tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Took off in the fog from SD bay around 7am. Was told to gear for Halibut and calicos in the bay, but the boat owner decided to head out to the south 9 to scout for BFT. Dodged some large navy ships, and submarines, had to wait out the fog at the tip for a while, my buddy scored a nice Sculpin and a Sandy, both released. We got out to the S. 9 pretty fast, it was nice and flat, the fog lifted. Saw a large school of porps, pretty big area of them jumping and hanging around the boat. Headed out west for a little bit, saw some birds and boils, splashes, rolled over and saw they were Tuna busting small bait! Probably 60-100 lb fish, blowing up all over the place! Birds going off, tuna in all directions. Could clearly see them, not porps! I had no real tuna tackle, I did have a progear 541with a seeker 655 rod, 80/40 which never got picked up. (Bait, jigs, no big flatfalls along)Threw a 25# TLD20 with a squish 80g from the bow into a boil and got picked up, screamed line off till less than half remained, could not slow it down, and got cut off, must have gulped it down. My buddy got picked up twice on slow troll dinos, 1 hook straightened, and 1 knot failed. (He uses ancient gear, kind of new to the game, shopping for real setup tomorrow!) I got solid bumped on a different squish later. Did not stick. Could not believe the volume of fish everywhere! Called it out on the radio, heard a guy saying it was "WFO 10 miles from the point", so he must have been close too. Saw only 1 other boat, a Triumph trying to get in on them, but saw no love. Less and less fish/birds, saw porps, and Tuna blowing up together, later in the day. Slowed down, quieter and quieter till we bailed. Wow, I will never leave home without my 2 speed 655H! Did not want to be pulling on calicos with it, and save the wear and tear. I took some videos but the fish were too far off, one sorta worked, let's see if I can attach it. Basically BFT being BFT. But, a few biters in there, nice grade! The reels were screaming!!! Brought a swiss army knife to a gun fight! Go out and get some!! Good Luck!

scbassmaster

twin22s
    Sep 8, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    "I'm in the market, as it were" - Jack Sparrow
    I’m going to use that excuse next time a guy gives me shit for bringing too many rods on his boat... haha. Still had to be cool to get bit so close to home, curious why that TLD20 had 25# though. Short heavier bite leader of flouro might have helped but you work with what you have at the time. I’ve been out there unprepared and it’s tough, 200lbers jumping off the bow and I’m holding a tranx 400 colt sniper setup, I made a few casts before just watching them, never been praying not to get bit before, weird feeling, lol.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I am a prepared type normally. This time the boat owner said "we will wet some lines in the bay", and there was supposed to be a first timer going. He bailed, I brought 5 rods to cover the FNG, and fingered by big setup, but chose to not grab it. When I showed up the plan changed. Next time, I will! Epic to see, now I have to live with it. Tough to be the invitee! Lol! PS 66' water, 20 gal of gas.

Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat
    Boat hoe
    Lol 😂 went deep dropping a couple yr back and only took an inshore termamar for a just incase yellow and hooked a 50lber and proceed to hate life for 45min.

Reactions: Tunahead

jeffkaiser

Almost A Member
    Oct 14, 2005
    escondido, ca
    Name
    Drew Ann
    Boat
    Grady White Adventure 208
    Joe,
    I was out at the drop off for calicos and heard you talking about getting bit on the squish. The horror!! Hope you got most of your line back.
    Contemplated running out there. Should have...maybe tomorrow!
    Thanks for the report!

BTW, which whale boat called everyone in? Profs to them. Love it when everyone plays nice!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tunahead and tbev
    Upvote 0