ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
Awesome pics - what a drastic transition of boat building from pacific sea craft (classic sail) to cabo sport fish - what was the driver of this - for builders and boaters there is a huge dividing line - what was the early motivation to dump the mast and add the outriggers?

Not to steal Barrett's thunder, but as I understand the history......

I think it was more along the lines of sailboat business sold with a non-compete which lead to boats being built with no sails......

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Awesome pics - what a drastic transition of boat building from pacific sea craft (classic sail) to cabo sport fish - what was the driver of this - for builders and boaters there is a huge dividing line - what was the early motivation to dump the mast and add the outriggers?

Real simple, a non-compete clause. They sold Pacific Seacraft in 1989 right after I popped out. They spent the better part of a year researching the market and finding out what people were looking for. They looked at Blackfin, Bertram, and Radovich really hard and tried to combine the best of every boat and make it into one.

That and they were tired of sailboats. Building a sport fisher is so much more fun than building a blowboat... (don't ask how I know that)

Upvote 0

nunyabizness1

BD Den Momma
Feb 9, 2007
San Diego
Name
Nunya
Boat
S. S. Minnow
Great post and pics. It's cool to see the history and hear your memories from your younger years. Yup, I see where you got the fro from!

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Great post and pics. It's cool to see the history and hear your memories from your younger years. Yup, I see where you got the fro from!

My dad gave me a great set of hair thats for sure. Theres a picture somewhere out there of him in the 70's with a 3 foot fro. He got kicked out of a Bob's Big Boy in the 70's because his hair was too big!

Here are a few more pictures..

35 Express layout drawing
PD_0086.jpg

Early early sketch of what later became a design for a 57. Man I really wish we would have built that boat. It would have been an absolute BEAST! This drawing was based more off the design for a 35. The later design followed the more swept lines of the 47.
PD_0090.jpg

Henry receiving the 1997 Boating Magazine Boat Of The Year Award for the 45 Express.
PD_0064.jpg

The Cabo standard for wiring.
PD_0052.jpg

This is a picture of 45 flybridge hull #1. What many people don't know is that the 47 started it's life as a 45. It was based off of the same hull as the 45 and the first boat was pulled from the same hull mold. About 3 weeks before the Fort Lauderdale boat show, my dad decided to extend the boat by two feet in the cockpit. I still remember him literally taking a chainsaw to the cockpit just aft of the fuel tank, he did it right after dinner one night :rofl: The guys came in the next day completely flabbergasted at what had happened. They got it extended and the boat debuted with the largest and most spacious cockpit offered on a boat that size. They went on to build 41 47's then later extended the house by 14 inches and called it the 48.
PD_0051.jpg

This is a photo of South Jersey Champion, 47 hull #4. This boat went from Newport Beach all the way through the Panama Canal then up to New York then eventually made it's way back down to New Jersey. Mike Adkins was the captain and he graciously invited my dad, our plant manager George and myself to take the ride from Newport to Cabo with them. That was my first trip South on a boat, I was only 12. Hull 3 was used as a test boat to try and move weight around. It was built with 800 MAN's and was a hollow shell inside. We strapped a bunch of 55 gallon drums and filled them accordingly until we got the perfect weight and distribution. That was the only boat we ever sold as an unfinished product. Last I remember it went back east where a gentleman put a pretty bitchen interior in the thing.
PD_0074.jpg

Our first real company boat. This boat was named Picoso and was hull number 74. Talk about one lucky and fishy boat. While it was in Cabo San Lucas we had it in the Picante fleet as a charter boat. One day we got a call from Phil, the owner of Picante, saying that he had a customer that wanted to buy the boat. My dad said sell it! The very next day the new owner took his boat out and put a 970 pound marlin on the deck, a perfect way to break his boat in.
PD_0023.jpg

This was our second company boat, Salsa! This boat also ended up in Cabo San Lucas in the Picante fleet. This picture is when my dad took out all the kids from the captains of the Picante fleet out for the day on a fishing trip. We caught a marlin, some tuna and a dorado. We had the craziest pillow fight, it was awesome. Thats me in the tower on the left.
PD_0021.jpg

Last but not least, this is what happens when you park next to a mis-wired Hatterras...
PD_0040.jpg

Hope you guys like the pictures.

Barrett

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
I could not get enough, what is the connection between Cabo boats (small, cuddy-con) and Cabo yachts?.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2009
HB
Name
Mike
Boat
Shamrock CC
This is pretty cool! How's the cliche saying go, "like father, like son". You definitely fit the mold!

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Great stuff there, I love seeing classic California boat building. In high school I worked in Costa Mesa midway between Skip jack and Ditmar Donaldson I spent many lunch hours checking out their work. California sure could use another boat manufacturer like Cabo....

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
Thread of the year...thanks for posting. You have one of the greatest upbringings ever, and its cool that you too are into boating. A lot of kids turn away from the family business growing up like you did.

Very cool man

Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
I need to add some more content to this thread! Thanks for all the replys, it's amazing how many people actually knew where we were. It still sucks driving by the factory and not seeing all the molds out there, it's even harder to go into the buildings.

Here are a bunch of pictures from 1990 when my mom and dad were making the plug for the 35.
PD_0038-1.jpg

PD_0024-1.jpg

PD_0030-1.jpg

PD_0022-1.jpg

PD_0020-1.jpg

PD_0015-1.jpg

PD_0013-1.jpg

PD_0012-1.jpg

PD_0011-1.jpg

PD_0009-1.jpg

PD_0007-1.jpg

PD_0006-1.jpg

PD_0002-1.jpg

PD_0004-1.jpg

PD_0005-1.jpg

PD_0021-1.jpg

Barrett

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mag Bay Yachts

Formerly Captain CABO
Advertiser
Nov 16, 2004
Newport Beach CA
www.magbayyachts.com
Name
Barrett
Boat
Mag Bay 33
Who's that little turd in the third picture down..... That be you Barrett??

The unknown fisherman:p:

Yeah thats me. I don't remember that far back but apparently I was there from the start!

PD_0036-1.jpg

Thread of the year...thanks for posting. You have one of the greatest upbringings ever, and its cool that you too are into boating. A lot of kids turn away from the family business growing up like you did.

Very cool man

Thanks Travis. I was into it from the beginning, I even slept in a boat for my first couple years. I'm incredibly grateful to my parents for letting me pursue what I love and to be a part of everything. Most all of my old family photos are on boats, it's actually a challenge to find a picture where we are not wearing some kind of boating shirt or are on a boat. I hope when I have kids someday they will like all this as much as I did.

Here was my crib
PD_0086.jpg

PD_0064.jpg

PD_0026.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0