Offshore 9/5 Pursuit Sportfishing - Catalina

djek81

Jun 4, 2020
los angeles
Name
yellowfintail
Boat
h&m landing
This is sad AF.. seems like the Pursuit is notorious for pissing ppl off.
Usually on the way back after a great trip all passengers become friends and gather in the galley or stern to share their past experiences. I was on the Liberty few weeks ago at the beginning of the dorado mayhem week. Someone brought up his bad experience on the Pursuit. Seemed like every single person in our circle, even the guys from SD, heard horror stories regarding the Pursuit, from getting their belongings stolen to bad service.
I have never be on the Pursuit before, but it’s been on my list.. hope they get it together soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2011
Wilmington, CA.
Name
Adalberto
Boat
N/A
My friend’s gold trini with a Calstar graphiter were stolen. He reported to the captain and pretend they look for it , never found. He was a 65 years old fishing his first time the boat by His self. This was around 5 years ago. Obviously persuit is not an option for him anymore. Sad this shit happens. And is been happening for long time.

Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
FYI, If you want to vent on the situtation you've had or anyone else that's had issues with the boat/crew, Save your time and energy complaing to the boats Captain or the boats Owners and direct it to either or all of the following Owners of 22nd landing in Writing to, Mark Pisano, Paul Strasser and Danny Strunk at 141 W. 22nd street, San Pedro, Ca, 90731. Until people speak up about the problems to the Owners of 22nd st landing, about the Boat/Crew problems, It will continue to go on indefinitely!
Paisano and Strasser are old school, stand up guys. I've known them both for over 30 years. Used to fish with them on the First String, Islander and Monte Carlo. They spend most of their time now working the bait boats and the Indie. Ask to leave a message for either of them at the landing or try to reach them through SD, where the Indie is usually docked. I guarantee you that they would respond and take action.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
That's what I was kind of getting at... the culture was different. I spent most of my time in Dana Point, completely different culture than LA, even different from Newport. Significantly less deadheads, maybe 1 or 2 that was it. More of an emphasis on customer service / retention than a quick buck.

This is probably because the landing owns nearly all the boats. The other boats that were owned by others at the time such as Doesburg (Fury / Helena) and Gallagher (Cobra) were typically charter only. Though they did run overflow sometimes, the landing boats were the first on the roster for open party trips.

Yep Mike Hansen 86ed Mitchell M because he got to many complaints for hanky pinky “GRHS”. Dana is mellow and Donna doesn’t allow a DH without a green ticket. You forgot about Tom on the Game Fish....lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt.C.Delany
Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Yep Mike Hansen 86ed Mitchell M because he got to many complaints for hanky pinky “GRHS”. Dana is mellow and Donna doesn’t allow a DH without a green ticket. You forgot about Tom on the Game Fish....lol

Oh yeah, how could I forget Shano! Also Commack on the Pro-fishent.

Mitchell was such a tool. I worked with him and Gallagher for 3 years. Can’t tell you how much he ripped me off in side money as a young kid looking back on it now. Like when he “held my money for me” so I could save up for a new Diawa Sea Lion when they first came out lol. I was a young kid and didn’t know any better! Tried to PM you with some of the story after he left Dana but you have your PMs turned off.

Hell when I was real young I remember being on the Reel Fun with you fishing sheephead in Laguna with the gold bucket of Pismo clams.

Some of my best memories were made down at Dana when I was a kid. I have a huge amount of gratitude to the Hansen family for what I learned early on in life. Mike especially, he got me out of quite a few jams over the years and helped me out when I was down on my luck. They run a tight ship!

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Devo
    Boat
    Trophy
    Oh yeah, how could I forget Shano! Also Commack on the Pro-fishent.

Mitchell was such a tool. I worked with him and Gallagher for 3 years. Can’t tell you how much he ripped me off in side money as a young kid looking back on it now. Like when he “held my money for me” so I could save up for a new Diawa Sea Lion when they first came out lol. I was a young kid and didn’t know any better! Tried to PM you with some of the story after he left Dana but you have your PMs turned off.

Hell when I was real young I remember being on the Reel Fun with you fishing sheephead in Laguna with the gold bucket of Pismo clams.

Some of my best memories were made down at Dana when I was a kid. I have a huge amount of gratitude to the Hansen family for what I learned early on in life. Mike especially, he got me out of quite a few jams over the years and helped me out when I was down on my luck. They run a tight ship!

Yep they owe me money to but they always had $ for Turks Gallagher is a loser he went all Gangster with Bitchell went to the Poeky....l’ll reset my settings email me

Upvote 0

Stakanak

Sep 25, 2013
    Long Beach, California, USA
    Name
    Mark Nakagawa
    Boat
    “Buzzcatcher”
    Im Not sry u had a bad experience. i use to fish that boat back in 2008. very fishy and crowded but just like any good restaurant or club theres a wait. I dont fish the boat anymore because i like to fish the outer islands nowadays. They catch fish more than other boats. Theres bunks and now the have rsw. quit being cheap they saved your buddys fish. You really think he could have got it out of the kelp and landed it all on his own. im sure the yound deckies need some customer service training. Its a business the crew works hard they wanna get paid at the end of the day. Dont be cheap and tip. Maybe u cant at the moment.Its all good state your reason. The world doesnt revolve around your current situation. Dont walk on the boat and expect A plus service when your attitude isnt the same. Its a catalina day boat... like someone said buy your own boat. let us know how that goes. Walk in a mans shoes before you judge. How do u catch fish when you MF's are wheenies...
    Hey fuckball, pull your head out. Everyone needs a reality check now and then. Who the fuck are you protecting?

Upvote 0

slixx1320

Jul 2, 2015
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    NA
    I haven’t fished on the pursuit but it’s enough for me not to ever. Buddies of mine had similar experiences, they haven’t been on it for 5+ years. Monte Carlo is another boat I won’t go on. Been on it once and it was enough never to go back on again.

Upvote 0

monster1

Typical Striper owner
    May 30, 2006
    Long beach
    Name
    Monster
    Boat
    Yep
    Sounds like he is probably one of the dead heads on the boat, The way he is covering up for the boat!
    No shit. "Back in" 2008? Like what, 12 years ago? I've got underwear older than that that's still in service. But hey, he doesn't mess around with local day trips anymore. He does the outer island trips now. LONG RANGE!

Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    I just wish they'd install RSW's on all the LA boats. Nothing like having a record hot weekend turn your catch from sashimi grade fish into sub-par fish you might throw on the grill due to sitting all day baking in a sack. I think the Freedom is the only LA boat that has a RSW. i could be wrong
    Most 3/4 local boats have deadheads.

Reactions: Vanmungo
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat
    none
    Fished the Enterprise out of pierpoint Landing Yesterday; Monday.
    Boat has a nice platform , wide and plenty of rom at the bow. It costs much less than the pursuit, but it took 4 hours to get to the backside of the island. Few deadheads, but we had plenty of room.
    Nice crew, very helpful and quick to resolve tangles . I enjoyed the trip and will go again , but they have to figure a way to get to the island much earlier than 10 am .

Reactions: Vanmungo
    Upvote 0

Lefty Angler

Mar 30, 2018
    Los Angeles
    www.leftyangler.com
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    15 foot Calibogie
    Ive fished the Pursuit about 7 times since I got started fishing charter boats in 2018 and have never had this type of bad experience or seen others with an experience like this while I’ve been on board. I’ve taken my dad and my pre-teen son as well and it’s been perfectly fine. An occasional drunkard gets on everyone’s nerves but such is life. The burgers are pretty good. I’ve appreciated the smaller loads this year due to covid even though it’s a higher price (75 people flylining or newbies chucking irons is not fun). I always pay the $5 for the jackpot and have won it twice with some solid yellows. I tip well, I think - maybe they remember me? I did see Gus rip into a guy for messing with the bait tank on one trip and wasn’t fun for that guy. I think he banned him from the boat after the third warning.

Some of the stories on here really suck and I don’t blame people for going elsewhere. I’ve just been lucky to be able to always be on the Pursuit (and the San Diego in San Diego) when they’re on the fish and the workers and patrons are nice I guess.

Went on my first overnight this year which was awesome and hoping for a 1.5 day in 2021. Will likely try the Freedom so we’ll see how that goes.

Reactions: streetnfish
    Upvote 0

Seeker guy

Sep 1, 2020
    California
    Name
    Ed
    Boat
    no
    Deckhand jason and crew on the Enterprise,i think they only do like Tuesdaye tue
    New to these forums but me and 4 other buddies are booked on the Freedom for tonight's trip. Ill post tomorrow about how it went.

I will say though. I have had bad experiences with deck hands out of other landings as well. Hell even on the same boat out of a different landing, one trip we have the most amazing and helpful deckhand a person can imagine. Then a week later a holier than thou condescending better than everyone in the world type.

The biggest issue I see with deckhands and mind you this is just my opinion (Albeit not a very experienced opinion either) is that most deckhands spend damn near every day of their lives on the water they fish more than a lot of boat owners I have met. They gain tons of knowledge and experience but they fail to realize that most of us do not have the luxury of being on the water fishing day in and day out. Most of the people that go on these boats only go at max a couple times a year because they have other life obligations that prevent them from enjoying this sport more often. But in general a lot of the deck hands out there fail to realized that and think that everyone who steps foot on the boat should be a world class fisherman and deck hand assistance should be very minimal or none at all. Combine this with the fact that a good chunk of their income is based on the number of fish they prep and the gratuities they receive and you have a recipe for a very bad deckhand. Again this is only an observation and my mostly inexperienced opinion!
    Hands down the Enterprise out of long beach! If it is Mitch ,Jason, and the rest of the crew you will not want to go on another boat i promise

Reactions: lkatdpelicanfly
    Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Just read your report after I booked my overnight trip out of LA. On the Freedom will see how it goes. Will post when I get back this coming Friday. Usually fish out of San Diego.

The Freedom is the BEST BOAT In the Los Angeles area. Tino the captain is the man. He has excellent customer service. Runs a tight boat. Never had a bad trip. His passion for fishing and great customer experience you feel the moment you step on the boat and get the captains speech.

Enjoy your trip

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    The Freedom is the BEST BOAT In the Los Angeles area. Tino the captain is the man. He has excellent customer service. Runs a tight boat. Never had a bad trip. His passion for fishing and great customer experience you feel the moment you step on the boat and get the captains speech.

Enjoy your trip
    Which landing does it run out of?

Upvote 0