Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Why do some of you think that just because something is technically legal and common that it's necessarily right to do. Nothing about this story indicates this guy is a standup character. Everything about this story indicates this guy and his PH's are scum who, even if are somehow found to be within the bounds of the law, still did everything in their power to skirt it and hide what they did.

You can also bet that if it is legal this year, it won't be next year.

Fishing and hunting do not need these types of people.
Another one putting words in people's mouths. Just because some of us aren't saying hang the guy from the highest tree doesn't mean we don't condone what happened. If it's legal it's legal.

Work to change the laws to import lion hides and mounts if it's so important to you.

Reactions: clintonstick
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
The thing i dont get about "big game" hunting is why ? is it an ego boost to kill an awesome looking animal just to kill it ? Im guessing a lion isnt good table fare.Lion,Rhino,Elephant,Big horn sheep are all beautiful animals that i would rather just watch do their thing rather than put a bullet through it.This guy and his actions definitely dont help the cause to keep hunting legal.

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Accusations are swirling, but let’s tease these complicated strands apart.
Lion Aide: read it all especially 3 and 4. Anyone can quote partial facts!

1. It is completely legal to bait lions in Zimbabwe – it is standard practice. Cecil was shot with a bow and arrow from a blind. That is also legal. Cecil was shot badly and was only put out of his misery 40 hours later. That is what happens regularly in trophy hunting.

2. Cecil was shot outside a national park in a private hunting concession. That is also legal. It is not illegal to kill radiocollared lions.

3. But Cecil was shot in an area not assigned a lion quota. Supposedly the bait was set for a leopard and then Cecil came along. The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst told his client to shoot the lion, and then the hunt became illegal.

4. The professional hunter then allegedly attempted to destroy the radiocollar to hide the evidence. Allegedly the client was “furious” when he found that the lion was radiocollared. Allegedly, when a professional hunter engages a client in an area without lion quota, the lion will be listed as hunted in an area that does have quota. This could have been standard practice, but unfortunately Cecil was a well-known lion. - See more at: http://www.lionaid.org/news/#sthash.zTJ6RLAs.dpuf

I'm still trying to understand what the Dentist did that was intentional and illegal based on what is being released. It's not illegal to shoot a collared animal. It sounds to me like the land owner was the guilty party. How would YOU get a radio collar off without "destroying" it?

As I said, too early this is all arm chair QB-ing, even mine.

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
He'll just end up paying a fine so he doesn't get picked on a Interpol request while avoiding Zimbabwe for future hunts. He's now officially the most infamous tooth puller since "Doc" Holliday.

Upvote 0

cksea

<*}}}<
Apr 16, 2005
SD
Name
CKSEA
Boat
PORTA
what kind of sicko burdens a wild animal with a GPS collar. Did they just call it over and put its collar on? no they shot it with a dart, took the anal temperature then put a collar on. Sounds like animal abuse to me.

Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
I'm still trying to understand what the Dentist did that was intentional and illegal based on what is being released. It's not illegal to shoot a collared animal. It sounds to me like the land owner was the guilty party. How would YOU get a radio collar off without "destroying" it?

As I said, too early this is all arm chair QB-ing, even mine.

Cut the animal's head off......? Oh wait....they did that.

Reactions: MYNomad
Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Cut the animal's head off......? Oh wait....they did that.
If I can I cape my critters if I want a mount. Sometimes it's possible, sometimes not. It depends on how far in the bush I am.

Upvote 0

Fyermanbob

Wahoo!
May 15, 2012
monrovia california usa
Name
Bob
Boat
Excel
Walter Palmer, is a dentist and a total scumbag! He is a poacher not a hunter. He gives all lawful hunters a bad name! His actions are actually far-reaching as Cecil the Lion was the head of his pride and a prolific breed with numerous progeny. He was quite well-know and drew many visitors just to see him. His loss will significantly effect his entire pride. The African lion is seriously endangered and most likely will become extinct in the wild in our liftimes. If PETA were worth anything, I would support them for any actions they took against this selfish bastard!!!

Lions are NOT listed as endangered! They are listed as vulnerable. In fact in Zimbabwe they are thriving because of good management practices that includes hunting. People need to get their facts straight!

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Lions are NOT listed as endangered! They are listed as vulnerable. In fact in Zimbabwe they are thriving because of good management practices that includes hunting. People need to get their facts straight!
Wikipedia:
The lion is a vulnerable species, having seen a major population decline in its African range of 30–50% per two decades during the second half of the 20th century.[2] Lion populations are untenable outside designated reserves and national parks. Although the cause of the decline is not fully understood, habitat loss and conflicts with humans are currently the greatest causes of concern. Within Africa, the West African lion population is particularly ENDANGERED.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Is it legal to hunt Lions in Africa?

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Lions thriving in Zimbabwe?

Zimbabwe lion population declines
by Sunday News Reporter | Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 | 609 views

Victoria Falls Reporter
ZIMBABWE is carrying out research to establish the population and changing lifestyle of lions in the country, amid reports the population of the king of the jungle has decreased by close to 80 percent in the last 50 years in Africa. Leading tour operator, Lion Encounter, recently held a schools’ conservation quiz competition in Victoria Falls in commemoration of the World Lion’s Day.
The day was first commemorated last year following the research.

Speaking at the occasion, Lion Encounter representative, Mr Stephen Jonasi, said the decline was worrying adding that lion population was now zero in North Africa while in Southern Africa which includes Zimbabwe, there were between 11 000 and 12 000 lions.

He said there were about 100 000 lions in the continent 50 years ago but the number had decreased to between 32 000 and 34 000.
“We are commemorating World Lion Day which falls on August 10 having started last year following a research which revealed that the population of lions is drastically decreasing,” said Mr Jonasi.

“The research was done in 2012 and when it was realised that the population of lions in Africa was drastically declining, August 10 was set aside as the day for commemorations starting last year. There were about 100 000 lions in Africa but the number has decreased to about 32 000, a decline of about 75 percent in the last 50 years.”

Mr Jonasi said people should understand that lions were facing a similar dilemma of extinction as other animals such as rhinos and elephants.

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
Sep 16, 2008
Yucca Valley, CA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
Twin Vee "MamaMia"
This New York Times op Ed pretty much explains the importance trophy hunters play in the role of saving threatened and endangered species in Africa.

I am not a trophy hunter, but I do know several very wealthy members of the Safari Club that spend more on taxidermy each year than I probably earn in a decade. For the most part they are decent people and charitable with their money. These guys have big bucks and give thousands to CWA, DU, QU, etc. which benefits us all.

If the link below doesn't work, Google "saving lions by killing them", a 2013 NY Times article.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/opinion/saving-lions-by-killing-them.html?referrer=&_r=0

Saving Lions by Killing Them
Saving Lions by Killing Them
By ALEXANDER N. SONGORWA
MARCH 17, 2013

DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania

ODD as it may sound, American trophy hunters play a critical role in protecting wildlife in Tanzania. The millions of dollars that hunters spend to go on safari here each year help finance the game reserves, wildlife management areas and conservation efforts in our rapidly growing country.

This is why we are alarmed that the United States Fish and Wildlife Service is considering listing the African lion as endangered. Doing so would make it illegal for American hunters to bring their trophies home. Those hunters constitute 60 percent of our trophy-hunting market, and losing them would be disastrous to our conservation efforts.

In 2011, five animal-rights and conservation groups petitioned the Fish and Wildlife Service to list the African lion as endangered, arguing that the population had fallen dangerously low because of habitat loss, poaching, commercial hunting and new diseases associated with human encroachment. “The U.S.,” their petition said, “is by far the largest importer of hunting trophies from Tanzania.”

LAUREN NASSEF
While that is true, the lion population in Tanzania is not endangered. We have an estimated 16,800 lions, perhaps 40 percent of all lions on the continent, the biggest population in the world. Their numbers are stable here, and while our hunting system is not perfect, we have taken aggressive efforts to protect our lions.

Tanzania has regulated hunting for decades; female and younger lions are completely protected, and the hunting of males is limited by quotas set for each hunting area in the country. We recently made it illegal to hunt male lions younger than 6 years old to ensure that reproductively active animals remained with their prides. And proposed amendments to our wildlife law would further crack down on the export of lions taken illegally, penalize hunting companies that violated our rules and reward those that complied.

Africa, of course, is endowed with a tremendous wealth of wildlife, and Tanzania has been particularly blessed. We have roughly 130,000 elephants, two of Africa’s three largest populations of wild dogs, and spectacular landscapes like the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Mount Kilimanjaro. We have placed nearly a third of our land in national parks, game reserves and wildlife management areas.

Of all the species found here, lions are particularly important because they draw visitors from throughout the world — visitors who support our tourism industry and economy. Many of these visitors only take pictures. But others pay thousands of dollars to pursue lions with rifles and take home trophies from what is often a once-in-a-lifetime hunt. Those hunters spend 10 to 25 times more than regular tourists and travel to (and spend money in) remote areas rarely visited by photographic tourists.

In Tanzania, lions are hunted under a 21-day safari package. Hunters pay $9,800 in government fees for the opportunity. An average of about 200 lions are shot a year, generating about $1,960,000 in revenue. Money is also spent on camp fees, wages, local goods and transportation. And hunters almost always come to hunt more than one species, though the lion is often the most coveted trophy sought. All told, trophy hunting generated roughly $75 million for Tanzania’s economy from 2008 to 2011.

The money helps support 26 game reserves and a growing number of wildlife management areas owned and operated by local communities as well as the building of roads, schools, hospitals and other infrastructure — all of which are important as Tanzania continues to develop as a peaceful and thriving democracy.

If lions are listed by the United States as an endangered species, American hunters may choose to hunt other prized species outside of Africa or simply not hunt at all. This would add further strain to our already limited budgets, undo the progress we’ve made, and undermine our ability to conserve not only our lions but all of our wildlife.

As Tanzania’s highest-ranking wildlife official, I ask on behalf of my country and all of our wildlife: do not list the African lion as endangered. Instead, help us make the most from the revenues we generate. Help us make trophy hunting more sustainable and more valuable. In short, please work with us to conserve wildlife, rather than against us, which only diminishes our capacity to protect Tanzania’s global treasures.

Alexander N. Songorwa is director of wildlife for the Tanzanian Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
If you kill something you don't consume your fucked up. That's how I see it.
From what I read the villagers that live around there take everything left....they even use the bones....

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
Name
mike
Boat
g3
This New York Times article pretty much explains the importance trophy hunters play in the role of saving threatened and endangered species in Africa.

I am not a trophy hunter, but I do know several very wealthy members of the Safari Club that spend more on taxidermy each year than I probably earn in a decade. For the most part they are decent people and charitable with their money. These guys have big bucks and give thousands to CWA, DU, QU, etc. which benefits us all.

If the link below doesn't work, Google "saving lions by killing them", a 2013 NY Times article.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/opinion/saving-lions-by-killing-them.html?referrer=&_r=0
your right,the money from hunters save all animals period.These guys on here slamming trophy hunting are the same as peta ,they are anti-hunters.You are either for hunting and believe animals are for human use or you are against it.There is no sitting on the fence.Money is what saves animals,and money comes from tags.THe money from hunters provide habitat and once that money stops its over for hunting and its over for the animals.This dentist got the same rush by killing that lion as bd guys would by catching and killing a big bf.He paid for his tag and i am sure the money helped people ,and provided incentive to have more lions.It would take guts and skill to shoot wild lion with a bow.You can justify your killing fish also but peta wont.You cant have it both ways,its sad this guy had to close his office and is getting crucified.I dont cecil ever got crucified for killng the weakest little thing he could.I am sure this dentist has done more to help the earth than that cecil ever did.fuck cecil the only good thing he ever did was get shot.

Reactions: Fyermanbob
Upvote 0

gunnyslinger

Steady 1’s and 2’s
Mar 15, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Justin
Boat
20’ CC
your right,the money from hunters save all animals period.These guys on here slamming trophy hunting are the same as peta ,they are anti-hunters.You are either for hunting and believe animals are for human use or you are against it.There is no sitting on the fence.Money is what saves animals,and money comes from tags.THe money from hunters provide habitat and once that money stops its over for hunting and its over for the animals.This dentist got the same rush by killing that lion as bd guys would by catching and killing a big bf.He paid for his tag and i am sure the money helped people ,and provided incentive to have more lions.It would take guts and skill to shoot wild lion with a bow.You can justify your killing fish also but peta wont.You cant have it both ways,its sad this guy had to close his office and is getting crucified.I dont cecil ever got crucified for killng the weakest little thing he could.I am sure this dentist has done more to help the earth than that cecil ever did.fuck cecil the only good thing he ever did was get shot.

Get fucked if you think we're bleeding hearts over here.
Most of us understand the importance of hunting and game management.
This was neither!
They illegally lured a fucking collared animal from a game preserve.
I could go on forever.
You're just as pathetic as the hunter in this case.
I really was hoping the hunt was done legally. Good ethical hunting practices already get bad light shed on em.
This incident is nothing but a cowardly attempt to get off on something.
He's a known poacher and piece of shit. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20

I'm slamming the shit out of this guy and I am no way Peta. I'm all for hunting and killing animals you eat or need or diminish for the better of the ecosystem. This guy went into an illegal park, and poached. This guy is a smart man, you really think he didn't know what he was doing? Guess what, there are a shit load more bft in the ocean than lions in the wild. Shifty comparison imo. These wealthy hunters may do a lot for the animals but what this guy did was messed up gives them all a black eye. Just like fisherman, passionate hunters should try and make choices that will better our sport and keep bad aspects out of view from the tree huggers.

Reactions: bparker1225
Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Would it have been more palatable if he had shot a Cheetah?

11825105_483614251817040_1716805963490298321_n.jpg

Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
Notice how the guys who support this kook are the same ones who don't actually ever post anything about fishing or hunting? They're too busy doing whatever people do in in UTAH or posting BS about global warming on the BD Nonsense section to ever get out on the water or out in the field. See the trend...? They're not sportsmen...and neither was the dude who killed this lion.

Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Notice how the guys who support this kook are the same ones who don't actually ever post anything about fishing or hunting? They're too busy doing whatever people do in in UTAH or posting BS about global warming on the BD Nonsense section to ever get out on the water or out in the field. See the trend...? They're not sportsmen...and neither was the dude who killed this lion.

Spoken by a guy who lives in liberal Santa Cruz and who has a 14' Livingston? I guess the wannabe Big Boy has spoken. LMFAO

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.