Offshore 9 mile bank 3/22

PENN
Mar 20, 2020
San Diego
Name
C
Boat
15’ Hobie power skiff
Got out of the bay by 0700, with a pretty strong wind out of the east behind us. About 3 miles out from Pt. Loma we ran into a solid flock of diving birds and dolphins, good sign!

More like foreshadowing.

All day long it was just birds and dolphins. I
have never seen so many dolphins in my life. Every time we would see some action, we would creep up and not a damn fish in sight or on the meter. We were even in dive gear ready to spear them, due to reports of fish being seen but not biting, and even then, diving in, nothing but dolphins and dogs.

We spent about 5 hours trying to make shit work, checking paddies, chasing birds for nothing but an awesome day on the water away from all the dumb shit on land. Even though we didn’t land anything today, I’d do it all again just for the mental recharge. We traversed the entire 9 a few times and headed west half way to the corner. Water was 58 degrees and a dark blue/green. Almost no boats on the water, but did team up with M/V Fatial attraction. If you’re on here man, good stuff out there bro, we gave it our best.

good luck out there guys.

Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Got out of the bay by 0700, with a pretty strong wind out of the east behind us. About 3 miles out from Pt. Loma we ran into a solid flock of diving birds and dolphins, good sign!

More like foreshadowing.

have never seen so many dolphins in my life. Every time we would see some action, we would creep up and not a damn fish in sight or on the meter. We were even in dive gear ready to spear them, due to reports of fish being seen but not biting, and even then, diving in, nothing but dolphins and dogs.

We spent about 5 hours trying to make shit work, checking paddies, chasing birds for nothing but an awesome day on the water away from all the dumb shit on land. Even though we didn’t land anything today, I’d do it all again just for the mental recharge. We traversed the entire 9 a few times and headed west half way to the corner. Water was 58 degrees and a dark blue/green. Almost no boats on the water, but did team up with M/V Fatial attraction. If you’re on here man, good stuff out there bro, we gave it our best.

Didn’t try bottom fishing?

Upvote 0

DEAGEA

• Jul 16, 2017
    California
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Moby1

More like foreshadowing.

100% on Point with what we experienced on Saturday! Thx for the post.

Upvote 0
    Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Just wondering, when you jumped in, did you see the Dolphin? My experience is they never show themselves, no matter how thick. You never know when you will bump into tuna! Nice effort, The wind must have made it tough for spotting patties-

Upvote 0