A GRIPE

Discussion in 'Shimano Fishing Gear' started by flipmlb, Sep 25, 2015.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I dont know who told you about not fitting carbon fiber washers in a gold trini.

mine has a set of carbontex drags along with cals grease, a clicking dog (from the trini DC) and cal drag plate and its a keeper.

2. ByFly

ByFly Newbie

Name:
    Bill Hempel
    Boat:
    Hell's Bay, Contender
    I think there is a lot more to the story. A rod breaking where that one did is suspect to me. Not in a good way either. Lot of BS going on here about how bad Shimano is. Sorry guys, I deal with their equipment on a daily basis along with Penn, Diawa, Avet, etc. Each has their quirks and great models but none of them are bad otherwise they would not be selling so very well.

3. HTA

HTA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A

I must say after owning/purchasing for gifts over 100 Avets and fishing up to 75 days a year on the water for the last 20 yearsI have never seen an Avet "blow up" but due to owner/operator error (re assemble wrong after maintenance) I have taken a few apart on the water and reassembled them so they work properly but that's about it. I too have run the cycle from Penns, Diawa, Shimanos, Accurates and settled on Avets after how well they cast and maintenance is very simple and I have never had a problem with customer service as I have had to only purchase 3 pinion bearings that were crushed because I have a friend who likes to fish way out side the JX 2 speed drag specs. That is a great product and a great service department because I only paid for 1 of the bearings the others they sent free of charge.

4. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    requiring a receipt is bullshit. Did you manufacture it? Is it defective or misused? No brainer.

5. Pauleye

Pauleye Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    22 Grady
    I recently had a rod replaced. Customer service was excellent. I followed the directions on the website which stated to include a copy of the receipt (I save my receipts for this purpose). Rod, warranty form, and receipt were shipped to Shimano. New rod sent back. I had another positive experience about 3 years ago. I have no problems or beef.

6. Pauleye

Pauleye Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    22 Grady
    Unfortunately, that leads to abuse of the warranty. Buy broken reels at yard sales and online, and expect Shimano to replace it because it says Shimano?

I'm not a die hard Shimano guy (but I do own and enjoy a bunch of them) as all my reels are left hand cranks (use someone else for conventional), but no Company would survive if what you suggested was part of their warranty. Profits do need to be made, so to cover the flea market repairs the new products would have to go way up in price to cover that warranty.

Companies warranty the original owner because that purchase benefits that company monetarily. A used purchase does not benefit the company monetarily, only the original owner.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    fishjunkie1 likes this.
  7. Bantam1

Bantam1 Shimano Rep Advertiser

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    Pauleye,

Thanks for the great post. You nailed it.

Pretty much any product you buy covered by a warranty will require a receipt for proof of purchase, or to show the purchase date.

All of our products are covered by a non transferable warranty that covers the original purchaser only.

8. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    anyone in the business can spot a yard sale item in 30 seconds. I stand by the products i manufacture without question and i am not going out of business as a result. In fact i grow my business as a result as folks rave over my quality and service. I do business with lots of companies who have loads of legal speak in their warranties to protect them but when the rubber meets the road they deliver. No bs and no receipt. Those are the companies i trade with and will continue to

9. lynndeva

lynndeva Fishing mom

Name:
    Debi
    Boat:
    Wellcraft Coastal
    My youngest snapped a newer shimano rod in half last fall. We lost the receipt, however, we walked into the Shimano place in Lake Forest and they didn't have that exact model so they shipped to us free of cost a comparable model with no proof of receipt. As far as reels go, we have a mixture of Avet, Shimano and Penn..we have gravitated back to Shimano because I feel the Avets were too finicky for us...with a boatload of kids all the time, we are hard on equipment 8-)

10. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Most fishing tackle is guaranteed free of mfg defects.Not against abuse or wearing out.I was taught many years ago from John Collins of Truline how to identify a defect blank.It happens but I have looked at thousands of broken rods and very few defective blanks.JMO,Tom

speyman likes this.
  11. Pauleye

Pauleye Newbie

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    22 Grady
    I think it's fair for me to say that if I bought a brand new reel and used it all season in the salt, it would look like a slightly used reel at the very least. Now, I can go to ebay right now and get that same reel that will look just as nice or maybe better from a private seller, at a discount. Not so confident you can tell the difference.

12. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    Having lived and worked in the biz for 20 years i can size you up in less than 5 minutes. Besides.... If I manufactured it and it failed in normal use my name is on it, it is guaranteed

13. kenstevens1

kenstevens1 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    none
    Shimano service for me is good. Reel seat on teramar broke. Went in and thry shipped new one. Still I was standing there and to save shipping costs probably could have handed me replacement. Daiwa did.