23' Sea Hunt Ultra
Here is a Boston Whaler we just installed in Louisiana
20170908_102603.jpg
20170908_102525.jpg
20170908_125750.jpg
20170908_125937.jpg
20170908_125815.jpg
20170727_104032.jpg
. A nice clean Storm Gray over Black kit.

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Beautiful work guys! It looks very custom, robust and nice.
    I'm sure you must remove wax to make the adhesive stick but how does the wax application work after the pads are in place? Or do you just not wax the boat decks anymore? What is the expected life span for the Sea Dek? Just curious.

Upvote 0

Blue Seas Fab

Oct 21, 2003
    Un-charted desert isle
    www.blueseasfabrication.com
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra
    Beautiful work guys! It looks very custom, robust and nice.
    I'm sure you must remove wax to make the adhesive stick but how does the wax application work after the pads are in place? Or do you just not wax the boat decks anymore? What is the expected life span for the Sea Dek? Just curious.
    Yes, part of the pre-install procedure is to have the customer wash the boat a day or so before we do the install. Then we wipe all install areas with ammonia, then alcohol, and a final wipe down with acetone. Then the SeaDek sticks quite well. As for waxing, SeaDek is a closed cell EVA foam, a soft deck. There is no purpose in waxing it, just clean it with water boat soap and a a scrub brush.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

Blue Seas Fab

Oct 21, 2003
    Un-charted desert isle
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra
    okay ball park what does a job like that go for... really nice...
    That was a maximum effort job on that boat, It was a $4500 job installed. It all comes down to how many sheets a job takes. There ares many to get the comfort of SeaDek on your boat within most budgets. We can go as minimal as a helm pad all the way to doing all the flat surfaces on the boat. If you would like we welcome you to stop by the shop and we can go over the scope of work you are considering and measure your boat to see what we can accomplish for you.

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    That was a maximum effort job on that boat, It was a $4500 job installed. It all comes down to how many sheets a job takes. There ares many to get the comfort of SeaDek on your boat within most budgets. We can go as minimal as a helm pad all the way to doing all the flat surfaces on the boat. If you would like we welcome you to stop by the shop and we can go over the scope of work you are considering and measure your boat to see what we can accomplish for you.
    Thank You for your response... I will think about this...

Reactions: Blue Seas Fab
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    So, what happens when it wears out? How do you get it off? Can you go back to original deck or is it covered in 3m sticky? Expected life?

It comes in sheets, so you use individual strips for the boarder? Is the boarder more prone to coming off? Pretty cool looking for sure, just curious about longevity and removal/replacement later.. thanks!

Reactions: ?? fisherman
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    So, what happens when it wears out? How do you get it off? Can you go back to original deck or is it covered in 3m sticky? Expected life?

This is exactly what I am very curious about as well. The stuff looks great I'll give you that, but there are also alot of guys who prefer the original decking.

So my question is......... lets say a person is looking to buy a used boat, and the boat they find has this installed...... maybe it's wearing out, or just isn't what the potential buyer might want. If so how hard (or is it even possible) is it to remove this stuff and bring a deck back to it's pre application condition..........seems like it might be a very labor intensive ordeal??

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Blue Seas Fab

Oct 21, 2003
    Un-charted desert isle
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra
    The unknown fisherman:p:[/QUOTE]

It comes in sheets, so you use individual strips for the boarder? Is the boarder more prone to coming off? Pretty cool looking for sure, just curious about longevity and removal/replacement later.. thanks!

This is exactly what I am very curious about as well. The stuff looks great I'll give you that, but there are also alot of guys who prefer the original decking.

So my question is......... lets say a person is looking to buy a used boat, and the boat they find has this installed...... maybe it's wearing out, or just isn't what the potential buyer might want. If so how hard (or is it even possible) is it to remove this stuff and bring a deck back to it's pre application condition..........seems like it might be a very labor intensive ordeal??

SeaDek comes to us in sheet form, we scan and draw each boat to get a custom and precise fit. As far as removal, it requires some effort but is in no way like removing teak or other deck surfaces that get installed with 5200. In general SeaDek uncovered in the direct sun year round there is a 5-7 year life. Now this does not mean it hits that time and just fails. At this time frame in direct sun conditions and use it is going to be faded and probably going to show signs of being used. Covered it will look much better for much longer. SeaDek is a soft deck material so things like slamming gimbals on the deck will cut into it. Having that said, Seadek can take a pretty hard beating and still be comfortable, non skid, anti fatigue and look good. If we produce the kit for you and a part gets damaged and you want it replaced, you can order that part from us. We can pull up your kit select that part and cut it. Then the damaged part is removed and the new part is installed and you are complete again. There are 25 colors to choose from that you can have laminated in different stacks such as, mocha over black for the teak look, Storm gray over black fo platnium teak, Olive green over camo for a duck boat this possibilities go on and on.

Reactions: gecsr1
    Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious

Curious, have you been on a boat with Sea Dek installed? I put it on my 14 ft skiff instead of carpet or non-skid, and although it was a bit pricey, I couldn't fathom going with anything else. Easy to clean, doesn't get hot, and I keep my boat covered so the stuff looks as good as it did when I installed it.

If I were buying a used boat that had SeaDek installed I would look at it as a huge bonus.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Curious, have you been on a boat with Sea Dek installed? I put it on my 14 ft skiff instead of carpet or non-skid, and although it was a bit pricey, I couldn't fathom going with anything else. Easy to clean, doesn't get hot, and I keep my boat covered so the stuff looks as good as it did when I installed it.

If I were buying a used boat that had SeaDek installed I would look at it as a huge bonus.

To answer your question, no I haven't stepped foot on one, although I have seen a few. I'm not necessarily knocking the product, as it does look good..... but then again opinions vary, and I have talked to some who are into it, and others who aren't.

It's kinda like rhino lining was to truck beds..... some guys love the stuff, and others feel it can hide some ugly facts lying beneath.

Like I said, I don't mind it, but just trying to gain some better knowledge about it. I have bought a pretty decent share of used boats over the years, and a few things that I won't call deal killers, but will really make me take a step back and possibly hold out are boats built without a removable deck to gain access to the gas tank, bottom paint on a trailer sized boat, and also boats that have some kind of deck or paint covering......... but hey, that's just me. ;)

Didn't really get an answer on if a boat installed with it could have it removed and still get the deck looking like a pre installed deck. I'm thinking it might be a pretty tough go.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

sueno

Go Fishing!
    Jun 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Parker 2310
    I've been debating on getting this for my boat. I have been testing it out all summer and I have been impressed so far to get the blood out! Saving my pennies now!

IMG_1565.JPG

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    Advertising inside the forum now, sweet. Not surprised.
    why not they are a paid BD advertiser,, they also are giving good honest information about their product and even others... they appear to be a first class company...

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    To answer your question, no I haven't stepped foot on one, although I have seen a few. I'm not necessarily knocking the product, as it does look good..... but then again opinions vary, and I have talked to some who are into it, and others who aren't.

It's kinda like rhino lining was to truck beds..... some guys love the stuff, and others feel it can hide some ugly facts lying beneath.

Like I said, I don't mind it, but just trying to gain some better knowledge about it. I have bought a pretty decent share of used boats over the years, and a few things that I won't call deal killers, but will really make me take a step back and possibly hold out are boats built without a removable deck to gain access to the gas tank, bottom paint on a trailer sized boat, and also boats that have some kind of deck or paint covering......... but hey, that's just me. ;)

Didn't really get an answer on if a boat installed with it could have it removed and still get the deck looking like a pre installed deck. I'm thinking it might be a pretty tough go.

All good points, as I hadn't thought about the potential for cover ups. My thoughts would be that the material and install is not inexpensive, and any issue that one might wish to cover up with SeaDek would probably be a lot cheaper to just fix. Also, soft spots in the deck are not going to be hidden by SeaDek. Maybe to the naked eye, but if you step on it, you're still going to notice it.

As for removal, anything is possible with some elbow grease, a heat gun, and some acetone/gunk off. A common mistake many boaters make is not using heat to activate the removal. Most of the 3m adhesives used in marine applications are spec'd to withstand basic UV and liquids/solvents, but temps above 175F will release the glue and make removal pretty painless.

Reactions: bajabills
    Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    As a disclosure, I bought the sheets from Ken at the BD member price he listed above. I'm not being compensated for my support. I just really like this stuff. Given past experience with older Kawi 550 and 650 jet skis equipped with Hydro-Turf that wouldn't last one river season, let alone saltwater exposure, the decision is a no-brainer.

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"

SeaDek comes to us in sheet form, we scan and draw each boat to get a custom and precise fit. As far as removal, it requires some effort but is in no way like removing teak or other deck surfaces that get installed with 5200. In general SeaDek uncovered in the direct sun year round there is a 5-7 year life. Now this does not mean it hits that time and just fails. At this time frame in direct sun conditions and use it is going to be faded and probably going to show signs of being used. Covered it will look much better for much longer. SeaDek is a soft deck material so things like slamming gimbals on the deck will cut into it. Having that said, Seadek can take a pretty hard beating and still be comfortable, non skid, anti fatigue and look good. If we produce the kit for you and a part gets damaged and you want it replaced, you can order that part from us. We can pull up your kit select that part and cut it. Then the damaged part is removed and the new part is installed and you are complete again. There are 25 colors to choose from that you can have laminated in different stacks such as, mocha over black for the teak look, Storm gray over black fo platnium teak, Olive green over camo for a duck boat this possibilities go on and on.[/QUOTE]

im interested, i emailed them as requested twice now haven't heard back. maybe i got the email address wrong. please resend the email im supposed to send info to, thank's!!

Upvote 0

hbouldin1216

May 10, 2012
    Lodi, CA
    Name
    Henry Bouldin
    Boat
    14 Gregor - Tinacious
    im interested, i emailed them as requested twice now haven't heard back. maybe i got the email address wrong. please resend the email im supposed to send info to, thank's!!

Search "Blue Seas Fabrications" on here. If Ken hasn't already seen this, he will soon. His shop is right next to Dana Landing and can be reached at (858) 232-4188

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    thanks, they got ahold of me.

Upvote 0

Blue Seas Fab

Oct 21, 2003
    Un-charted desert isle
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    23' Sea Hunt Ultra
    SeaDek comes to us in sheet form, we scan and draw each boat to get a custom and precise fit. As far as removal, it requires some effort but is in no way like removing teak or other deck surfaces that get installed with 5200. In general SeaDek uncovered in the direct sun year round there is a 5-7 year life. Now this does not mean it hits that time and just fails. At this time frame in direct sun conditions and use it is going to be faded and probably going to show signs of being used. Covered it will look much better for much longer. SeaDek is a soft deck material so things like slamming gimbals on the deck will cut into it. Having that said, Seadek can take a pretty hard beating and still be comfortable, non skid, anti fatigue and look good. If we produce the kit for you and a part gets damaged and you want it replaced, you can order that part from us. We can pull up your kit select that part and cut it. Then the damaged part is removed and the new part is installed and you are complete again. There are 25 colors to choose from that you can have laminated in different stacks such as, mocha over black for the teak look, Storm gray over black fo platnium teak, Olive green over camo for a duck boat this possibilities go on and on.

im interested, i emailed them as requested twice now haven't heard back. maybe i got the email address wrong. please resend the email im supposed to send info to, thank's!![/QUOTE]
    Answered

Upvote 0