carloscafe

Almost A Member
Jan 9, 2012
Ventura as of 3/2021
Name
Darrin
Boat
N/A
So, this is the 2nd year my brother's have joined me on a mini-long range trip. With the fishing in local waters being so close, I was contemplating putting this in the So. Cal section, but I opted for the long range section.

My 2 brothers joined me and they had a blast. Being able to spend time with family in your passion is priceless.

Anticipation was at an all time high, with all the reports of big bluefin in the local waters. This was an Island tackle trip. If you are in the South Bay area, go see Kevin and he will take care of any and everything you need to be prepared for these big fish.
Here are a few notes:
1. Get rest when you can. With the fish being so close and those silly bluefin wanting to bite when we should be sleep, we were up late every night.
2. Listen to the crew. We had Captian Blake at the helm and if you know him, you know he is a die hard fisherman. If you listened to the crew you caught fish.

What worked....
1. Sinker rig was very effective. 8 oz is what I used.
2. Mark your line. You need to know how deep the fish are for sinker rig and fishing the flatfall..
3. Fly line bait worked on the smaller grade fish. No kite fishing on this trip.
4. Knife jig and flatfalls for night fishing. I don't think it mattered if it glowed in the dark.

The 1st night we had 18 fish all over 100 lbs. I think for the total trip, we had 39 over 100. Biggest was 196.
We had a lot of the 40-80 lb. fish. The Royal Star as always did not disappoint in the service department.
Hope this helps..... Go get sum

1626326023464.png
1626326056094.png

1626326080357.png
1626326103607.png

Last edited:
A
abenny22
You guys making the 7 day over Labor Day again? Good times last year
Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
I need a trip like that with my bros, thanks for the report.

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Nice post and great picts. Wanna know.... which one of your family won the competition?....lol. Can't put 3 brothers on The same boat and trip without a little healthy competition...right. Glad you got some. Shared some valuable tips.... nice post. Congrats.

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :appl:

Reactions: locvetter
    Upvote 0

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
    Feb 8, 2011
    Westchester NY
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
    Great sounding bro trip!
    REEL nice post and great pictures.
    THANKS for the info on what worked!
    Always great to have some on the water intel!!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Russ Scholl
    Upvote 0

carloscafe

Almost A Member
    Jan 9, 2012
    Ventura as of 3/2021
    Name
    Darrin
    Boat
    N/A
    Nice post and great picts. Wanna know.... which one of your family won the competition?....lol. Can't put 3 brothers on The same boat and trip without a little healthy competition...right. Glad you got some. Shared some valuable tips.... nice post. Congrats.
    Of course I was the winner. I could not let them beat me in my game. In the picture with all 3 of us, I hooked the fish and handed it off so they could fight it.

Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    2. Listen to the crew. We had Captian Blake at the helm and if you know him, you know he is a die hard fisherman. If you listened to the crew you caught fish.

This advice should be pinned to the top of the forum~

Congrates on the awesome sounding trip! Fishing with Blake is great! The detailed report and pictures are much appreciated! You guys look super happy!

Im on the 7 day trip on August 14th on the Star, which feels like an eternity away...

Do you have any info on what knife jigs were working at night? Jig size; high/low speed?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    So, this is the 2nd year my brother's have joined me on a mini-long range trip. With the fishing in local waters being so close, I was contemplating putting this in the So. Cal section, but I opted for the long range section.

My 2 brothers joined me and they had a blast. Being able to spend time with family in your passion is priceless.

Anticipation was at an all time high, with all the reports of big bluefin in the local waters. This was an Island tackle trip. If you are in the South Bay area, go see Kevin and he will take care of any and everything you need to be prepared for these big fish.
    Here are a few notes:
    1. Get rest when you can. With the fish being so close and those silly bluefin wanting to bite when we should be sleep, we were up late every night.

What worked....
    2. Mark your line. You need to know how deep the fish are for sinker rig and fishing the flatfall..
    3. Fly line bait worked on the smaller grade fish. No kite fishing on this trip.
    4. Knife jig and flatfalls for night fishing. I don't think it mattered if it glowed in the dark.

The 1st night we had 18 fish all over 100 lbs. I think for the total trip, we had 39 over 100. Biggest was 196.
    We had a lot of the 40-80 lb. fish. The Royal Star as always did not disappoint in the service department.

View attachment 1299124View attachment 1299125
    View attachment 1299126View attachment 1299128
    Blake is a killer! Love fishing with him!!!

Reactions: bouttime
    Upvote 0

carloscafe

Almost A Member
    Jan 9, 2012
    Ventura as of 3/2021
    Name
    Darrin
    Boat
    N/A
    This advice should be pinned to the top of the forum~

Congrates on the awesome sounding trip! Fishing with Blake is great! The detailed report and pictures are much appreciated! You guys look super happy!

Im on the 7 day trip on August 14th on the Star, which feels like an eternity away...

Do you have any info on what knife jigs were working at night? Jig size; high/low speed?
    Not sure of the name of the knife jigs. They were getting bit on the drop and retrieve.
    I know the feeling of waiting on the trip. September 4th can't come fast enough.

Upvote 0

Peteb

newbie my ass
    Nov 30, 2010
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    None

Here are a few notes:

What worked....

View attachment 1299124View attachment 1299125
    View attachment 1299126View attachment 1299128
    Digging the smiles.....
    and the fish

Upvote 0