9.9 yamaha

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
I recently purchased a used 1998 Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke. It needs a little work. The main problem is it won't lock when its put in reverse. The lock lever is seized up. I am trying to get the main bolt that runs through the main bracket and holds the two bracket clamps together removed. The bolt is hollow and basically is a piece of steel pipe that is threaded on both end. The fucker wont come out I heated it several times put some krool an WD on it and hit it with a ball peen and a wooden block. :madfire: I'm afraid if I hit it any hard or apply more heat I will break something and the bolts in a thin aluiminum housing. Anyone replaced one or had this issue? My next step might be to drill the pipe out but I don't want to screw up the housings. :smash:

W

woodrow246

Matt, whats your schedule? i can help this week if u are around

rkcarguy

Dec 4, 2009
North Puget Sound
Name
Ryan
Boat
4' more baylitter than JohnVH
Have you tried heat on the casting around the bolt?
Several heat cycles and some PB blaster usually does it.

“biteme”

Killin kings
Oct 6, 2009
Bellingham
Name
Brian B
Boat
26 osprey
Take just that bracket off and drop it into a bucket of diesel. That will soak into it and hopefully free it up. Mine is getting sticky again and am about to do the same. Heat didnt work for me either!

Salmon Addict

Feb 5, 2011
Area 7 San Juans
Name
Matt
Boat
20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
Yeah my old man and I put the heat to it tonight several times hit it with some kroil didn't budge. The bolt ended up breaking in the center which is no big deal. Now I can drill the bolt out of the two housing with the drill press. Looks like I'm in the clear just have to order a few parts and I'm good to go!