A 10 closed to all salmon fishing

rhino7

Jul 26, 2012
Kingston WA USA
Name
Ryan
Boat
Jojo
Wdfw announced that A 10 was to close to ALL salmon fishing mon. 10/19 due to high chinook "encounters".

I'm sure glad all those purse seiners don't catch any juvenile chinook or blackmouth. Should be interesting to hear the game wardens explaining to the guys they're writing tickets to for fishing for chum or silvers in estuaries that they fishing illegally due to their impact on blackmouth.

Well the tribes will appreciate not having sport fishers in the way as they net the tribs.

Fisheries mgmt has reached a new low imo for this state. It's a joke.
Good revenue source!

Slightly frustrated.

Reactions: NW-Quackhead

Angry Pirat

Jul 20, 2014
Name
J
Boat
2 Balls Deep
Wdfw announced that A 10 was to close to ALL salmon fishing mon. 10/19 due to high chinook "encounters".

I'm sure glad all those purse seiners don't catch any juvenile chinook or blackmouth. Should be interesting to hear the game wardens explaining to the guys they're writing tickets to for fishing for chum or silvers in estuaries that they fishing illegally due to their impact on blackmouth.

Well the tribes will appreciate not having sport fishers in the way as they net the tribs.

Fisheries mgmt has reached a new low imo for this state. It's a joke.
Good revenue source!

Slightly frustrated.
They just added the Skagit and Stilliguamish too the state and tribes were both involved in that decision.

I'm sure MA 9 is next, I could tell by how hard the fish checker was pushing for additional answers the other day.

bitentime

FNG
Feb 6, 2015
Silverdale WA
Name
jeff
Boat
26 Weldcraft O/S "Bite-N-Time"
The fish checker found us in the fog on Jeff Head yesterday day morning . More reasons to support PSA and CCA

Siv

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
I get the " encounters" , I have been fishing out there and there are a ton of shakers, some of whom do not survive the " encounter " with the hook but how many of these fish are wild?? It cannot be many, my assumption is these are all blackmouth pen raised to stay in the Sound. Does the state offer any real data on this? I know there are guys here much closer to this process than I am, which I thank you for, and maybe they can shed some light on how this decision was made.

Love blackmouth in area 10 in the winter. Wonder if this will cancel the Tengu derby for the first time in , like , 50 years?

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
Does the state offer any real data on this?
There is limited research focusing on post-release mortality in Salmon in the marine environment. The data that the state is using is pretty shaky at best and was originated from a study conducted in the early 90's, I believe.

We need more data.

Unfortunately, the burden of proof falls on the ones setting the seasons. If they cannot prove that we are not doing harm, then we cannot ethically go out and fish. What we don't know can hurt us in this case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Genie Aye

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/downloads/Settlement Workshop Materials/Literature/Muoneke and Childress.pdf

Mortality of chinook salmon (O. tsbawytschd) caught by trolling was estimated to be under 25% (Wertheimer, 1988; Wertheimer et al., 1989). Vincent-Lang et al. (1993) investigated the hooking mortality of anadromous coho salmon (O. kisutcb) and determined that mortality was higher among estuary-caught than stream-caught fish.

Among salmonids, for which a number of hooking mortality studies were conducted under a range of conditions, mortalities ranged from 0 to 57% for brook trout, 0 to 28% for brown trout, 6 to 25% for chinook salmon, 6.8 to 69.3% for coho salmon, 0.3 to 48.5% for cutthroat trout, 6.98 to 14% for lake trout, and 1 to 95% for rainbow trout. With a few exceptions, mortalities were comparatively lower for Atlantic salmon and cutthroat trout than for other salmonids.

Last edited:

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
Mark Yuasa tweeted that the Tengu is cancelled for the first time in 70 years.

Say it ain't so: Tengu Blackmouth Derby is called off for first time in 70 years due to upcoming Area 10 closure.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
apparently there is enough fish in the area since the tribes are netting the shit out of it all night long....almost ran over couple long strings last night trying to do real work....

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I think the area 9 fishery for Blackmouth on tap for Nov. is probably in peril as well. It is discouraging but my opinion is that all these shakers are around and not migrating out due to the large biomass of feed in the sound this year and that is not a bad thing.

Reactions: Jermz and Mpizzle

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
The whales and marine mammals currently off of Possession bar are like nothing I've ever seen.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
It is not only the tribes this time, they are all out there after the Chums. Not sure how many blackmouth would get caught and a 6 1/4 inch mesh net.

apparently there is enough fish in the area since the tribes are netting the shit out of it all night long....almost ran over couple long strings last night trying to do real work....

Areas 10 & 11 (Seattle and Tacoma) will be open to:

Gillnets using 6 ¼ inch minimum mesh:

5 PM Tuesday, October 20 to 9 AM Wednesday, October 21

5 PM Thursday, October 22 to 9 AM Friday, October 23

Purse seines with a 5 inch strip:

Monday, October 19 from 7 AM to 6 PM

Purse seines must release all Chinook and coho

SeeMeFISHIN

Aug 23, 2009
Lk Forest Pk
Name
Eddy
Boat
20', Grady White
I think it's still crap that there are nets going in while we get the shaft. Even with the larger mesh, I am sure there are plenty that still get caught. What weird year....

That really is too bad about the Tengu Derby, sad to see such a long running tradition be canceled.

Fishinnut

Apr 18, 2008
Monroe, WA USA
Name
Ron Garner
Boat
32 Proline Express
Supposedly we were at 150% of our impacts was the reason for the shutdown. Wild Bill nailed it. They say they think that most of our shakers are staying in these areas. Wednesday is a WDFW meeting to go over remaining areas.

Last edited:

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
They want that chum money. I only saw the mucks net a few times all summer and it was only a day or so. Been gone a month so not sure if they ramped it up.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
But Ron, how many of these shakers are actually wild fish and not hatchery?? Do we have any data on that?

Supposedly we were at 150% of our impacts was the reason for the shutdown. Wild Bill nailed it. They say they think that most of our shakers are staying in these areas. Wednesday is a WDFW meeting to go over remaining areas.

MA9

Feb 21, 2012
Seattle WA
Name
BW
Boat
Boston Whaler
Next up - Area 9 on the chopping block.....

Bummer that our opportunities on local waters are being diminished so greatly. Not all of us have the availability or boats to allow us to chase fish in larger water.

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I am sure they have a model they use from historicl data and the test fishers and apply it to the number of blackmouth encounters reported to come up with the percentage of wild fish.

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
Jul 15, 2009
Woodinville, WA
Name
Casey
Boat
23 Pacific
What about winter gear restriction in these areas? Ever tow a plug around all day and catch a ton of shakers? I have towed plugs all day and not caught shakers on them.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Yes, because we are trying to not have the local wild Chinook runs end up listed as an endangered species. If that happens we will totally lose control to the Feds. It may be a lost cause anyway...

Another question is does it matter if the shaker is a "wild" fish or a clipped fish?

BugeaterInWa

Fear the Corn
Aug 10, 2008
Kitsap WA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boulton
Yes, because we are trying to not have the local wild Chinook runs end up listed as an endangered species. If that happens we will totally lose control to the Feds. It may be a lost cause anyway...
I agree with your answer but, does the state or feds care about what was clipped or not in their matrix?

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft