PENN

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Today was the first day I’ve rock-fished this year and the first time I’ve ever bottom fished at 9 mile.

After getting some mac’s we headed out and got to the bank around 830. There were some rockfish spots marked on the maps so we started drifting around them with 24oz weights (which sucks). Whenever we got a bite I’d spot lock and sit over it for a little bit. Up until 10 it was really slow. Two rockfish and a few sand dabs.

We kept moving and we found a really good spot. Ended up pulling our limit of reds, salmon grouper and some green spotted rockfish on shrimp flies tipped with squid. Dropped down a 200g major craft vertical jig and absolutely slaughtered them, along with 4 cow cod from 15-25# which were safely descended.

Not a bad day, also had a baby sun fish swimming around the boat which was pretty cool to see. Also reeling up a 24oz weight sucks and is even worse with a 4ft long spiny dogfish.

65FE414E-73E3-4A60-AA52-5BA8BA40229D.jpeg

8D73FEA3-406B-41F2-9E52-0D28E9F3D725.jpeg

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    9 Mile bank in US waters is off limits DFW website has maps of the legal line that you can download. It is complicated as it is a series of GPS points and the line connects the dots. If you do not have the "100 fm" legal line in you GPS map, you do not know which side of the line you are on when you are on the water. I do not have such a map.

Reactions: John Stidman

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Today was the first day I’ve rock-fished this year and the first time I’ve ever bottom fished at 9 mile.

After getting some mac’s we headed out and got to the bank around 830. There were some rockfish spots marked on the maps so we started drifting around them with 24oz weights (which sucks). Whenever we got a bite I’d spot lock and sit over it for a little bit. Up until 10 it was really slow. Two rockfish and a few sand dabs.

We kept moving and we found a really good spot. Ended up pulling our limit of reds, salmon grouper and some green spotted rockfish on shrimp flies tipped with squid. Dropped down a 200g major craft vertical jig and absolutely slaughtered them, along with 4 cow cod from 15-25# which were safely descended.

Not a bad day, also had a baby sun fish swimming around the boat which was pretty cool to see. Also reeling up a 24oz weight sucks and is even worse with a 4ft long spiny dogfish.

View attachment 1268659

View attachment 1268660
    How deep were you fishing, Either the current/drift was rippin or pretty deep for 24oz of lead? Just curious what lb spectra were you using, Not your ganion/dropper loops?

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    9 Mile bank in US waters is off limits DFW website has maps of the legal line that you can download. It is complicated as it is a series of GPS points and the line connects the dots. If you do not have the "100 fm" legal line in you GPS map, you do not know which side of the line you are on when you are on the water. I do not have such a map.
    The F&G has those "Connect the dots for the 100 fathom line is such bull shit, Especially on the 14 mile bank along with some of the other banks, They (F&G) can take those dotted lines and stick them up their A_ _ !!! :finger:

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    Thanx for posting the chart with the line. The law says that anything seaward of the line is off limits. So, even though the nine is shallower than 100 fm, it is still off limits.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    How deep were you fishing, Either the current/drift was rippin or pretty deep for 24oz of lead? Just curious what lb spectra were you using, Not your ganion/dropper loops?
    I think 430 was what we ended up finding fish on. I was using 50 braid with 50 mono top shot. It wasn’t really ripping I just wanted to stay on the bottom. We tied on 16oz after we spot locked.

Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    When the wind is up, try powering into the wind at idle and drop on the spot. You may need to keep bumping it in and out of gear, but you can "walk" around the spot as opposed to blowing past it. Just make sure you keep the lines out of the prop. Its tough in my boat as the wind blows the bow around. Anyway, it works.

Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    When the wind is up, try powering into the wind at idle and drop on the spot. You may need to keep bumping it in and out of gear, but you can "walk" around the spot as opposed to blowing past it. Just make sure you keep the lines out of the prop. Its tough in my boat as the wind blows the bow around. Anyway, it works.
    With my trolling motor I just stay right on top of the spot.

Upvote 0

Latest posts