Offshore A day late? Now $1.70 short . . .

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat Name
arima - the SLIDER
$170.00 spent on Gas and Bait - Solo.

Did the deed before the storm hits SoCal. Left DP at 5:45 am with a half scoop of mediocre Dines. Not that they died, they just had no umph. Saw lots of life on the meter in various areas, even inside the 279.

Second stop was a small paddy just outside the 279 with one and a half boats on it. One with two guys, about 24 foot Cuddy, the other was a row boat with a motor, packed with 4 or 5 guys. The row boat caught a couple small Dorado. It appeared that they were the owners of that paddy because they would drift off it 20 feet and then reverse up to it until they touched the paddy again. No bites for me after about 30 minute effort.

I moved outside about another 10-12 miles in between the 209 and 277. Found a small paddy with a few on it and was joined by others who played nice. I saw about three fish caught in an hour between about 7 boats. Fish were there just not biting. Seemed to be the consensus overall on 72. The guys who were lucky enough to spot something early caught a couple.

I drove all over and tried to find my own. One guy on the radio said he was on a wide-open bite, eating anything, even dead crap. 15 over 49 hurry and get them. I put in in my GPS and see it’s only 8 miles away. Yahoo!

I get there in about 20 minutes. A pack of boats with NO bent poles. There were marks on the meter all spread out, No physical sign of Dorado. The boat identified himself as a 24 ft Bayliner, like he was the only one there. Maybe a poor joke?

With the forecast showing some West wind getting sucked into the pending Tornado, I decided to call it at noon. I hope the die-hards get in safe. Just looks a little unstable out there to be 25 mile offshore.

Here is the best part of my day.
P1020701.JPG

And I don't have to clean fish.

Good luck to the guys venturing out on Friday and Saturday
:rofl:

“psuh”

Last edited:

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several
    Glad ya got out on the Lake and gave it a go John. Damn fish jugged full again sounds like.
    You bet Tropical Storm KAY is coming....see below Link! Button down the Hatches.

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat Name
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Glad you got out and in safely. I’m hoping to go Monday and Wednesday. Right after a full moon 😫.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    At least you got out. Did you try trolling? I’ve found having a line in the water at all times really ups your odds and helps find open water schools. Plus just cruising and looking around for fish and structure is much more enjoyable than chasing boats and radio reports

I’ve seen guys do that when their patty gets overrun. It’s upsetting when you find a nice spot of water to fish and boats start rolling up out of nowhere. They’ll call it in as a hot bite to shit on the other guys.

It’s also kinda funny when I stop to pee, Get situated and a boat comes flying in just In time to catch the last stream. Frustrating that I know what they’re doing but funny at the same time. Wait till i have to take a crap over the side.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    I never trust radio reports of wide open fish unless its from someone I know well. We were out there yesterday too. Went from Long Beach straight to the 277 then to the 289. Hardly any life out there in the early morning around 8AM. We decided to head back to the 152 and found a small floatilla of boats around a kelp patty. It was scratch bites for the next few hours. Fish jumping everywhere but wouldn't take our baits. We finally boated one fish after dropping down to 16lb fluoro line and a #2 wire hook.

The fish on the kelp that has been stepped on multiple times are very touchy. When the wind picked up around 1PM, the bite almost completely died. I'm sure people have different experiences, but its tough fishing kelp when the dorado has lock jaw. Do you move on? Do you stay? Its a tough call no matter what.

We saw the City of Long Beach go up to the kelp and brailed a lot of bait but no biters and they left. The Monte Carlo came by the same kelp and never stopped. They headed to the 277 area, but it was tough finding kelp there. We heard a buddy went to the 289 and caught Dorado and hooked up a BFT, but they got there at a later time. It must have been slack tide when we got there and not much life.

We spent a day in the water and if we catch fish, that is just a bonus.

C'est la vie.

Upvote 0

luckyfisher7

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2007
    Dudeport Beach
    Name
    Chris
    Boat Name
    18 whaler "Nishimaru"
    I never trust radio reports of wide open fish unless its from someone I know well. We were out there yesterday too. Went from Long Beach straight to the 277 then to the 289. Hardly any life out there in the early morning around 8AM. We decided to head back to the 152 and found a small floatilla of boats around a kelp patty. It was scratch bites for the next few hours. Fish jumping everywhere but wouldn't take our baits. We finally boated one fish after dropping down to 16lb fluoro line and a #2 wire hook.

The fish on the kelp that has been stepped on multiple times are very touchy. When the wind picked up around 1PM, the bite almost completely died. I'm sure people have different experiences, but its tough fishing kelp when the dorado has lock jaw. Do you move on? Do you stay? Its a tough call no matter what.

We saw the City of Long Beach go up to the kelp and brailed a lot of bait but no biters and they left. The Monte Carlo came by the same kelp and never stopped. They headed to the 277 area, but it was tough finding kelp there. We heard a buddy went to the 289 and caught Dorado and hooked up a BFT, but they got there at a later time. It must have been slack tide when we got there and not much life.

We spent a day in the water and if we catch fish, that is just a bonus.

C'est la vie.
    Don’t spend too much time on a kelp if it’s not biting. One drift and move on. It’s all about efficiency. You never see the high liner boats pounding a kelp for hours if they aren’t catching.

Reactions: the SLIDER
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    well, there goes my theory that they always bite just before a storm....:(
    I have seen a few fish get all fired up before a storm. Just as many times that they didn't. Inshore for Bass and Rockfish I would say is true. Barometric pressure?

At least you got out. Did you try trolling? I’ve found having a line in the water at all times really ups your odds and helps find open water schools. Plus just cruising and looking around for fish and structure is much more enjoyable than chasing boats and radio reports

I’ve seen guys do that when their patty gets overrun. It’s upsetting when you find a nice spot of water to fish and boats start rolling up out of nowhere. They’ll call it in as a hot bite to shit on the other guys.

It’s also kinda funny when I stop to pee, Get situated and a boat comes flying in just In time to catch the last stream. Frustrating that I know what they’re doing but funny at the same time. Wait till i have to take a crap over the side.

I only slow trolled the live Dines. Around the outside, around the outside. I was running like a homo.

Yes, I was decieved. Left the area that was looking good for a quick blaze to a boat lot with no benders. Lesson learned.

Hey, I flyed up to you the day saw you. lol. Luckily your wanker was secured.

Very nice report.
    Respectfully may I ask...4 or five guys in a rowboat with a motor and you didn't take a picture? Perhaps you missed a very special photo op.

Because I fish solo, no pictures of the event. I see no benefit in calling out guys other than telling the tale for amusement. I addition I had a 16' aluminum skiff that I took out to the 279 many times. I didn't bring 5 people on it a day before a Hurricane, Nor did back up to the paddy every 5-10 minutes with other boats on it.

When I was younger - you definatly would have seen picture of these knucklheads in this thread.

Note: Many Dorado did "walk the dog" about 10-15 feet and drop it. With Dorado and larger bait they need to run for a few seconds, sometimes twice before you lock it in gear.

Last edited:
    Reactions: COSDoug
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Don’t spend too much time on a kelp if it’s not biting. One drift and move on. It’s all about efficiency. You never see the high liner boats pounding a kelp for hours if they aren’t catching.

You have to understand we had several boats in the group spread out hunting kelp from the 152 all the way to 277 and then to the 289 in a triangle. In that entire time, there was not a single kelp larger than about a foot found. The kelp we finally fished on was the only kelp that had fish on it. Its not like we saw a lot of kelp in any of the path we took. Once in a while, we might see a little stringer no bigger than 12 inches or so on the water, but there was obviously no fish on them. We saw a couple of of moa moas on some of these tiny kelp stringers but no other life at all and moved on. Hardly any bird activity other than a few birds sitting on the water which we went by just to check for fish marks.

There wouldn't be any high liner boats out there because it was so early in the morning. The larger boats are much slower and won't even get to the area for hours. We only saw two overnight or multiday cattle boats from San Diego at the 289 trolling around when we got there. None of the local cattle boats would even get there for a few hours later if they even plan to go to the location. There wasn't much life in the early morning at all. The only thing we marked were tons bait fish on the 289 area in some areas.

On the only kelp we found with fish, the thing was that we weren't catching, but other small boats were catching here and there and the fish were jumping all over. It was a real scratch bite, but it wasn't like the fish were completely shut down. Hard to move on from fish to look for fish when you already traveled over 50 miles in a group and found nada. Some days are just like that. It wasn't just us. Lots of other boats were obviously in the same situation. Could we have turned south instead of back to the 152 and found a nice paddy? Probably, but we already burned a lot fuel to get out there in a 22 footer. If there was any decent sized kelp in that entire area where we covered for miles with multiple boats, we would have seen it. There was a couple of large double decker boats in the floatilla for a while too, so it wasn't like they didn't stop to see if they had a chance.

One drift and move on. Move on to what? We even trolled the 289 for about an hour for nothing. It could have been slack tide because another boat caught some later on in the day in the same area.

Hopefully, the hurricane pushed more kelp up north. However, it may make fishing even harder if there are a lot more kelp that has no life on it. That is when you have a better chance of finding kelp that you can drift one time and move on.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

meangreen75

Sign Cutter
    Sep 15, 2007
    Murrieta
    Name
    DJ
    Boat Name
    USS PORT ROYAL CG73
    I have seen a few fish get all fired up before a storm. Just as many times that they didn't. Inshore for Bass and Rockfish I would say is true. Barometric pressure?

I only slow trolled the live Dines. Around the outside, around the outside. I was running like a homo.

Yes, I was decieved. Left the area that was looking good for a quick blaze to a boat lot with no benders. Lesson learned.

Hey, I flyed up to you the day saw you. lol. Luckily your wanker was secured.

Becuse I fish solo, no pictures of the event. I see no benefit in calling out guys other than telling the tale for amusement. I addition I had a 16' aluminum skiff that I took out to the 279 many times. I didn't bring 5 people on it a day before a Hurricane, Nor did back up to the paddy every 5-10 minutes with other boats on it.

When I was younger - you definatly would have seen picture of these knucklheads in this thread.

Note: Many Dorado did "walk the dog" about 10-15 feet and drop it. With Dorado and larger bait they need to run for a few soconds, sometimes twice before you lock it in gear.

I'm pretty sure we were working that same kelp with you. It was good to see everyone playing nicely. We didn't get picked up and we spent an hour there. We said the same thing about those guys in that tiny aluminum boat. INSANE to be that far out in that thing with the weather coming in. Hope they made it back in before midnight.

It was a great day on the water minus the lockjaw fish.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Reminds me of the time I was fishing Crystal Cove for halibut and heard on the radio it was WFO yellowfin at the 277. 30 miles later, no fish, no one else there, no pride intact. Did spend the night at Catalina and had a halibut on board as a consolation prize. I will never chase radio fish again.

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Reactions: mhanson59hb
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    If people chased radio fish, they would still be looking for the San Bernardino Island and that infamous 69 mile bank.

ReelHappyJim

Mar 2, 2020
    Anaheim
    Name
    Jim Payne
    Boat Name
    🐠⬇️
    Just for information. I killed them on straight 12 pound. The Sardines are lethargic because the water was 80 degrees. I slow trolled them near the Paddies just to keep them swimming. The ones that hit were given a 5 count and I stuck every one. All completely swallowed the bait. Also nailed a big Pelagic Ray. Tough sucker.
    Go light, finesse them in. Just take your time.

Upvote 0