Killin Time

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
JT
Boat
Grady-White/ Killin Time
Planed a trip around the kids getting on some fish (4 on board, ages 11 - 15). Planned to go out for just local bones, but with the reports of skippies still at the 9 made a last minute decision to head out to the west 9.

Got a late start. Had a direct injector go out on the motor. Had a spare on board (yes I have been down this road before), so I ran back to the fuel dock to swap it out. Soon after we were on our way. Fog, light winds, so so bait.

Started trolling around 8:30 for some skip jig stops, with some bait fish thrown in. Hit some smaller patties for nothing. At 11:30 or so found a large garage door sized patty.

First drift wide open on the smaller 4-6 pound grade YT. A few were as small as 3 lbs. Kep only a few and the rest are still in the ocean

Second drift same.

Third drift some skippies joined in on the fun.
Around the forth drift get a doubble hook up on something bigger. By buddy was bit on his Talica 8 on 25 lb floro and got a nice 20ish YFT to the boat in normal time.

My Son (13 years old) was bit on a Team Diawa E glass crankbait rod, rated 8-17 pound test and a round baitcaster reel spooled with spectra and floro leader (He was using this one and freshwater swimbait rig to make it more sporting on the smaller YT and Skippies). Lucky this reel has a large capacity on the spectra. The Mexican Standoff was on. He was a champ and kep the rod at max puling power the whole time. Once the fish started to show signs of weakness (at least 15 - 20 minutes) he started to turn it's head. At this time he went to the short stroke and started putting line back on the spool. I kept bumping the boat in and out of gear to keep him on the windward side of the boat. He got deep color and the death spirals started. He did a great job of steering the fish the whole time and especially when he circled it around one last time to me for a head shot gaff. 30 plus min later the nice 25 pound class YFT was on the deck. Lucky the hook was in the corner of the fishes mouth.

We went back up (way up) to find the patty and make another pass for nothing. Their was marks at 40 feet right on the patty. So on our next couple of passes I keep a steady line of live chum going. This got the marks to come up, but from there on end if was only Skippies.

Nice seas in the morning (before 11:00), becoming washing machine with up to a 15 kt wind around 1ish. Their were a lot of 3 foot wind waves, but still made 25 kt on the way back to mission, without beating the boat up.

Water was 69 almost everywhere on the west 9 and clean.

YFT came within 30 yards of the patty and not way off of it like so often they are.

Tunas were stuffed with 4 inch chovy and some 6 inch squid. I mean stuffed.

Only hot baits were getting bit, but we did manage to get them (including the YFT) to eat them on 3/0 hooks. Line getting bit was 15 lb - 30 lb floro. Some of the bait was as big as 7 inches and as small as 3 inches.

Hope this helps as I know not very many YFT, if any have come off the nine over the last several days.

Go get them.

IMG_1668.jpg IMG_1675.jpg IMG_1674001.jpg IMG_1682.jpg 20181027_134055.jpg

Upvote 0

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
Nice! You saved the day having that injector with you. Some day if the kids end up with boats of their own, they will appreciate that preparedness lol. Way to get on the fish.

Upvote 0

Woodeneye

May 23, 2007
North Orange County
Name
Chris
Boat
Striper 2300
Nice work and awesome useful report with #’s. Who could ask for anything more.

Upvote 0

clizza

Oct 3, 2012
fontana ca us
Name
cliff
Boat
a-saltweapon
Planed a trip around the kids getting on some fish (4 on board, ages 11 - 15). Planned to go out for just local bones, but with the reports of skippies still at the 9 made a last minute decision to head out to the west 9.

Got a late start. Had a direct injector go out on the motor. Had a spare on board (yes I have been down this road before), so I ran back to the fuel dock to swap it out. Soon after we were on our way. Fog, light winds, so so bait.

Started trolling around 8:30 for some skip jig stops, with some bait fish thrown in. Hit some smaller patties for nothing. At 11:30 or so found a large garage door sized patty.

First drift wide open on the smaller 4-6 pound grade YT. A few were as small as 3 lbs. Kep only a few and the rest are still in the ocean

Second drift same.

Third drift some skippies joined in on the fun.
Around the forth drift get a doubble hook up on something bigger. By buddy was bit on his Talica 8 on 25 lb floro and got a nice 20ish YFT to the boat in normal time.

My Son (13 years old) was bit on a Team Diawa E glass crankbait rod, rated 8-17 pound test and a round baitcaster reel spooled with spectra and floro leader (He was using this one and freshwater swimbait rig to make it more sporting on the smaller YT and Skippies). Lucky this reel has a large capacity on the spectra. The Mexican Standoff was on. He was a champ and kep the rod at max puling power the whole time. Once the fish started to show signs of weakness (at least 15 - 20 minutes) he started to turn it's head. At this time he went to the short stroke and started putting line back on the spool. I kept bumping the boat in and out of gear to keep him on the windward side of the boat. He got deep color and the death spirals started. He did a great job of steering the fish the whole time and especially when he circled it around one last time to me for a head shot gaff. 30 plus min later the nice 25 pound class YFT was on the deck. Lucky the hook was in the corner of the fishes mouth.

We went back up (way up) to find the patty and make another pass for nothing. Their was marks at 40 feet right on the patty. So on our next couple of passes I keep a steady line of live chum going. This got the marks to come up, but from there on end if was only Skippies.

Nice seas in the morning (before 11:00), becoming washing machine with up to a 15 kt wind around 1ish. Their were a lot of 3 foot wind waves, but still made 25 kt on the way back to mission, without beating the boat up.

Water was 69 almost everywhere on the west 9 and clean.

YFT came within 30 yards of the patty and not way off of it like so often they are.

Tunas were stuffed with 4 inch chovy and some 6 inch squid. I mean stuffed.

Only hot baits were getting bit, but we did manage to get them (including the YFT) to eat them on 3/0 hooks. Line getting bit was 15 lb - 30 lb floro. Some of the bait was as big as 7 inches and as small as 3 inches.

Hope this helps as I know not very many YFT, if any have come off the nine over the last several days.

Go get them.

View attachment 975486 View attachment 975487 View attachment 975488 View attachment 975491 View attachment 975492 View attachment 975493
We saw you guys taking picks under the bridge.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Such a good dad you are. Congratulations on your sons fine catch.

I'm betting his fishing ability is because of you.

Upvote 0

Killin Time

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
JT
Boat
Grady-White/ Killin Time
We saw you guys taking picks under the bridge.
Ya the kids were super happy and the pics showed it. I find myself just chuming, putting bait on hooks and being a deckhand more and more. It's more fun watching my son pull in a fish than myself. You Dads get it:)

Reactions: Reel hip
Upvote 0

Killin Time

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
JT
Boat
Grady-White/ Killin Time
Nice! You saved the day having that injector with you. Some day if the kids end up with boats of their own, they will appreciate that preparedness lol. Way to get on the fish.

Thanks I have an Opitmax and it is a bit temperamental (850 hours now). I have had a few Direct Injectors go out on them, so now I keep a spare. I have been around the optis so long now that I just throw a wrench to them. I must admit, one of my dear friend is a Merc Professional and has helped me understand this complex motor. He is great. If anyone needs a good opti, Merc or Yamaha guy just PM me.

Saturday I went from a check eng light to smooth sailing by having the extra injector on board. You can diagnose which injector is bad by pulling the injector wires wile the motor is running. The one the creates no difference in how it runs when pulled is the bad guy.

Reactions: colemans224
Upvote 0

Killin Time

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
JT
Boat
Grady-White/ Killin Time
I mean hey...I'm not complaining about some yellowtail!
No problems with the YT! Especially when everyone is hooked up at once:)
Thought you would want to know what got the YFT going. Hope you guys too get into them this late in the season on a 12 mile run. Hey, better to be lucky than good, right:)

Upvote 0