dtf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
All my good reels for tuna fishing are two speeds lever drags. Think I would like a star drag for better flyline bait casting, looking for better free spool, twenty lbs of drag minimum and low/no maintenance kind of reel, thinking in the 40/60 type of reel.
Any suggestions from personal experience would be very helpful.

THANKS

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
All my good reels for tuna fishing are two speeds lever drags. Think I would like a star drag for better flyline bait casting, looking for better free spool, twenty lbs of drag minimum and low/no maintenance kind of reel, thinking in the 40/60 type of reel.
Any suggestions from personal experience would be very helpful.
I Have my Trinadad 20 A loaded with White 65 Lb.
and a top Shot of 40 Lb. its perfect for what your looking
for
THANKS

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Baja special?

Not sure it will freespool much better than some of the newer light spool 2 speeds though

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Trini 40 x2. Mine just had new drag washers 20+ years later with many LARGE YT caught in between. Solid and reliable...worth the hurt $

HavasuSun

Jul 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Name
Scott
Boat
Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
Penn Fathom 40N. Absolutely the best bang for the buck out there. I have 3 of the 25N, a 40N, and a 60. I love them all. To be honest the 25N will probably do everything you need it to do plus more.

Reactions: AddyJ

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Lots of good star drag reels that fish up to 40 pound line but if you are definitely looking to also use 50 and 60, the field narrows considerably.
If you are in a super-heavy "abuse" situation, such as beach-launched Baja pangas, there is a reason why the current Penn US Senator 113N was originally called the Baja Special.
However, if you are mainly thinking of something that will cast small baits [even anchovies] and light surface iron, something in the classic Penn 99/Newell 332 size still holds a ton of line with a braid/topshot line system, and is perfect for 40-pound line, and fish under 50 pounds.
For 40-pound line work, if your budget is open, it hard to beat the Penn Torque 25N, and if you need to keep it under $250 or so, the Penn Fathom 25N give huge bang for the buck.

Hye

Oct 5, 2016
L.A.
Name
John
Boat
None
Trinidad 40 or 40n or Saltiga 40
Can't go wrong with these. Seen a few in the classifieds. Both the trini and the saltiga reels have a reputation for being great for casting. I own one of each. The older versions. I've never regretted the money I spent on them. When you can throw a sardine past the rest on a party boat your chances for hook up increase.

Idatuna

Jan 20, 2013
Idaho
Name
Jim
Boat
Bog Jumper
I looked into this same set up a while back. My thought was that the free spool in the lever drag reels has improved to the point that there was no need. Further, the lever drags allow lots of drag on a little spool full of 50lb spectra. I love my Baja Special (especially for yo yo work) but if I want to lob a light bait with heavy line I use a small lever drag full of 50lb spectra and a short top shot.