MattFred1414

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Today was an interesting day. First off. There was about three or four boats that came within 20-30 yards of my boat when we were fishing the kelp. The rest of the ocean was there go around.
Secondly the fishing was good. We started around 630. We Fished the kelp beds since we weren’t able to make it to nine. We ended up with about 10 rockfish 8 sculpin a whitefish and 3 keeper sheepshead. We noticed a lot of bait on top of the water and started throwing spoons and irons. Landed about 15 barracuda.
We fly lined sardines behind the boat and hooked up to the first yellowtail on my boat! We lost it at the boat when it wrapped up in the kelp. But it was a good fight and a learning experience because I’ve never hooked one.
We drifted into the kelp anddd the battery died on the boat. Had to call towboat and they came and gave us a jump. The hour we were waiting we threw some sardines out and for the second week in a row I caught my PB calico. This one was 22.5”.
Left the kelp and ended up at Zuniga fishing for halibut. Caught three butts, 21.75”, 21.5” and 20”. Also landed a guitarfish which I’ve never caught before.
An interesting day but it was a good one.

A5698764-94F3-4B89-955B-4E66E6CDF6ED.jpeg

B444F9A1-45EE-4065-A9DD-2ADFBC567E60.jpeg

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
Why couldn`t you make it to the 9?You need to buy one of the emergency jumpers,almost fit in your pocket,and i have started diesel trucks with them.

Reactions: woodfish330

radman

Jun 10, 2006
escondido
Name
Darrin
Boat
Stringari
I actually take 2 jumpers,but I am anal about things like that.I have 2 vhf radios and 2 handhelds,and 2 extra gps,2 extra bilge and hand pumps...lol.Been towed back a couple times,and it is no bueno!A year or so ago,we had a tuna trip planned,and somehow,the batteries were left on,and only a click when I hit the starter.I pulled out the lithium jumper,the ol Suzuki fired right up,and we didnt miss a beat.

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Sounds like a fun day for sure. That calico.....what a toad! Drifted "IN" the kelp..... those holes brother... fatties in there for sure. Nice PB. It's like you stumbled on a "buffet" like variety if fish!! Great post and picts. What more can you ask for?

(.....that damn Yellow Tail....lol)
Next time.

Be safe out there.

RodRage

Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Check your batterie connections EVERY time you leave the dock, NEVER shut down your motor offshore without a drift sock or at anchor and ALWAYS keep a jumper on board.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Weego makes a solid emergency jumper, never leave a dock without it, and it charges your phone/ipad, etc. Always has 30% off specials
Noco Genius makes GREAT jump starters, They also have a built in Strobe and SOS for Emergencies. They also make great on board battery chargers that can also repair batteries as there charging. Take a look at them, You won't be disappointed.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Little know fact. Guitarfish is very good eating. It's just a shame to kill one for very little meat. Only did it once when I caught one about that size from the surf. Filet it on the spot. Again unbelievably delicious.

EDIT - I already have two non-believers this morning . . .

"Once landed, care should be taken to keep the meat fresh. The fish are easy to clean. Lay the fish out just like they lay in the sand. Make two cuts down the back from the disk to the end of the tail, one on either side where the backbone would be. Make a cut from the front of each to the two previous cuts out to the edge of the disk. Simply open the skin up. Looking in you will see two fillets, one on either side running the length of the tail. Reach in and simply work the meat loose with your fingers and remove it from the body cavity. Next, cut off any small pieces of red meat. You will be left with two long, bone-free fillets. You can eat the fillets fresh or soak them overnight in some water in your refrigerator before eating. You will wind up with fish as good as any you can buy in the store"

and . . . .

Guitarfish (Shovelnose Shark) — This most primitive of rays (along with thornback rays) is also one of the best eating. In shape it is quite different from most rays. It has relatively narrow "wings" which are useless for eating; instead it has a long, thick broad-based tail that is full of meat.

I am not advocating decimating the population. Try it once, you'll like it and be surprised. Just like I surprised when I ate a Lizard fish.

:rofl:

Last edited:

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Little know fact. Guitarfish is very good eating. It's just a shame to kill one for very little meat. Only did it once when I caught one about that size from the surf. Filet it on the spot. Again unbelievably delicious.
I don’t like to kill anything in the shark/ray family they just take too long to grow. That being said I may keep a mako one day.

Last edited:

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
First off. There was about three or four boats that came within 20-30 yards of my boat when we were fishing the kelp. The rest of the ocean was there go around.
For some reason this must be the season for that. It's a more common occurrence for me as well when I'm out each time I to have boats do that. 2 days ago we had a yacht cross our bow at 10 yards who was going 15-20 knots... I just don't get it. I can count on it happing to the point of putting money on it, defore leaving the dock.

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Not trying to be that guy!! But the ocean is a serious place! I run the motor on completely separate battery from the other electronics. The bait well is on another. Then have a bridge switch that allows all batteries to be made available to the motor. This way battery is never an issue. Hope this helps. Be safe

Reactions: boxofrain

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
Not trying to be that guy!! But the ocean is a serious place! I run the motor on completely separate battery from the other electronics. The bait well is on another. Then have a bridge switch that allows all batteries to be made available to the motor. This way battery is never an issue. Hope this helps. Be safe
Once I get my trolling motor installed I will have all the electronics and bait run off of the trolling motor batteries.

Hookup562

Mar 29, 2020
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream 232
How hard is it to do that on a 30 ft 300 Grady White Marlin? Could I hire a mechanic to set that up on my boat? I love that idea.

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Once I get my trolling motor installed I will have all the electronics and bait run off of the trolling motor batteries.
It’s generally not a good idea to run electronics off trolling motor batts. Modern trolling motors cause tons of electronic noise, sufficient to disrupt and even damage electronics.

MattFred1414

Jan 3, 2020
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
17ft Pro Steelheader
It’s generally not a good idea to run electronics off trolling motor batts. Modern trolling motors cause tons of electronic noise, sufficient to disrupt and even damage electronics.
Good to know. That could be why I have interference on my fish finder.

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
How many folks runs both batteries at the same time (on a switch) or only run 1 battery? I run only 1 and keep the other one for starting, just in case. They are always topped off prior to departure. Is this a standard? I think a jumper pack is probably a good idea too-