Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I’m guessing someone should call Seaforth and ask about these Bombs. I nominate Kub.

Russ Scholl

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 1, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Name
Russ Scholl
Boat
Kayaks
Great -

Another thread about catching bycatch.

Please Tim, give us some more.
John-can’t wait for the next Team Hoo Cow Hunt. Hope the Wahoo and Grouper fishing is off the charts! Haha! No really I understand why you are after cows and the rest is by-catch-that was a beautiful cow you caught!

Reactions: JohnTFT

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
John-can’t wait for the next Team Hoo Cow Hunt. Hope the Wahoo and Grouper fishing is off the charts! Haha! No really I understand why you are after cows and the rest is by-catch-that was a beautiful cow you caught!
Russ - There is a method to my madness.

When the trip is called the cow hunt - well lets hunt cows.

Big or bust is my motto!

Talk Soon.

Reactions: Russ Scholl

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Andy is hardcore big fish and will not stop on the way and will stay down there to the last minute with any signs...

Goosed10

Jul 12, 2008
Murrieta,Ca
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Can someone cover drag settings fishing wahoo? Seams there’s such a variety of leaders from, wire -120# flouro. Is it same 30% rule?

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I usually fish lighter drags with bait and heavier drag with jigs and bombs. Gotta have that good hookset.

Reactions: Bill W

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
View attachment 1084022 I returned from the Malibu Tackle 10 day on the Excel on 10/19. I’d call what we experienced very good wahoo fishing; 127 for 26 passengers.

The grade of wahoo on The Ridge this year is very good; not many fish less than 30#. Lots of fish over 40#. We had two over 70#; a 74+ and a 73+. I had a 65#; a new personal best.

A few observations on methods/techniques:

Trolling: The DTX Nomads worked well if you got one that swims. Too many of them don’t swim out of the box and I saw too many break after a few fish. Marauders and Intruders worked; we had one Intruder cut off and lost in a tangle...

Bombs: Captain Jimmy’s in green worked very well as did the JRI bombs. Other colors also worked, but the greens seemed to work best. I fished all of my bombs (and jigs) straight tied on double 50#; no wire. And I cut the spinner blades off of all my bombs. Why? So I can wind them faster.

Jigs: Gold Raiders worked well as did Salas 6X Jrs and the smaller Salas Christy 2s. The 74.4# wahoo was caught on a black/orange Salas Christy 2 (rigged with the single hook replaced by a sharper/stronger Owner ST66 treble hook). I personally like smaller jigs like Salas 6X Jrs, the even smaller Salas Christy 2, and Megabaits. Why do I like the smaller jigs? Because I can wind them faster.

Bait: A few caught, but not that many people fished bait. Most of our bait was generally small (4”) and not all that strong. When fishing bait on the drift I almost always use a small (1/4 or 3/8 ounce) sliding sinker. And a very light drag is key to success when using light line/wire for wahoo.

One last point that I’ve posted previously, the most effective technique for wahoo when fishing with bombs/jigs is fast; a fast retrieve is the key to getting bit. If you can’t wind fast for the entire length of your cast, then make shorter casts. It’s much more effective to make two or three shorter casts that you can wind full speed than a longer cast that you’re unable to wind full speed for the entire length of the cast.

Just my observations and opinions. Good luck to those leaving soon and I hope that this info helps.
Howdy. from your observation ,I believe your a good wahoo slayer. Good write up.

Attachments

Reactions: ripped

rickberg

Jul 2, 2009
saratoga ca
Name
rickberg
Boat
17 montauk bostin whaler
Good Info. I have a couple buddies out right now and I hope they are loading up on those big skins. What I noticed most about the DTX was the amount of time the crew spent untangling them on the troll teams. Seamed like every troll team got tangled up with a DTX that wouldn't track. I was happy to put my cowbell way back in the pattern and stay out of their way. Once the DTXs were all out of commission, everyone went to the Marauders and we did just a good and way fewer tangles.
Been having better luck using the speed pro 180’s. They track better than the Dt minnows. The plus of the Williamson speed pro is the price $14 bucks, just need to switch out the trebles for j hooks.
I get better results fishing both the speedpro and the dt minnow when I put a 150# swivel in the eye ring and use 180# single strand wire leaders

Reactions: Bill W

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Been having better luck using the speed pro 180’s. They track better than the Dt minnows. The plus of the Williamson speed pro is the price $14 bucks, just need to switch out the trebles for j hooks.
I get better results fishing both the speedpro and the dt minnow when I put a 150# swivel in the eye ring and use 180# single strand wire leaders

what J hooks did you use??

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Williamson makes a few different style j hooks or uses a few different j hooks. I wonder what type was used?

Ran into some Williamsons (Trusted Rapala Brand always swims) this week at the Costa Rica and Panama border. On the Panama side which is the dollar system btw. Cool to find them randomly in a duty free store.

Picked up a 2 ounce jet popper, pumped. Jet holes to create bubbles. Try it out tomorrow and Saturday. Good quality and the trebles for inshore are fine. For big Wahoo trolling and big tuna around. I would change to a single hook for sure

This pink Williamson 180. Had eat me written all over it. Convert to single hook for LR booyah. I witnessed the Williamson 180 in red and white. Outfish all other troll jigs 2 days in a row at Alijos. Only one Williamson on the boat rod. It went out almost every troll turn and the boat went through 4.5 trolling rotations. It got bit almost everytime the boat stopped. We did have lots of doubles and some triples. It was 🔥and I think it actually had been converted to owner trebles and was being used at Alijos. No big tuna by catch chances there but owner trebles don't spread anyways

The pink one
20200228_173000~3.jpg

The red and white gets bit. The black and purple must get bit and the orange and white tiger :D and just orange
s-l300.jpg

Bubbles for Roosters. Makes them mad
20200305_135833~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cubeye

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Can someone cover drag settings fishing wahoo? Is it same 30% rule?
It is pretty much still the 30% rule. Heavy line, big hooks, bombs and jigs, casting and tolling >20# and up.

Live bait, light line with small hook 10-12#

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishybuzz