9 Mile bank and patty fish 10-8

PENN
Oct 21, 2017
San Diego
Name
Nathan Nichols
Boat
One of these days.....
So yesterdays plan was to just mess around with the local bonito off of point loma. We got a few on the troll and then a couple more with flylined sardines. We saw a ton of boats headed out toward the 9, so we decided to head out that way. We stopped on a HUGE patty that somehow was only holding a small yellowtail that I got on a surface iron that I sunk out about 30 seconds. We finally moved on to the 9 where in about 3 square acres boats were probably 30 boats. Yellowfin and skipjack were biting but unfortunately we had some really small sardines and just couldnt get them to go right away. It took a few moves to get into a bite, but we finally ended up landing about 5 or 6 skipjack in the 5-8lb range. I heard that there were some bigger yellowtail to be caught on some of those patties...any info on those?

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320

Personally, I have no knowledge of the bigger Yellowtail and where they're hiding on which paddies, but I can tell you . . . Skipjack blood along with their gills is like Nectar of the Gods to Lobster, and yes I've seen people spike and/or slit the throat and capture the blood only to be used at a later time/date as a supplement along with their Lobster bait. Not exactly like Sardine Oil sold in various fish stores and locations, but it works pretty damn good. Enjoy. John.

Reactions: HighRootz
Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2017
San Diego
Name
Nathan Nichols
Boat
One of these days.....
Personally, I have no knowledge of the bigger Yellowtail and where they're hiding on which paddies, but I can tell you . . . Skipjack blood along with their gills is like Nectar of the Gods to Lobster, and yes I've seen people spike and/or slit the throat and capture the blood only to be used at a later time/date as a supplement along with their Lobster bait. Not exactly like Sardine Oil sold in various fish stores and locations, but it works pretty damn good. Enjoy. John.
Thanks for the info. Im not a lobster fisherman, so i guess the skips wont be put to that use.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Nice report. We went last week, and it was actually only the smaller dines that got bit by the Yellowfin, maybe in the 4-5 inch range. I tried a really big one, and all he did was manage to swim around the other lines, never close to getting bit...... LOL

Upvote 0