A Buddy of mine lost a beast but, got a cow...

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
Feb 18, 2007
O'side
Name
Simon
Boat
Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
Nice work mike!! :hali_olutta:

Copied off the Intrepid website.........

Thur. December 15, 2011: Good evening Anglers. Today started out like many of the day's before, good sign of fish early on and some of them on the larger side. Another 22 of these quality Yellow fin would join us throughout the day, several pushing the magical 200 pound mark and all of them over a hundred. Of course with big fish comes (at times) big heart breaks and one will stand out in our minds for a long time. Angler Mike Pihl hooked in to a fish early this morning and was locked in an epic battle Man VS Fish. The fish quickly took the upper hand dumping Mikes International in a matter of seconds getting down dangerously close to the spool several times before making a final run requiring the back up rod. Back up goes out and the fish continues on pulling, at times there are close to 700 yards of line out between the 2 reels and the fish continues to battle. We were able to get mikes rod and reel within feet of the Intrepid several times, the $1,000 rod and reel combo being at our finger tips and the fish still pulling. The fish made one more go at it dumping another hundred yards of line off the back up reel and then.... Gone. The fish found freedom. With so much line out and other vessels fishing in the area our best guess is that it finally chafed against another line or running gear. With almost half a mile of line out there is not much that can be done about it, the spectra had parted and the fish swam free. It's a part of Long Range Fishing and Mike had a great attitude saying "that fished earned every bit of it's freedom". It truly was a giant. A Tecate and a short break is all that it took, Mike walked to the rail and proceeded to kick the snot out of a 200 pounder. All in all we finished our trip with 181 Yellow fin a couple of Dorado and a handful of Wahoo. North we go. Our Anglers will have a few day's of story telling followed with our famous buffet and of course our Fillet Mignon and Lobster dinner. Life is good. "The Intrepid Team"

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Wow !!! That's really exciting.....that's what makes this cow fishing so cool... sometimes these fish just refuse to be caught, and you gotta respect a animal like that.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
It's only money !
"The fish made one more go at it dumping another hundred yards of line off the back up reel and then.... Gone. The fish found freedom. With so much line out and other vessels fishing in the area our best guess is that it finally chafed against another line or running gear. With almost half a mile of line out there is not much that can be done about it, the spectra had parted and the fish swam free."

I get that the line that "parted" was the spectra on the angler's original outfit, not the line on the backup rig. It will be interesting to hear the story.

JGROSS

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Baby = sold boat
Good for him and his great attitude. As said, you have to respect both parties involved in that epic battle.

Next time!!

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
"that fished earned every bit of it's freedom".

Reminds me of a biggun I lost. When we were out at the rocks for a few days we happened to hook 3 fish that were unexpectidly large. Didn't land any of them. Most were 70-100 pounds. But, I think there were some about double that size hanging about. I happened to hook one and on my rig I just about got spooled, managed to get the fish under us but when it spit the hook. It would have been a lifetime fish for me but, for some odd reason, I had this thought that the fish earned his escape. I wasn't upset at all...wierd. A 12" trout spits the hook and git miffed, though. Something about respect with these tuna. Hard not to respect their power.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Isn't this why we chose to do this....because losing the fish is just a mistake or bad break away.....it is a test of wills and endurance... these rascals are mean and fight to the end....and it is cool that sometimes they win.....that's what makes it so interesting to me compared to almost any other type of fishing....

spinner

Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat and the fantacies of the next time.gooooooing

Abaco

Aug 5, 2009
Sacramento
Name
Dave
Boat
The Organ
Isn't this why we chose to do this....because losing the fish is just a mistake or bad break away.....it is a test of wills and endurance... these rascals are mean and fight to the end....and it is cool that sometimes they win.....that's what makes it so interesting to me compared to almost any other type of fishing....
Yep. The very first fish I hooked on a LR trip was a random bluefin that was swimming with albies we stopped for. I had the fish hooked in the rib and it literally fought me until it died. It kicked my ass, bigtime. I knew, halfway into that battle, that these were special animals.

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
Having been onboard to witness thgis entire event, I have to say, Mike is nothing short of an " awesome, Gebtleman " of a Fisherman. He was into the fish of a lifetime and NEVERA debated over whether to throw his rig in the drink witgh the back up attached,.

It was an epic battle to say the least, but, not all fish come onboard.
Mike proved his mettle by then pinning on a fresh bait and then hooking and landing the pictured photo that was a serious, bruiser of a fighter.

Mike is an awesome Man, and someone that I now am very pleased to call a freind and I am happy that I wass there to share in his experience.:hali_olutta:

whitefish

May 5, 2004
Bonita
Name
Shawn
Boat
17" Invader CC "Keepin' it Reel"
wow....I just saw this.....I was out on the indy during the same trip right along side the intrepid.....we hooked two BIG fish on or about the same day both on the boat kite rods....the first one practically spooled the kite reel and parted spectra 800+ yard out.....second one same deal but my boy Mark Backes won that battle.....355.2#......what a deal to be a part of....eat your wheaties....you never know when that next bait will be a gaint.

Yolo

Outcasts
May 30, 2006
San Diego
www.sandiegofishingclub.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Relentless
Quick Question...I get that the fish was lost, but did they lose the original rod/reel that was attached to the backup?

Really, I tried to read this a few time before posting...

thx

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
No, Mike didn't lose his rod/reel. Here it is going for a swim.

Last edited:

hydro

Nov 10, 2010
In the mountains
Name
Dan
Boat
I wish
Having been onboard to witness thgis entire event, I have to say, Mike is nothing short of an " awesome, Gebtleman " of a Fisherman. He was into the fish of a lifetime and NEVERA debated over whether to throw his rig in the drink witgh the back up attached,.

It was an epic battle to say the least, but, not all fish come onboard.
Mike proved his mettle by then pinning on a fresh bait and then hooking and landing the pictured photo that was a serious, bruiser of a fighter.

Mike is an awesome Man, and someone that I now am very pleased to call a freind and I am happy that I wass there to share in his experience.:hali_olutta:
Sounds like an awesome trip with some great stories - anyone going to post a report and share them with us?

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
No his rod and reel was fine and returned to the vessel.

I will post a story next week. I am sitting inside wearing sunglasses as my everyday glasses lost a lens. I am unable to read without them.

My sunnies are script yet very hard to see the keys.