carloscafe

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 9, 2012
Sacramento
Name
Darrin
Boat
N/A
So I have been long range fishing for many years and have always tried to get my brothers to go with me. Well with the blue-fin being so close and the stars aligned they went with me on an Island Tackle sponsored 3 day trip on the Royal Star. So before I tell the story here are the nuts and bolts.
What worked: Small Colt Sniper
Lots of fish on the sinker/ rubber band rig
Fly line bait on 40 or 50 lb floro
Small Hooks
Fish were various sizes 30-40 lbs and a lot of 60-80 lbs. Never knew what you were going to get
I don't think we had any fish on flat fall or on the troll. Flew the kite for i believe 1 smaller fish.
Jack pot fish was 84 lbs i believe.

OK so now for the story................ I drive from Sacramento to usually stop in Los Angeles to visit with family and while talking with by brother he said he wanted to go. Then my other brother said he was going to go too. This was 3 weeks before the trip and they made there reservations. WOW......I going to get my 2 brothers on a long range boat. I told them they would be ruined by going on the Royal Star for there 1st long range experience.
Anticipation for the trip was at an all time high. I could not wait until departure day. We arrived at Fisherman's landing at 0600 to watch the unload of
others boats and when they saw the size of the fish coming off, there mouths were wide open and had big grins.
So we board, get bait and head out. We will be fishing later in the afternoon
The Royal star crew provided all the instructions on what they should do, pinned baits and cast lines and were right by there side whenever they needed assistance.
The end results were near limits for them both. Just to see the smile on there face when they hear the thud of a fish hitting the deck was awesome. They both got personal best of 75 and 70 lb BFT.
I can't say enough about the crew. They took these new long rangers and treated them like family. In talking with the crew they stated they had success because they listen to the crew. What a concept..............Listen to the crew and you will catch fish.
There are many stories i could tell about the trip, but i will focus on the last 2 fish we caught. It was bottom of the 9th with 2 out and 2 strikes. We has just finished our last dinner of prime rib with all the fixings and dessert of cheese cake. Captain Randy slows the boat and says let try this spot as he sees fish deep. Now at this point i had broken down all the gear except for 3 rods. So I tell my brothers lets do 1 more drop. Reluctantly they leave the galley and head to the rail. I give my younger brother my rod and he drops a bait and he heads up the rail. Before I get my older brothers baited, i hear the holler of "hook up". Guess who is one? Yep, My younger brothers. And what does he do? He calls in his older brother in and gives him a hook and hand. He is a fast learner.
So i give him another rod and tell him to do the same exact thing again. And what does he do? Yep. He hooks another. Now mind you the 1st fish he hooked is not even on the deck. The beast finally gets on deck and its a PB of 75 lb. BFT. But wait......He is still on the 2nd fish. So he hands the rod to me and i fight the fish and get it to gaff and its was a 64 lb BFT.
This was an epic end to a great trip. Smiles and high fives all around. I want to share 1 picture. NOTE: We took our mask off only for this picture.
Older bother on the Left, I'm in the middle and Younger brother on the right. They are both hooked . They will be back

If you ever take someone new fishing, just let the crew know and tell them to listen to the crew... Randy, Brian, Blake, Ryan, Jake and Kono were all awesome. The Royal Star never lets you down in the customer service department.

20200714_194959.jpg

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Your smiles say it all. Ya got a nice poster there. Great report.

Reactions: Brad I

Cplug

Jul 19, 2014
Name
Cplug
Boat
II Sons
Great write-up and thanks for the share. And yes, Royal Star (with or without a cameo by Capt. Randy) is the way to fly.

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Judging by the boots, the rookies are on both ends and the pro is in the middle, sorrect?
Nice job. Family fishing, memories forever

Reactions: Dave Coopman

AlaskanPancakes

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 14, 2017
San Diego
Name
Jp
Boat
Anyboat
Love it! I can tell how happy you are to be out there with your family through your words. Glad you all had a great time together!

tom fowlks

tommy tuna
Apr 11, 2018
Los Angeles
Name
tommy tuna
Boat
Shogun
fantastic!! the long range fishing is a new thing for me & I have been trying to get my brother out for a few years now. will share this with him tonight! the photo alone will sell it.

Green Ogre

Apr 28, 2009
Orygun
Name
Shrek
Boat
Willie Predator, Learned Dory
That’s an awesome report and great pics.

How small of Snipers? 60-80?

Dropped or casted?

How heavy of lead on the sinker rigs?

I’m putting my gear together for a 3 day that leaves Sunday.

That pic made me smile. Thanks.

carloscafe

Jan 9, 2012
Sacramento
Name
Darrin
Boat
N/A
That’s an awesome report and great pics.

How small of Snipers? 60-80?

Dropped or casted?

How heavy of lead on the sinker rigs?

I’m putting my gear together for a 3 day that leaves Sunday.

That pic made me smile. Thanks.
Yes 60 gram. Very small in the anchovie pattern. Dropped over the side. Some were hit on the drop so be ready.
6 or 8 oz for sinker rig
Have a good trip.

FLLR1

Jan 30, 2006
Florida
Name
LT
Boat
Boston Whaler
What a great trip with your brothers. Congrats!

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
Apr 8, 2006
Blue Marble
Name
Grinner
Boat
A Big One - That Floats
"I see a couple pair of brand new Xtratuf's, 4 to 6.., or more - brand new UCs, two SKB 7100's, several new penny... Okuma, Accurate or Avet reels, three pair of Costa sunglasses... and un-ending good times..." Sam and his crew at Island Tackle are the best. And the Star is a good ride too.

Reactions: Scott McPherson

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I see some great memories and some good eats!

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
Aug 17, 2017
Califonia
Name
Scott
Boat
Shogun
So I have been long range fishing for many years and have always tried to get my brothers to go with me. Well with the blue-fin being so close and the stars aligned they went with me on an Island Tackle sponsored 3 day trip on the Royal Star. So before I tell the story here are the nuts and bolts.
What worked: Small Colt Sniper
Lots of fish on the sinker/ rubber band rig
Fly line bait on 40 or 50 lb floro
Small Hooks
Fish were various sizes 30-40 lbs and a lot of 60-80 lbs. Never knew what you were going to get
I don't think we had any fish on flat fall or on the troll. Flew the kite for i believe 1 smaller fish.
Jack pot fish was 84 lbs i believe.

OK so now for the story................ I drive from Sacramento to usually stop in Los Angeles to visit with family and while talking with by brother he said he wanted to go. Then my other brother said he was going to go too. This was 3 weeks before the trip and they made there reservations. WOW......I going to get my 2 brothers on a long range boat. I told them they would be ruined by going on the Royal Star for there 1st long range experience.
Anticipation for the trip was at an all time high. I could not wait until departure day. We arrived at Fisherman's landing at 0600 to watch the unload of
others boats and when they saw the size of the fish coming off, there mouths were wide open and had big grins.
So we board, get bait and head out. We will be fishing later in the afternoon
The Royal star crew provided all the instructions on what they should do, pinned baits and cast lines and were right by there side whenever they needed assistance.
The end results were near limits for them both. Just to see the smile on there face when they hear the thud of a fish hitting the deck was awesome. They both got personal best of 75 and 70 lb BFT.
I can't say enough about the crew. They took these new long rangers and treated them like family. In talking with the crew they stated they had success because they listen to the crew. What a concept..............Listen to the crew and you will catch fish.
There are many stories i could tell about the trip, but i will focus on the last 2 fish we caught. It was bottom of the 9th with 2 out and 2 strikes. We has just finished our last dinner of prime rib with all the fixings and dessert of cheese cake. Captain Randy slows the boat and says let try this spot as he sees fish deep. Now at this point i had broken down all the gear except for 3 rods. So I tell my brothers lets do 1 more drop. Reluctantly they leave the galley and head to the rail. I give my younger brother my rod and he drops a bait and he heads up the rail. Before I get my older brothers baited, i hear the holler of "hook up". Guess who is one? Yep, My younger brothers. And what does he do? He calls in his older brother in and gives him a hook and hand. He is a fast learner.
So i give him another rod and tell him to do the same exact thing again. And what does he do? Yep. He hooks another. Now mind you the 1st fish he hooked is not even on the deck. The beast finally gets on deck and its a PB of 75 lb. BFT. But wait......He is still on the 2nd fish. So he hands the rod to me and i fight the fish and get it to gaff and its was a 64 lb BFT.
This was an epic end to a great trip. Smiles and high fives all around. I want to share 1 picture. NOTE: We took our mask off only for this picture.
Older bother on the Left, I'm in the middle and Younger brother on the right. They are both hooked . They will be back

If you ever take someone new fishing, just let the crew know and tell them to listen to the crew... Randy, Brian, Blake, Ryan, Jake and Kono were all awesome. The Royal Star never lets you down in the customer service department.

View attachment 1171347
Thank you for a great report!! Great family photo too. Royal Star is a top notch operation. So is Island Tackle.
Regards
Scott

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Now this is what Long Range Sport Fishing is all about! Family, friends, fish and food on a memorable oceanic adventure! The Royal Star is a very good operation. Always listen to the crew and keep on fishing until the last moment are words to live by...

Congratulations on a great trip and thanks for the report.

- Jeff Burroughs

hot tuna

May 7, 2007
Tahoe
Name
Steve
Boat
clawfoot tub
Great picture and report!

I think I heard you call in to let’s talk hook up the week before your trip. Your excitement was exuding while you talked with Simms. Way to get your bros out on The star for first ride!!