A Different Sort of Jig Storage Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Brad I, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Brad I

Brad I Common Sense Isn't Common Enough

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    I’ve got a lot of jigs; not as many as others here, but still a lot. But even with years to think about it and try different ideas, I haven’t hit upon a good way to organize them for storage so that I can easily find the jig(s) I’m looking for and to re-stock the tackle box.

I’ve got jigs organized by light or heavy, by size, by type (like 6xjr or megabait types), by manufacturer (Tady), by target fish (wahoo), sometimes further sub-divided (heavy and real heavy, JRI light and JRI heavy, chrome based jigs and fully painted jigs) . It’s a real mish-mash, and only sort of works (is that jig in the sort of heavy box? The wahoo box? The Tady box? The chrome box?).

So you experts: what organization system works best for you? I’m looking for the ability to store a jig so that its easy to both put away and to find when needed. Yes, I already label my storage boxes and know that if I sell 3/4 of my jigs I’ll probably still have enough to outfit me until my dying day.

TIA

2. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Great question, I'm in the same boat. Don't like keeping them in trays and all the jig storage systems that let them hang by the hooks let them hit the sides and screw up the paint after awhile.

3. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    I'm in the same boat. Over the years I've learned to cut way back on what I bring in the way iron on both LR & shorter trips. Wahoo jigs well sometimes you just can't have enough but I dedicate one of the four trays just for wahoo and have never "ran out". I figure heavy & light yoyo jigs 3 ea , surface iron big & small 3ea , in my favorite colors ( the fish don't care ) flat falls & other bling in one of my four trays. Keeping in mind I'm referring to my long range tackle box for shorter trips I adjust to a smaller 3 tray box with one tray dedicated to iron. This works for me I can't see bringing 30 pounds of jigs on any trip LR or short when maybe I would use 5 or 6 during the entire trip excluding wahoo of course.

4. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    I now use the spare room after the last freeloader left.

5. Adrien Baker

Adrien Baker Born to get down.

Name:
    Adrien Baker
    Boat:
    Ultra
    I'm no expert and all of my junk is currently in boxes or jig bags but I plan on having a slat wall or pegboard at some point to get the jigs organized. I can't really think of a solution that I would want other than that.

Adrien

6. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    I have more in my tackle box but these hang in the garage. I had a piece of all thread but I recommend something stronger if you are going to hang more (this one has a bend it and there's not a lot of them hanging.

Doubles as garage art too

jigstorage.jpg

jiggy smalls likes this.
  7. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    Brad, I really don't think there is a perfect way to organize one's jigs. As you state in your post, there are just too many variables to be considered.

I am very fortunate in that my garage actually has a mezzanine level covering the rear third. Think of it as the bay for a single car. What I did is take some heavier wire mesh and using a pneumatic stapler attached it to the exposed studs. Amazing how many jigs that I can hang; well over three hundred with plenty of space for more. One benefit is that I get great air circulation. Another is that they are all readily visible. But just how to arrange them? I think that is a decision we as individuals have to make for ourselves.

Ultimately I have decided to put mine in Plano trays organized by manufacturers and model. Tady 45, Sea Strike 33, Salas 5X, Salas 6x and so on. So I have about 40 Plano 3700 tackle trays filled with jigs......and still growing.

Purchased 10 more jigs this morning..........it is a disease......but way better than catching the flu!

JWFogg likes this.
  8. Brad I

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Thanks for the responses so far. I figured that I can't be the only one with the question.

To be clear, the focus of my question wasn't how or how many to take on a trip, or even good methods of storing them at home. more like how do you organize them for storage at home so that they are both easy to store and easy to know where they are to retrieve them for your next trip. Thanks

9. fishdoggary

fishdoggary I do what I want Bitch!

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Load them in 5 gallon buckets Brad... Easier to get rid of that way.

sierraazuel and SouthBayKiller like this.
  10. Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler Serial Lurker

Name:
    Kai Schumann
    Boat:
    Hobie PA14, Pro-Fisha 525, Solo Skiff
    Since it's in your garage/house and not on the boat - ask yourself how the tackle shops do it and there is your answer. They have to display in the most efficient method possible for floor space, yet keep the jigs in pristine condition or they won't sell...

11. pescadito

pescadito Member

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    n/a
    i had the same problem after buckets took up too much floor space.
    I use pegboard that the wife bought for me specifically for this purpose.
    I put all the candybars together, all the tady 45's together, then separated the 45's by color or by species. All the mint and green vraieties went on two hooks, all the gold or brown calico colors on another hook, all the baitfish/birdshit type on another. wounded soldier gets its own hook. Below those are the tady AA on its own hook, A1 on its own hook and light 9 on theor own hook as I don't have many of those, but slowly growing the collection of those. all the fixed hook jigs stay in he same general area as the treble, but on their own dedicated hook.
    JRI got its own set of 2 hooks since there's only like 3 colors I own in JRI in 3 sizes....
    The candybars are sorted very much the same way where the 112's get their own section of hooks and the mint on one, birdshit/general baitfish patterns on another hook, and then brown calico colors on another hook, and a misc hook. below those are the 150 and 200 size, since there aren't as many of those.

All the heavy jigs went on their own hooks and those were separated by maker and size as well. Just find a system that works for you. you're the one that is going to have to dig through it to find that one jig from that one trip back in the day.
    My motivation for pegboard came from the tackle shops and their organization of the jigs and trying to save floor space.

hope this helps...

12. freegaff2

freegaff2 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Craig Simcox
    Boat:
    none
    only for wahoo country, but I keep 10-12 bombs, raiders, Hopkins and the infamous Columbia black chrome jigs hanging from the lip of the box so I don't have to go searching when switching from plan A to plan B...single hooks, so no danger to anyone walking by and I already have a pretty good idea of what I am going to use, and in what order. I've also learned over the years, if what is hanging on the box won't get me bit...it's time to switch to bait :D

13. sierraazuel

sierraazuel Saving World From Skynet

Name:
    Drew P. Balls
    Boat:
    Thunder Bolt Grease Slapper

What he said!

14. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    This is how mine are stored between trips. I try to keep the jigs separated by yo yo, surface irons, wahoo, tuna, etc....

9336DF04-C7E0-46ED-8B50-749B19D7673A.jpeg EDB56F87-0012-47C5-9212-C045953BEE44.jpeg

tamddo714, ripped, repo805 and 2 others like this.
  15. T.O.T.W.

T.O.T.W. Time On The Water

Name:
    Chris L
    Boat:
    Leo's
    The easiest way for me to pick through my far-too-many options is to mark my good swimmers with a Sharpie. Storage-wise, I keep surface irons by make/model in Plano boxes...yo-yo tend to end up stored by size. Of course, I’ve got plenty of wall hangers and 5-gallon buckets, too!

16. Brad I

Name:
    Brad I
    Boat:
    Nope
    Thanks guys; its clear that I'm not the only one trying to make sense of this. It seems like most of us separate jigs by light/heavy/trolling, and many have dedicated wahoo locations, but beyond that its sort of a catch as catch can.

I like the idea of hanging them because you can see at a glance what you've got and removing and replacing them is easier than moving around and opening lots of plano boxes (and as Chris noted, there's air circulation too).

Now all I need is to figure out how to add another wall to my garage. :jig:

17. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    This is how I had mine set up but decided my addiction was safer if I kept it in boxes. LOL