PENN

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
if it’s Gus the captain. he’s a good fisherman. but he’s a doosh. let me start by saying that Woodrum, the 1/2 owner with Gus (at least how I understand it) seems like a stand up gent. At least I know his son as he’s a little older than my middle son. great kid. welcome on my boat anytime. so now the story.

over the past 6 years my kids injected “fishing” into the their local high school. i’m talking serious fishing into the sports program. so, this led to us chartering a handful of trips (overnight and just day trips) that entailed many High school kids. some had never caught a fish, some had caught many. but, we are about community and what a way to spend time with teammates, off the field.
did the Pursuit one day because an old baseball player was working it. great friend of ours.
Did the catalina thing. get back to the fuel dock (after a long day of calico only catching) and the crew is making comments about tipping. mind you, about 6-10 fathers on this boat. some us us throwing in 100$ tips when we pay our food bill of 50$!!! well they are mumbling. then Gus comes down to finish fuel and I was uncomfortable. so i just chat with him. and he was like “you should know that this is how we make our money” and all that jazz. i was like, sir, i filled your boat with 30 teenagers who 1/2 of them didn’t have a dollar to their name. but they saved and paid their day on this trip. And they are the future of our industry.”.
he wasn’t having it. i literally wanted to knock his fucking head off his shoulders. so clueless as he’s in a service business. but i swallowed it as always. I understood that this was all he had and If I was the one to ruin his vision, i was the one responsible for showing him the light, i would have felt bad bout it. Definition of simpleton.
i hate to throw this out there like this. these times are so tough for all, except the sport boats in 22nd st. they have that shit hole place locked down and unfortunately, they will be full again next weekend.
should we calll the landing? don’t waste your time. they are all “bro’s” down there.

A save your money. buy your own boat. that’s why I have one.

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Sounds like you should buy a boat... don't have to worry about all that shit you bitched.

Upvote 0

RUSS88

Jul 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Im Not sry u had a bad experience. i use to fish that boat back in 2008. very fishy and crowded but just like any good restaurant or club theres a wait. I dont fish the boat anymore because i like to fish the outer islands nowadays. They catch fish more than other boats. Theres bunks and now the have rsw. quit being cheap they saved your buddys fish. You really think he could have got it out of the kelp and landed it all on his own. im sure the yound deckies need some customer service training. Its a business the crew works hard they wanna get paid at the end of the day. Dont be cheap and tip. Maybe u cant at the moment.Its all good state your reason. The world doesnt revolve around your current situation. Dont walk on the boat and expect A plus service when your attitude isnt the same. Its a catalina day boat... like someone said buy your own boat. let us know how that goes. Walk in a mans shoes before you judge. How do u catch fish when you MF's are wheenies...

• Angry
Reactions: Stakanak
Upvote 0

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
I was invited by my friend on the Pacific dawn last year on a private charter on a fishing club. I know I caught the biggest tuna. The charter master told me that I won the jackpot. An hour later he said there are more fish inside the fish holder. I didn't win the jackpot.
I said it ok. I didn't plan to keep it anyway. Because I was just an invite guest. If you plan to keep the jackpot don't play. If you play don't expect to keep.

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    One of the things I sometimes think about is the lack of pinheads around. Been a long time since I have been on a sport boat but when I was 8/9 years old or so there were a lot of us competing to be on certain boats and with certain Captains. With child labor laws, liability etc I think a lot of that has gone away. That is the formable years where you learned how to treat customers, boat operation etc. If you were not cutting it, you would not be allowed on the boat.

Those kids then transitioned into being deckhands with the respect and skills they learned. Now hiring someone at 18 without that upbringing is kind of asking for issues. The long hours, the manual labor etc get to people and it is now just a job out of necessity rather than passion.

If you look at the landings the constantly have great customer service and crews, they typically also have a list of people wanting jobs. That adds a level to the game, if you suck and are hurting the business with your attitude or work ethic you will be terminated and your replacement will be waiting at the dock.
    Why would certain boats want pinheads, The deadheads are their assets. Would the Captain on certain boats want a bunch of pinheads running around and scrubbing the boat Or a bunch of deadheads trying to get them the jackpot, before covaid they would pack on 60-90 people a day and those jackpots were pretty healthy. The Captain would rather fill space with people fishing the jack pot for them and tell the deckhands to scrub the boat them selves.💲💲

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Im Not sry u had a bad experience. i use to fish that boat back in 2008. very fishy and crowded but just like any good restaurant or club theres a wait. I dont fish the boat anymore because i like to fish the outer islands nowadays. They catch fish more than other boats. Theres bunks and now the have rsw. quit being cheap they saved your buddys fish. You really think he could have got it out of the kelp and landed it all on his own. im sure the yound deckies need some customer service training. Its a business the crew works hard they wanna get paid at the end of the day. Dont be cheap and tip. Maybe u cant at the moment.Its all good state your reason. The world doesnt revolve around your current situation. Dont walk on the boat and expect A plus service when your attitude isnt the same. Its a catalina day boat... like someone said buy your own boat. let us know how that goes. Walk in a mans shoes before you judge. How do u catch fish when you MF's are wheenies...
    :rofl: Also Learn how to spell in your man shoes!

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    if it’s Gus the captain. he’s a good fisherman. but he’s a doosh. let me start by saying that Woodrum, the 1/2 owner with Gus (at least how I understand it) seems like a stand up gent. At least I know his son as he’s a little older than my middle son. great kid. welcome on my boat anytime. so now the story.

over the past 6 years my kids injected “fishing” into the their local high school. i’m talking serious fishing into the sports program. so, this led to us chartering a handful of trips (overnight and just day trips) that entailed many High school kids. some had never caught a fish, some had caught many. but, we are about community and what a way to spend time with teammates, off the field.
    did the Pursuit one day because an old baseball player was working it. great friend of ours.
    Did the catalina thing. get back to the fuel dock (after a long day of calico only catching) and the crew is making comments about tipping. mind you, about 6-10 fathers on this boat. some us us throwing in 100$ tips when we pay our food bill of 50$!!! well they are mumbling. then Gus comes down to finish fuel and I was uncomfortable. so i just chat with him. and he was like “you should know that this is how we make our money” and all that jazz. i was like, sir, i filled your boat with 30 teenagers who 1/2 of them didn’t have a dollar to their name. but they saved and paid their day on this trip. And they are the future of our industry.”.
    he wasn’t having it. i literally wanted to knock his fucking head off his shoulders. so clueless as he’s in a service business. but i swallowed it as always. I understood that this was all he had and If I was the one to ruin his vision, i was the one responsible for showing him the light, i would have felt bad bout it. Definition of simpleton.
    i hate to throw this out there like this. these times are so tough for all, except the sport boats in 22nd st. they have that shit hole place locked down and unfortunately, they will be full again next weekend.
    should we calll the landing? don’t waste your time. they are all “bro’s” down there.

A save your money. buy your own boat. that’s why I have one.
    Don't let one or two boats give all the other's bad names. There's a few boats at 22nd st landing that don't pull this bullshit. What people should do is direct all these complaints to the owners of the landing. One of the owners (If not both of them) is Mark Pisano or Paul Strasser (hopefully someone reading this can verify the correct person/person's who own's a percentage of the landing). I Guarantee if these complaint's get to them, They Will take care of it, They (both of them) DO NOT Tolerate this type of business ethics!! Good luck.

Reactions: Rocket Dog
    Upvote 0

efx

Almost A Member
    Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    This gives fishing a bad name. I highly suggest you get a 20’ center console with a 115 hp four stroke and fish on your own private boat. Life is too short to deal with this. And the term “Speedro” ! Lol. Perfect description

Reactions: lkatdpelicanfly
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I gave up regularly fishing on 1/2 through overnight boats about 20 years ago. I don't know how but boats, crew and even fishermen are a whole different breed between those the multi day trips. On occasion, when I need fresh air and a reminder I jump on whatever boat is running with 1 rod/reel combo, a phanny pack (yes and don't laugh), 3-4 jigs, a few hooks and zero expectations. If I am lucky, I will get off the boat with the same gear, a few beers and a boat burger in my stomach, some fresh air and nothing else. Don't care if I catch anything or not just getting out was enough for me. On multi day trips I make sure I bring two 120qt coolers just in case. LOL

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
    Aug 17, 2006
    North County
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
    F those guys !! I was fishing with my daughter on the 5th, 6th over there ...we were trolling and picking off Bonita and my daughter was having a blast! Saw them on the backside dealing with a Black Seabass, pushing at it with gaffs and other poles a bunch of times with the thing floating like a cork !! At this point I get alittle cell service and I stop and text my wife ..I hear the pursuit coming I look up and he is 15 feet from my boat and cuts right in front!! Why I have no idea !! I tell my daughter I bet they just left the Black floating because the boat was too far away from the fish on the last attempt that I saw, So we start heading over to check but there was a little skiff that Got it down already!! Good for you buddy!! Anyway I was not impressed with those clowns!!

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    F those guys !! I was fishing with my daughter on the 5th, 6th over there ...we were trolling and picking off Bonita and my daughter was having a blast! Saw them on the backside dealing with a Black Seabass, pushing at it with gaffs and other poles a bunch of times with the thing floating like a cork !! At this point I get alittle cell service and I stop and text my wife ..I hear the pursuit coming I look up and he is 15 feet from my boat and cuts right in front!! Why I have no idea !! I tell my daughter I bet they just left the Black floating because the boat was too far away from the fish on the last attempt that I saw, So we start heading over to check but there was a little skiff that Got it down already!! Good for you buddy!! Anyway I was not impressed with those clowns!!
    I've heard a few stories like you describe. Same boat.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    Why would certain boats want pinheads, The deadheads are their assets. Would the Captain on certain boats want a bunch of pinheads running around and scrubbing the boat Or a bunch of deadheads trying to get them the jackpot, before covaid they would pack on 60-90 people a day and those jackpots were pretty healthy. The Captain would rather fill space with people fishing the jack pot for them and tell the deckhands to scrub the boat them selves.💲💲

That's what I was kind of getting at... the culture was different. I spent most of my time in Dana Point, completely different culture than LA, even different from Newport. Significantly less deadheads, maybe 1 or 2 that was it. More of an emphasis on customer service / retention than a quick buck.

This is probably because the landing owns nearly all the boats. The other boats that were owned by others at the time such as Doesburg (Fury / Helena) and Gallagher (Cobra) were typically charter only. Though they did run overflow sometimes, the landing boats were the first on the roster for open party trips.

Upvote 0

yewyew12

Jul 12, 2018
    SCV
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    zzz
    Freedom is a tight operation. You won’t see that! Great capt tino!

I'm going out on the freedom Thursday night fishing friday too. Been like 4 years since I've gone out of LA but yeah the freedom was a solid operation the last few times I was on it. Caught my 1st bluefin on that boat actually in the fall of 2015 when they were fishing Osborn bank

Upvote 0

HTA

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 18, 2005
    Anaheim
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    I have fished the Pursuit and had a similar situation where the deckhands buddy had the jackpot fish. I made a last cast with iron and hung a yellow just as they started raising the anchor. The fish turned out to be much bigger than the fish caught by the deckhands buddy. So when they called for the jackpot everyone was patting me on the back as we all new it was the jackpot fish. When I presented it for jackpot they told me it was disqualified because I caught it trolling. You could hear the cry of bull shirt from all the other anglers on the boat.

Upvote 0

Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Hung One
    Boat
    Hung One
    Went out on the Pursuit out of 22nd street on 9/5 for a full day trip. Good fishing, but overall a pretty shitty experience, wanted to share so others dont get sucked into the same BS. Trip started and went great the whole day up until the end. Captain was a super fishy young guy, we had what must have been a 15 year old deck hand, and one other more seasoned deckhand, decent cook and clean boat. Bait was already on board so we headed straight to the back side of catalina. My buddy signed up for jackpot and I skipped. We get to the back side of the island and we start fishing live bait and caught 2 really nice yellows, 20 and 25 lb. The larger one my buddy landed, during his fight the captain told my buddy to let him have his rod so my friend passes it over and the captain proceeds to fight it for a minute or 2 trying to get it out of the kelp and passed it back, took another lap and crossed another guys line, deckhand asked for pass back and they got it untangled and my buddy landed it shortly thereafter. Shortly after, my dad hooks a sealion, I grab his rod and kill the 30 yards of braid its taken ASAP with my dykes and I get a smart remark from the deckhand asking why I did that, and I should have buttoned down my drag to get all my line back. the tone was hilarious, homeboy was pretty miffed for some reason? I look at him and he apologizes with "great reaction though". Didnt see a reason to put the wear on the drag to try to break the mono so oh well, lesson learned? On top of the keeper fish, everyone went wide open on bonito early in the day, we dont care for them but kept a handful to feed to our dogs, Right before we pull anchor on stop one I pull in a nice keeper calico. Sweet!

Next stop, farther down backside of cat.... I pulled a smaller 10-12# yellow and from there they just turned into rats but i think end of day we ended with 10 Yellow Tail total. I pull another legal Calico. Captain is working his ass off to put kids on fish for a family and it was pretty cool to see. Got one of them on a yellow, hats off sir! This sport turns into a bonito hell fest again quick and I start tossing them back....Deckhands see's me doing this and i get lit up with another smart comment of "Hey what are you doing dont do that!!??" I reply, "Im not going to eat these so im not keeping them". Deckhand Replies, "Its ok, someone else will take them".... ok cool I guess ill keep catching them and keeping them for others although we are wide open on them every stop. Odd but whatever.

We make our way back around to the front and make a few more stops running at a snails place, current was pretty crazy in the spots we fished. Ended up limiting on Bonito so we started throwing them all back and called it a day. Crew starts their boat cleaning process and the more seasoned deckhand starts making his round for fish cleaning, he gets to us and we tell him we want to filet just the yellowtail and Bass and to leave the Bonito whole, and thats where it all went downhill.... Deckhand proceeds to tell us that we can have them gut it or filet it but wont leave it whole. We reply with, we dont need all those Bonito and were trying to throw them back, we are just going to toss them in an industrial grinder for our dogs. Deckhand replys with, well we bled each one of those fish and threw them in the cooler vs leaving them in the sacks which keeps the meat better and thats how they make their money, so he replys again, do we want it gut or filet'd..... LOL. This guy is laying it on thick and has no shame in his game. I step in and say look, we arent going to have those touched so leave them whole or you can keep all of them and he storms off in a fury. ok all good.

We get to jackpot weigh in, My buddies fish is the clear winner next to the other non crews caught fish, my buddy celebrates and 2 mins later they call him over and essentially told him hey we cant actually give you jackpot because we helped you fight the fish. My buddy has been on a boat 3 times max and doesnt really know the ins and outs of Jackpot rules nor did we cover them so at this point he is pretty pissed and they keep arguing back and forth. The boat is pretty silent as they go back and forth and deckhand starts to throw some more personal jabs at my buddy and then storms off with the filet knife to go back to work in the customer service industry. I try to cool down my friend and tell him its all good not the end of the world, Deckhand comes back up to try and reason again and my buddy is heated and is not understanding why he was asked to hand over his rod twice and for that he loses jackpot. Deckhand gets frustrated and replies with "bro why are you being such a chick" and all verbal hell breaks lose again.... again deckhand storms off back to the board. my buddy exchanging words the whole time............ Chill dude, its a jackpot....

Captain comes down and tries to put out the flame, they both have a civilized convo and the captain essentially word for word says "that fish was in the kelp and there is no way you were going to land it if we didnt help.... I step in at that bullshit remark and call him out. Sure they helped but that was a cocky ass assumption that we couldnt fish and luck isnt involved. They essentially stalemate out and the captain says you guys can just not ride on this boat again, my buddy and I are blown away at the professionalism and customer service. The jackpot no one cared about, the douchy remarks were the offenders here, but it got better.

We get back into the breakwall and we all start squaring up and low and behold we are being forced to pay this fish cleaning charge per person for Bonito that we didnt want or need. Hell i was trying to throw them back and got stopped all so they could rake in cash at the end of the stop. Hilarious system they have as even the captain comes over the loud speaker and will not park until everyone pays up on that filet money.

Long story short, we wont be going back and I hope this can educate others on how to avoid a shitty experience on the water. Back to SD we go. Oh and I never did get any of my calico meat. Thanks Pursuit!

I had a very similar experience and that’s why I’ll never go on that boat again. Crew is a joke. I got a jackpot yellow and the crew got a larger one on troll, they literally tried to school me and say troll fish count lmao. In what fucking world? Basically sat their and professionally schooled them, as did more than half of the boat. they give me the jackpot money in the end and it was like 37 bucks lol. Makes no sense based off of their percentage and basic math. I just said keep the dough dude, you obviously need it more than I do. then I proceeded to tell them I always give the crew the JP when I win and The fact that you guys are trying to rip me off is pathetic. They just stood quiet

Good for you two to hold your ground, they did you a favor of now allowing you back on their boat

Upvote 0

Latest posts