Other Big Ed

Big Ed
Aug 28, 2007
Baldwin Park
Name
Big Ed
Boat
Champion 200Elite
I am a So Cal native.. In addition to LA Landings I also fish the SD fleet for past 30 years.. I have many 3-15 day trips under my belt... I have always looked at the forums and boards to stay in touch with the latest 411 and local and south knowledge. Anymore the main reports from our local LA boats don’t get displayed on a regular basis. The SD fleet NEVER gets a fare shake anymore either?

This BD site has become the BEST place for up to date and REAL reports from Anglers who just want to know what’s going on? I appreciate Let’s Talk Hookup but even they have become commercialized lately... we don’t care about the surf or Alaska every week on a regular basis.. anymore the only real reports come from Mark Wisch and the guy who will tell you to subscribe for his info.. guys like Thunderbird Freedom El Dorado O95 won’t report anymore either?

Why won’t the regular overnight fleet at all four major landings not report the conditions, temp, fish, outlook or info? I get it... if it’s horrible there not gonna say shit. What happen to the news or the regular info?

We NEVER hear from the fleet down south anymore? My question is what happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: antifret

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
I check the counts daily for the 4 San Diego landings. Get a shortcut to their website. I also regularly check 22nd Street Landing the same way. Inside Sportfishing has an app that brings up most of the landings’ fish reports. I remember when 976 started in the early-mid 80’s. I think it used to cost a dollar per call. It’s always been about trying to make some money. These guys just found a way to do it while fishing. Same as Ali and this website. Good on all of them.

Reactions: Other Big Ed

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Guys,the boats that have no problem booking don't always post their counts as they don't want the Parker Navy to know what they are doing.Like turning their AIS off when they get close to where they want to fish.The Internet has been the curse to the sport boats.JMHO.Tom

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I am a So Cal native.. In addition to LA Landings I also fish the SD fleet for past 30 years.. I have many 3-15 day trips under my belt... I have always looked at the forums and boards to stay in touch with the latest 411 and local and south knowledge. Anymore the main reports from our local LA boats don’t get displayed on a regular basis. The SD fleet NEVER gets a fare shake anymore either?

This BD site has become the BEST place for up to date and REAL reports from Anglers who just want to know what’s going on? I appreciate Let’s Talk Hookup but even they have become commercialized lately... we don’t care about the surf or Alaska every week on a regular basis.. anymore the only real reports come from Mark Wisch and the guy who will tell you to subscribe for his info.. guys like Thunderbird Freedom El Dorado O95 won’t report anymore either?

Why won’t the regular overnight fleet at all four major landings not report the conditions, temp, fish, outlook or info? I get it... if it’s horrible there not gonna say shit. What happen to the news or the regular info?

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
They will always post their great days, but not so much the shitty count days. So many of the freelancing anglers check the counts from 1-2 days before and then hop on the hottest boat of the week but it always doesn't turn out that way; they'll never jump on a boat with a shitty count.

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Fishing down here has been so up and down this year theres not much to report , a lot of guys are working there asses off for very little , definitely different conditions and no constituency, it dosent mean its not going to happen , I stopped listening to 976 a long time ago for that reason they can be annoying

clemente_killa

Dead to the Core
Jul 29, 2011
Nevada
Name
Casey
Boat
Big X
One could argue posting pictures from down south acted as a catalyst for the closure of some of the most productive fishing grounds in the world. I too miss the reports from down there, but I understand why they dont post much anymore.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
If it sounds like everyone's crushing it , it's probably "ok" fishing . If it sounds "ok" , it's probably slow . Our addiction always makes for an optimist before each trip .

Laukia

boss
Nov 30, 2004
Carpinteria
Name
Dave R
Boat
28' Carolina Classic
San Diego Tribune still has the Ocean Fishing report. Daily counts of the overnight, full day and 1 1/2 day trips for the big 3 landings and Seaforth. Not individual boat counts but gives an overall idea what's happening.
Just curious...........whatever happened to Phil Friedman?

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
What happened is the fishing hasn't been that good unless you think a 1 1/2 day trip and 25 anglers catching 3 Bluefin is great fishing.This summer has sucked so far except for a couple of weeks at the Coronado Islands.

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
Never have used 976. I don't need to catch fish to have a good time, allthough it's nice to catch. I use BD or word of mouth these days. Just because a boat post good numbers doesn't mean that's the boat to get on. Went on a 2 day in June on the outer limits and we didn't catch squat. Oh we found them but like everyone else that far south we couldn't get them to bite. A couple days ago they posted a great trip with some 200+ lbs tuna. I haven't read a local paper in a long time but I remember reading fish reports in the paper. I live in the IE now so no Orange County Register. I guess Outdoor news still have fish reports. I don't so much as choose a boat for there fish count. I choose a boat if, good captain and crew and can they put you on the fish. A lot of boats can put you on the fish but when most of the people on the boat don't know what there doing the boat count will be low. Fishing is a hobby for some and a living for others.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I'm wondering why this guy thinks 976 is so bad for the regular angler but thinks other sites are so good ?

Reactions: Reel hip

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Big Ed, the information is better than ever. With access to advanced and really pretty accurate weather, and water temps, and currents, the captains of both sportboats and commercial boats are able to go to the places where the prey fish and predator fish are most likely to converge. When I started you just dragged feathers around for hours and hoped that something would come up and pounce, and then hopefully the school would follow.

Nowadays the boats have better sonar than a Cold War Era destroyer hunting subs. It is not at all uncommon for the captain to find either a small handful of deep tuna or even just one, and stop and everyone drops down to see if it wants to play. Most boats have a crewman or two using expensive stabilized binoculars to see the slightest sign of surface activity. Some operations pay to have a spotting plane cover hundreds of miles of open ocean to find fish that might be within range of a trip.

But tuna, either bluefin or yellowfin, are constantly on the move. Where the boat found them yesterday is not very likely to be where they are today, but perhaps in the same general area another group of fish has come in because the conditions were attractive.

Tuna hunting is like mountain big-game hunting. You put in the hours and miles, and you hope that an opportunity presents itself. More elk and big deer are seen but not shot at, or shot at and NOT tagged than are ever tagged. But the hunt and the hope is why we put the time in. In our modern system of civilization it is the closest thing to an adventure that most of us ever get to experience.

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
Fish counts can be a 2 sided coin, at times perhaps inflated and also at times deflated. I'm positive about the deflation, I did it myself when I was running large sportfishing boats. Back in the very good Albacore years 100 fish per boat was considered very good fishing. There were times when we began to consistently bring in over 150 fish per day. If we were to drop below that 150 fish amount, we'd begin to see a drop in the passenger count. So, afternoon reports to our offices began to be given as 100+ Albacore in order to stabilize the number of passengers carried. Although, many days we knew we had well in excess of 100 fish.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Fishing used to be about learning on the water skills and taking chances. Reading charts and burning fuel was the norm. Talking to the local salts for current intel that wasn't going to be shotgunned on the internet. It wasn't the most efficient way to catch fish but it did teach humility and respect for the process of being a consistently successful angler. But norms change, and this big, lactating teat called the internet has made it easier for more good and bad anglers to suckle out the most current information virtually on demand. It has made good anglers better, average anglers good and bad anglers still fishing.

P

Paddyman1

I'm wondering why this guy thinks 976 is so bad for the regular angler but thinks other sites are so good ?
They seem to advertise and promote central and SoCal sport boat trips as their main stay. Plus they don’t use spellcheck LOL, or someone is tipping the early morning gin.

BD advertising is more industry product related, wide range of forums covering charity to recipes, and the ability to converse with other fisherman, anywhere. BD has it dialed in!

Last edited by a moderator:

MDC

Sep 9, 2008
San Marcos/CA/USA
Name
Mark
Boat
none

I disagree. But do you know what is bad for the regular angler? Non report chit chat in the Offshore Reports section you jackwagon!

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Every landing has a daily fish count & early updates daily, water temp is really irrelevant information when they're the ones taking you fishing...
Not the Sportfishing fleets / office's job to make random info available so the private boater can benefit...

Last edited:

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
Instagram fellas. Follow the captains and boats that fish your local waters. When you see a post that grabs interest reach out and ask thoughtful questions. Captains appreciate the follow and engagement on their account and smart ones will be open to spread knowledge in hopes of getting you on their boat!