A classic colored set (with a surprise ending)

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
This is a five rod set for a new boat on the East Cape called "Un Dia" (some day). The set contains four stand-up trolling rods on Calstar 7460L blanks and a marlin bait caster on a 7465L blank. The client ordered the rods in classic black/gold/silver, but he saw the Mexican Flag wrap I'd done on my TEREZ rods and decided to have me do the bait rod in a similar style. So, I got the pleasant surprise here, as black/gold/silver is my least favorite colors to build with (it's done too much).

Seats and gimbals on the trollers are AFTCO and the guides are Fuji Hardloy. The bait caster uses Pac Bay seat and gimbal and ALPS guides.

Un Dia Set 1.jpg
Un Dia set 3.jpg
Un Dia set 9.jpg
Un Dia set 6.jpg
Un Dia set 7.jpg
Un Dia set 8.jpg
Un Dia set 10.jpg
Un Dia set 19.jpg
Un Dia set 20.jpg
Un Dia set 21.jpg
Un Dia set 22.jpg

JTrelikes

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 3, 2006
Lakeside, CA
Name
Jim Trelikes
Boat
Bubba Jean 28
Cool stuff right there Bill! Did you break out some elf shoes to wear while working on that last one? LOL

Reactions: tanner.s

DocSki

Captain
Mar 24, 2007
So. El Monte
Name
James(Doc Ski)Labanowski
Boat
17' Carolina Skiff
Mucho Bonito. Nice Work Bill

royflatmate

Oct 11, 2012
N.S.W Australia/Pilbarra WA
Name
Ray Balmforth
Boat
Hobie PA 14 , CrossXcountry 4.1
Beautiful work Bill.Black/gold and silver mightn't be your favourite combination but you have done them justice.

cheers....Ray

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
Nicely done bill. You build some really attractive rods.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
Thanks guys. Yeah, I guess the bait rod does look a bit Christmasy.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
perfection.....look's like one rod four times, except for the cool candy kane :)

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Shopping for something else
I built a few 850s and at first thought the Hardloys would be a bit too heavy but found out at the rail last fall that they really are a perfect match - both weight and durability.
The wrap is boring, but my colors have followed this since I started wrapping in high school (yikes! 35 years ago)

Reactions: widgeon

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
I actually like these old style guides better than the new design (they're lighter) and I've never had a ring failure or any other problem with the Hardloy rings. I often tell customers that there's no reason to buy a $30 guide when a $10 guide will work just as well.

I don't see anything boring about your builds Scott.

Reactions: flamekeeper

Posted Up

A "reel" Bill Collector
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado and So Cal
Name
Ryan Boettcher
Boat
44' Post Sportfish
Bill, your pics of my new rods was the final straw to me joining BD. Thanks in advance for the rods and the quality builds. And.......for all of you who don't like Christmas, just know that although my new bait caster looks like a candy cane its not about Christmas. Its about the East Cape of Mexico's fishery. Bill and I will keep that secret to ourselves. :D

Hopefully the marlin will see anything cast from it as a treat! Thanks again Bill. I'll see you in a month when I pick em' up.

Reactions: bparker1225

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
Hi Ryan. Glad you joined BD. Lots of good info on these boards.

All you'll need to do is just show the fish the rod and they jump right in the boat.

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
I actually like these old style guides better than the new design (they're lighter) and I've never had a ring failure or any other problem with the Hardloy rings. I often tell customers that there's no reason to buy a $30 guide when a $10 guide will work just as well.

I don't see anything boring about your builds Scott.
I guess after a while my stuff gets old-looking - to me. Kinda like us[emoji46]. I was a little surprised at $11 for the first guide ... But they are certainly worth it. I would have preferred lighter hardware, as 11 of these add up fast. Any advice an a lighter but still boat-proof set?

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
Well, my TEREZ rods use Fuji Alcolites (K-Series Tangle Free) and the blank is rated 50-150 pound braid. They're holding up well for me, but I'm only using 50#. I don't think they'd be my choice for 100# though. Also the ALPS are nice guides and similar to the Fuji's.

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Does Squidco carry the Ks? I'm probably going to build a couple of GF800s or perhaps 700s

captainsdc

Apr 19, 2011
San Jose del Cabo
Name
Scott
Boat
Oh, duh. I forgot not everyone lives in SD [emoji16]

Posted Up

A "reel" Bill Collector
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado and So Cal
Name
Ryan Boettcher
Boat
44' Post Sportfish
Bill,

I'll be there on May 1st to pick up the rods! It will be a short trip, as we head back to Colorado on May 4th, but plan on doing some inshore fishing while we're there. If the offshore bite picks up we may target marlin when we're there too. I can't wait to see the rods in person. Thanks again and I'll see you soon.

Ryan

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
Black and gold .....black and gold....sounds pretty good to me. I've always liked black and gold and yours don't look anything like all those other black and golds. That's classy Bill. And you have the flag down pat. Sweet.