Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
Finally a break in the weather. Headed out to the 9 MB with 3 lbs of squid. Just installed a trolling motor on the boat with spot lock anchoring. Get there at 0800 and spend the rest of the day looking for them. We would drift until we get a bite then engage spot anchor to keep on that spot. Got a few extra cuz of TM. My 1st mate hauls in the biggest of the day, 5 lb Mexican rockfish. Ended up with 19 various species of rockfish.
IMG_2406.jpg

Upvote 0

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Thanks for report. Good knowledge of your fish, it looks like a noticeable lateral line helps distinguish the Mexican rockfish. In the Scorpionfish family I read. I bet it was delicious.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
No oddly enough the Mexican Rockfish taste like $hit!

Usually found in deeper water what depths were you fishing?

We were on the 9 today too what a beautiful day on the water. We ended up with 18 nice Reds, 10 grouper and a couple of Widow Rockfish on squid as well. Most of them came from 360-410'

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
You're right about mexican rockfish. They are my least favorite of all the RF species but my pastor loves all RF. So the 2 we caught plus a few more goes to him. However, IMO they are the best fighting of the RF, all the way to the surface with pull.

We looked for the reds all day on the far south-end where I usually find them, only catching one on the 1st drift. But the variety of RF we caught makes for a fun game at dinner time trying to figure out what's the best tasting fish. It's usually not the reds but the smaller more cigar shaped RF in beautiful colors of oranges, greens, yellows and colors in-between.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Fillet generously so you leave a bunch of the nasty meat nearest the skin. Think blood line that is wide and near surface skin. The rest is good to go. They are mostly head and bloodline.

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    We had a family fish fry last night with our two grown kids. We did a taste test on the orange species we caught and the a species with a pink stripe running laterally. Pink stripe won hands down. I saved the reds and the green banded small fish for another night. Gave about 4 lbs of filets to our retired pastor mostly mexican and the orange species. I fileted the mexican like Aggro said above and surgically removed from the rest of the filet any sign of a bloodline. The filets looked great. I should of tried one in our taste test.

Going out in a few hours to catch sanddads at my secret location. Two days ago we went there on our way back home from the 9MB. I went to the SD WP on my F/F and deployed the TM and hit Spot Lock. Kept over the spot until I caught a dinners worth (my favorite). Used a few 3"sanddads for lingcod off the green tanks but it was late and I wanted to get home for my afternoon nap. Today I'm going to load up on sanddads and fish the rest of the day looking for what likes them. Weather looks ok with a little mixed swell. Still fine-tuning how to use the self-deploying TM in an ocean environment but its fun trying. Not a pretty install but it works great in bad weather (swell and wind). TM is so strong (36v, 112 T) stopping the boat in Spot Lock I had to re-inforce the bow pulpit

Phase II of the project is to install 2 FF/GPS units with portable transducers in the bow to run operations from there.

IMG_2409.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: repo805
    Upvote 0

javierlopez123

Almost A Member
    Sep 21, 2019
    Pomona
    Name
    Javier
    Boat
    Skippy 24 Fly
    Nice report!! Thanks!! Nice trolling motor!! I installed one last year on my 18’ Larson I have that I use as my lake/river boat! Total game changer!!! I wish minnkota made one that would work for my skipjack!! LOL!!!

Upvote 0

Rivertrip

Cabo 256 cuddycon
    Jun 20, 2015
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Cabo 256 cuddycon
    Watch your connection plug!!!!
    I had the identical setup on my last boat.
    The boat shop installed my plug exactly like yours. I couldn't keep the salt water out of it. I packed it with dielectric grease thinking it would help...nope. The pins are very thin, corrode, turn green and break very easily. Since you already mounted it that way, maybe run a bead of clear silicone around the joint where the plug meets the base. In hindsight, had I known it was going to be an issue, I would have run the wiring into the anchor locker or something similar to protect the plug from any moisture at all...just an fyi.
    Great trolling motor. The spot-lock is awesome and an absolute pleasure and game changer!

Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    Rivertrip,
    Thanks for the suggestion on the plug. I've been thinking about that potential problem ever since I mounted the socket there. Even thought the socket/plug is sealed with O-rings to prevent water penetration, I'm going to relocate the plug inside the anchor locker like you suggested any way. Probably inside the bow access box with a wireway from the cutty I installed years ago to get power to the bow for the anchor windless. Burned up the windless trying to pull anchor out of the kelp. That's why I'm installing an electronic anchor to fish the kelp again.

In fact going down to the boat soon today to continue with Phase II of the project, ie. installing two FF/GPS with transducers in the bow to run operations from there. I'll update my Customization tread as I proceed with this project.

IMG_1597.jpg

Upvote 0