TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Full credit to my buddy for convincing me to hop on the Shogun 1.5 day for a shot at early season BFT. We got on a batch in the morning darkness that bit the flat fall type lures at 120’ to 300’-ish. Most were hooked on heavy gear, and therefore, landed, with the biggest being the first fish decked. That one went 177# after G&G. My buddy got a good one at about 110# before that bite fizzled at first light. I was not able to connect on the jig in the darkness.
    Fast forward a few hours, and we got on a school that hung with us for a while. I hooked two on this drift, landed one. Both on the sinker rig. The second one I hooked was pretty surly and finally bit me off just outside of gaff range. When that was over we spent the day in search of another school that never really materialized. The only other action to be had was on some paddy YT which created a good bit of excitement for some!
    Weather was quite nice in spite of what the weekend forecast was calling for. All BFT save for one flyline fish were hooked deep (120’ plus), and they were all larger units—I think only one sub 100 pounder was weighed at the dock.
    What worked: big flat fall type glow jigs in the dark. The Shimano/Tady/Daiwa ones all produced. Flat fall bite was all in the darkness of early morning. The sinker rig fish were on anywhere from 4 to 8oz of lead and a 1/0 mutu on 60#. I got my bites using a 4oz sinker when the drift was slower—I felt like I should have at least some angle in my line, and 8 ounces sent the sardine straight down. Some guys hooked fish on 40# and lower using different methods, and paid the price of heartbreak in the end.
    Go get ‘em!
    167F97D4-03D8-467C-AFEA-EC72072ACC17.jpeg

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Thank you on the details, great report and nice fish!!

Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    Full credit to my buddy for convincing me to hop on the Shogun 1.5 day for a shot at early season BFT. We got on a batch in the morning darkness that bit the flat fall type lures at 120’ to 300’-ish. Most were hooked on heavy gear, and therefore, landed, with the biggest being the first fish decked. That one went 177# after G&G. My buddy got a good one at about 110# before that bite fizzled at first light. I was not able to connect on the jig in the darkness.
    Fast forward a few hours, and we got on a school that hung with us for a while. I hooked two on this drift, landed one. Both on the sinker rig. The second one I hooked was pretty surly and finally bit me off just outside of gaff range. When that was over we spent the day in search of another school that never really materialized. The only other action to be had was on some paddy YT which created a good bit of excitement for some!
    Weather was quite nice in spite of what the weekend forecast was calling for. All BFT save for one flyline fish were hooked deep (120’ plus), and they were all larger units—I think only one sub 100 pounder was weighed at the dock.
    What worked: big flat fall type glow jigs in the dark. The Shimano/Tady/Daiwa ones all produced. Flat fall bite was all in the darkness of early morning. The sinker rig fish were on anywhere from 4 to 8oz of lead and a 1/0 mutu on 60#. I got my bites using a 4oz sinker when the drift was slower—I felt like I should have at least some angle in my line, and 8 ounces sent the sardine straight down. Some guys hooked fish on 40# and lower using different methods, and paid the price of heartbreak in the end.
    Go get ‘em!
    View attachment 1271622
    Great report. Im out on the Polaris Supreme 3 day next week.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    "just out of gaff distance" ARGHH
    Great redemption!
    It might have been a bit farther than I let on, but not by much! I keep thinking I should not have pushed the lever past "full" but I was eager to end things--so was the fish, apparently! The line was cleanly cut, he just won his freedom with those bft choppers.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Wondering what braid you used with the 60# fluoro and if you had a section of mono? Would you have chosen something different if you had a choice?

80-lb braid to about 12’ of fluoro. I hardly ever add mono to the chain any more—actually never. Knowing the size of the fish, I probably would have bumped up to 80-lb fluoro. I did go to the 80-lb rig with a larger hook, but the bite died by then.
    One other thing I would do differently on next trip is not try to pack lightly on leader material. I left my spool of Blackwater 60# on my workbench...and I would have brought my sinker bag. I bummed the 4 ounce weight from my buddy, and bought some extras as insurance from the boat.
    For what it’s worth, I had two rigs set up the same way and hooked fish on both. The first was a 12VISX paired with a Calstar 770H, the second was a Torque 40NLD2 on a 800XXH. The 12 has line that I marked at every 50 feet. That was helpful keeping the bait at the right depth. Both setups were up to the task on this grade of fish.

Upvote 0