A few thoughts on Long Range or fishing in general

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by fishordie, Sep 3, 2011.

1. fishordie

fishordie I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
    Good morning all,

I apologize in advance if I get carried away with the following post but heck,
    I am waiting for an appointment and have nothing better to do....LOL

Coming back home from another wonderful Excel/Gallagher 8 day adventure I was thinking about how the world of West Coast Long Range and fishing in general has changed over the last 5 decades and in some very important ways stayed the same.

For some of us Fishing was the only way we could connect with our fathers who tended to be hard nosed, teaching their sons to be tough, in order to survive what they perceived as a cold hard world. I suppose for some it was just their way of preparing their sons for another potential Depression such as they experienced in the 20's and 30's (I hope that is not too prophetic). Somehow, without talking much, for the time we were fishing or just at sea, it seemed like there was an unspoken bond between us which did not exist away from the food gathering aspect of fishing. Without getting too existential, be it father and son or just getting together with folks who have a primal instinct to fish or gather food, finding those with like minds or instincts seems to be food for the soul. A certain joy which cannot be purchased, at any price, in our everyday world. What other sports do we enjoy where we can come in as a single, not knowing anyone else previously, and with just a simple hello or good attitude end up making acquaintances and possibly close friends for life in the span of a short trip.

It's amazing but on a fishing boat there is no difference between a Rockefeller and a Smith or Jones. Where one exists daily in the Social Strata of the regular world is wiped away the moment one steps aboard. In truth, those who can afford the fanciest rods and reels suddenly find themselves on a level playing field with those who are fishing mostly hand me down, loaner gear or lesser expensive equipment yet have practiced or have more experience. One cannot buy their way to a jackpot or the ability to catch more fish. Certainly, given equal skill and knowledge, the better equipment will make the anglers life easier and perhaps translate into more fish in the end, however, there is also an unknown factor wherein a newcomer can still catch the jackpot or larger grade of fish. In essence what other sport can a newcomer come in their first time and in some ways "Win the game" by winning the jackpot?? (More on that in another post)

Getting back to father's and son's or in this last trips case Uncle's and Nephews as well as Co-Workers, it is amazing how tight folks become or perhaps just tighten their existing bond when finding themselves in a relatively small space doing what they love to do or perhaps genetically disposed to do. I discuss with many people how finding peace in our own lives might be as simple as finding out what we were genetically disposed to do. How often do we see Accountants, Lawyers, Doctors, Contractors, Ditch Diggers or ???? truly at peace with themselves when doing what they were "Trained" to do. Yet put those same folks aboard a fishing boat and suddenly, for many of us, we find an unexplainable joy and peace from just being aboard or even just fishing from the shore of an ocean or lake. Heck, how many of us just love being in a fishing tackle store where the smell, sights and sounds of the potential for fishing is an aphrodisiac or a place of solace.

Perhaps I am getting carried away with this whole concept but perhaps not. My point of this whole post was to note if there is anyway any of us, who have been fortunate enough to discover this peace and joy called fishing, can get our children, friends, acquaintances, Co-workers, Boss's, etc. onto a Long Range boat, preparing them with Dramamine and some pre trip fishing lessons, perhaps you might be doing an incredible favor to someone in need of finding their true calling or at least a place where they too can find peace away from the rat race. I know this sport can be a bit expensive but what is the price for finding personal peace or true food for the soul??

Okay, I must still be tired as this was a bit sappy but what the heck.

Jamie

2. Bill W

Bill W tunaholic

Name:
    Bill Walsh
    Boat:
    Red Rooster
    So well put Jaime,
    Fish come and go but the expierence of a long range trip for me is exactly the way you put it. Sure, the first time going is to see how big a pile of fish you can mass but as time goes on it comes down to sharing a common expierence. Truthfully, now it would be no fun to fish alone...

3. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    No one in my family fishes. My dad hates it. My uncles hate it. My brothers have no friggin clue what it is I see in going out on the water. I never fished with my grandpa when he was around. For some reason I've always been drawn to it.

I went on my first tuna trip when I was 12 years old and I have been addicted to it like a junkie is to heroin. My mom would wake up at 0'dark 30 on saturdays (after teaching 5th graders all week) and drive me to the harbor, drop me off, and then come back later on to pick me up. Hell... my Mom flew with me to san diego and dropped me on the deck of the Q105 for my first long range trip I ever did when I was 13 (man did I mow a ton of lawns to pay for that trip).

I can't really explain what it is about fishing that holds my interest like nothing else. I fish around 100 days a year (being a self-employed [rod builder] college student has it's perks) and I still get just as excited as I did when I was young. Being out on the water gives me a true sense of "inner peace" if you will. Nothing else matters. For some reason there's a story that sticks out in my mind and I don't think I'll ever forget it. It's about the guy who caught the world record Yellowtail on (I believe) the AA. A couple hours after catching it, he collapsed from a heart attack and died on the boat. Nothing about dying is good, but if I'm lucky enough to die that way, I'll consider myself blessed.

4. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Jamie my brother you and people like you are the reason I love long range fishing...I have made friends for life on these trips....sadly one of my best friend passed away a couple months ago and it makes it seem more important than ever to make the time to be on the deck of a long range boat with my friends......the fish are the bonus....

5. wxdunn

wxdunn Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    So true, David. It's all about the experience that is unlike anything else out there. I took my son (9) on his first 1/2 day trip earlier this year and made it a point to tell him to stop, breathe in the salt air, look around at the water, the orange glow in the sky just after sunset, the sights, smells and sounds that draw us all to the water. THAT is what it's all about, local or long range (although LR certainly has its benefits!). The fish are the bonus. Almost forgot to mention the great people I have met and fished with on those trips over the years. You board as strangers but come away as good friends. :)
    BTW...my mom drove me down to SD for my first LR trip on the Q105 when I was 15. Yes, I saved a long time for that 5-day trip and was woefully unprepared, but I've been hooked ever since. That was nearly 30 years ago!

6. widgeon

widgeon Ex-Hunter and gatherer

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    Tarpon 140
    Great read and insight into the mind of an angler. All I can add is that , to me, hunting is the same way and I am truly blessed to be addicted to both.
    All of my closest friends are just that because we have spent time out in the field, on the water or both.

I'll drink to that...:cheers:

7. dishdoc

dishdoc Newbie

Name:
    Gordon
    Boat:
    waverunner
    You know what? I really never thought about it before, but all my best friends and family members fish, hunt or both. Thanks for giving me a chance to appreciate them!

8. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Hi David,

Yes, Ray will be sorely missed but we did get to enjoy his last long range trip together and none of us will ever forget it. Heck, we almost lost him on that one. None the less he is and was part of the experience and though he is gone we still will toast each trip you and I share to his memory and the memory of experiences we and especiially you and he shared. NIIIIICE.

Jamie

9. fishordie

Name:
    Jamie
    Boat:
    Thank you Bill,

I still remember the trip you and I shared. WE had a blast and if I remember correctly the fishing was NOT off the hook but a great time we had none the less. By the way how is that great jig bag of yours?? Seems to me you rivaled me in that regard....LOL We did have fun and I look forward to sharing that rail with you again in the future.

Jamie

10. Below Frigid

Below Frigid Newbie

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    C Dory 16
    I remember the trip I shared with Jamie, David and Ray. Ray was having a rough time on that trip but I remember him getting to reel on one the last day of fishing. That trip seems like it was just last week and it was over a year ago.It was my trip of a life time. Thanks Jamie and David for helping make it such a special time. RIP Ray!

11. spike

spike Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Spike Ivins
    Boat:
    any chance I get
    Great post Jamie. In my opinion, their are no fishing trips that compare to Long Range Fishing trips, (figure at least a 4 or 5 day of longer). I enjoy the comadery amongst anglers, I have made many of friends aboard LR trips, friendships that last a life time. I have seen it many times, complete strangers with nothing in common what so ever get along and share stories as if they were sitting at a camp fire. Every angler aboard has one thing in common, they enjoy fishing, from expert to novice anglers. I've seen many complete opposites become great friends.

12. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    going out again for my 12th long range trip........wouldn't trade it for anything.

13. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Yeah, it's a beautiful thing.

Fishing is certainly a gift from the men who came before us: fathers, uncles, grandfathers. They typically give us that gift by teaching us when we're kids. I was thrilled at the prospect of doing the same for my son. However, he came down with autism before he hit two years old and it broke my heart. He's the last man with the family name. We've worked endlessly for the past 4 years to recover him and just recently he told me that he really wants to go out and catch yellow fin tuna with me. He's seen the videos I've brought back from the RP. He's 6 and weighs 40 pounds so I've been teaching him skills so that we can make that trip someday when he weighs a little more. We've been practicing on trout and bluegills. Pretty cool. That first long-range trip with him will be a huge victory.

Last trip out my partners and I made friends with a couple guys who live nearby and we'll be taking our next long range trip with them. Crazy bastards...just like us. Fishermen seem to share that same, twisted sense of humor, for some reason.

14. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    Man... That's awesome that he wants to go with you. When you guys are ready PM me and I'll build a rod for your little guy so that it'll fit him and he can get it in whatever colors he wants. Just pay for the materials and I'll wrap it up at no charge (hell, I'd donate the whole thing but unfortunately I am not in the position to do so).