makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Just read your report after I booked my overnight trip out of LA. On the Freedom will see how it goes. Will post when I get back this coming Friday. Usually fish out of San Diego.
    Most of the LA overnight boats are not too bad. Its the 1/2 day and 3/4 day cattle car crews that are the big problem.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Went out on the Pursuit out of 22nd street on 9/5 for a full day trip. Good fishing, but overall a pretty shitty experience, wanted to share so others dont get sucked into the same BS. Trip started and went great the whole day up until the end. Captain was a super fishy young guy, we had what must have been a 15 year old deck hand, and one other more seasoned deckhand, decent cook and clean boat. Bait was already on board so we headed straight to the back side of catalina. My buddy signed up for jackpot and I skipped. We get to the back side of the island and we start fishing live bait and caught 2 really nice yellows, 20 and 25 lb. The larger one my buddy landed, during his fight the captain told my buddy to let him have his rod so my friend passes it over and the captain proceeds to fight it for a minute or 2 trying to get it out of the kelp and passed it back, took another lap and crossed another guys line, deckhand asked for pass back and they got it untangled and my buddy landed it shortly thereafter. Shortly after, my dad hooks a sealion, I grab his rod and kill the 30 yards of braid its taken ASAP with my dykes and I get a smart remark from the deckhand asking why I did that, and I should have buttoned down my drag to get all my line back. the tone was hilarious, homeboy was pretty miffed for some reason? I look at him and he apologizes with "great reaction though". Didnt see a reason to put the wear on the drag to try to break the mono so oh well, lesson learned? On top of the keeper fish, everyone went wide open on bonito early in the day, we dont care for them but kept a handful to feed to our dogs, Right before we pull anchor on stop one I pull in a nice keeper calico. Sweet!

Next stop, farther down backside of cat.... I pulled a smaller 10-12# yellow and from there they just turned into rats but i think end of day we ended with 10 Yellow Tail total. I pull another legal Calico. Captain is working his ass off to put kids on fish for a family and it was pretty cool to see. Got one of them on a yellow, hats off sir! This sport turns into a bonito hell fest again quick and I start tossing them back....Deckhands see's me doing this and i get lit up with another smart comment of "Hey what are you doing dont do that!!??" I reply, "Im not going to eat these so im not keeping them". Deckhand Replies, "Its ok, someone else will take them".... ok cool I guess ill keep catching them and keeping them for others although we are wide open on them every stop. Odd but whatever.

We make our way back around to the front and make a few more stops running at a snails place, current was pretty crazy in the spots we fished. Ended up limiting on Bonito so we started throwing them all back and called it a day. Crew starts their boat cleaning process and the more seasoned deckhand starts making his round for fish cleaning, he gets to us and we tell him we want to filet just the yellowtail and Bass and to leave the Bonito whole, and thats where it all went downhill.... Deckhand proceeds to tell us that we can have them gut it or filet it but wont leave it whole. We reply with, we dont need all those Bonito and were trying to throw them back, we are just going to toss them in an industrial grinder for our dogs. Deckhand replys with, well we bled each one of those fish and threw them in the cooler vs leaving them in the sacks which keeps the meat better and thats how they make their money, so he replys again, do we want it gut or filet'd..... LOL. This guy is laying it on thick and has no shame in his game. I step in and say look, we arent going to have those touched so leave them whole or you can keep all of them and he storms off in a fury. ok all good.

We get to jackpot weigh in, My buddies fish is the clear winner next to the other non crews caught fish, my buddy celebrates and 2 mins later they call him over and essentially told him hey we cant actually give you jackpot because we helped you fight the fish. My buddy has been on a boat 3 times max and doesnt really know the ins and outs of Jackpot rules nor did we cover them so at this point he is pretty pissed and they keep arguing back and forth. The boat is pretty silent as they go back and forth and deckhand starts to throw some more personal jabs at my buddy and then storms off with the filet knife to go back to work in the customer service industry. I try to cool down my friend and tell him its all good not the end of the world, Deckhand comes back up to try and reason again and my buddy is heated and is not understanding why he was asked to hand over his rod twice and for that he loses jackpot. Deckhand gets frustrated and replies with "bro why are you being such a chick" and all verbal hell breaks lose again.... again deckhand storms off back to the board. my buddy exchanging words the whole time............ Chill dude, its a jackpot....

Captain comes down and tries to put out the flame, they both have a civilized convo and the captain essentially word for word says "that fish was in the kelp and there is no way you were going to land it if we didnt help.... I step in at that bullshit remark and call him out. Sure they helped but that was a cocky ass assumption that we couldnt fish and luck isnt involved. They essentially stalemate out and the captain says you guys can just not ride on this boat again, my buddy and I are blown away at the professionalism and customer service. The jackpot no one cared about, the douchy remarks were the offenders here, but it got better.

We get back into the breakwall and we all start squaring up and low and behold we are being forced to pay this fish cleaning charge per person for Bonito that we didnt want or need. Hell i was trying to throw them back and got stopped all so they could rake in cash at the end of the stop. Hilarious system they have as even the captain comes over the loud speaker and will not park until everyone pays up on that filet money.

Long story short, we wont be going back and I hope this can educate others on how to avoid a shitty experience on the water. Back to SD we go. Oh and I never did get any of my calico meat. Thanks Pursuit!

What a bunch of BS I hate fishing out of OC already.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    There are good boats and good captains and good deckhands at every landing. There are also individual boats and specific people at every landing that may not meet my standards. Those boats and people don't get my money. Fool me once . . .

But thankfully that is only a very small part of the opportunities we have to fish here in SoCal. So I always try to have an open mind and think positive about my trip planning. I've been on the Pursuit at least once a year for a lot of years. It's not my favorite boat but sometimes that seems to be the best ride in a given situation. I've never had the experience that the poster had, but then I haven't been on the water much during the past six months, only one short and one long trip.

I never get into the jackpot, I found that it messes with my mind and takes a lot of pleasure out of the day. I rarely get my fish cleaned. If it is a local run I usually give my fish to others on the boat who want them, and if the trip results in big fish then I have them processed. I try to learn the crews names and be friendly with them, and I know how to tip them.

I'm sorry that you and your friend had a bad experience. Arrogant young deckhands exist, they either grow up and become better at customer service or they stay ashore and become internet influencers and stop bothering us.

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    I ran sportboats in So and Central CA in the early 70's. I've seen various posts on BD from inexperienced guys who were very good at bitching and complaining, totally unwarranted. But, after rereading your well written post, I feel it is likely 100% true. You clearly said it was the PURSUIT. Now, also posting the name of the captain would be beneficial information. Deck hands come and go. But, the captain may intend to make this his career. Sounds like he's young and has time to begin doing it right. Someone has considerable money invested in the Pursuit. They would not be happy with this kind of activity on their boat. The Putsuit is a USCG licensed and inspected vessel. The names of the owner(s) is public information. There are good and bad boats and good and bad crews and individual crew members. I once hired a kid after his parents begged me to give him a job. The kid had experienced problems in his past, but I gave him a chance. After doing a pretty good job he came to me and asked if he could bring his friend out on Saturday, said it was his ex school teacher. I said OK. So, that officially made his teacher friend a "dead head" on our boat. Big boat, big Saturday load, BIG jackpot and fair fishing. Recall the catch that day was small YTs, short barracuda, smaller size Bonita and some nice calico bass. When it came time to weigh up the JP a small/medium yellowtail was out weighing everything. Then somebody brought up a Bonita which slammed the balance scale in the Bonita's favor. A discussion/argument began. A deckhand came and got me from the bridge. I went to the backdeçk to see what was going on. I saw the YT and the obviously smaller Bonita. Deckhand told me the guy who had caught the YT demanded both fish be gutted. I said do it. I watched. YT was gutted first, no problem. When the Bonita was cut out fell two tubular lead weights. The deckhand was the problem kid I had hired, the Bonita angler was his teacher friend. When we got to the dock I fired the deckhand on the spot and told the teacher friend he would not be allowed back on the boat.

JP rules do vary. No sharks, sheep head or halibut and NO sharks, rays, seals or eels were the norm then. Crew helping a bit was allowed. Crew bringing in a fish was not allowed.

Upvote 0

gazbiz

Sep 15, 2012
    Camarillo CA
    Name
    Gary Donovan
    Boat
    Little Annie
    Hi
    Went on the Toronado end of last month........not a good experience, boat was, booked for 28 but had 31 guys fishing, low and behold friends of the crew, boat caught 30 YFT but fish report has 21 anglers not 31.......all to fishy, I usually fish SD, will not fish LA boats again :-( Boat, owner, skipper and cook were great the rest of the crew not so good. A few guys caught over the limit and the extra fish went to the crew and not the skunked anglers.
    Anyway you live and learn.......

Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
    Aug 26, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Working on it
    Lol i went on a 1/2 day out of 22nd a while back on the monte carlo, and there were tons of first timers on the boat, the deckhand stands up and his first words were, “if you get tangled up, im not f’ing getting you untangled, pay attention and only call me if you need a gaff!” I knew it was all downhill from there! Ive been on the 1/2 day outta daveys total different experience some miles down the road. Needless to say i moved back down to diego and havnt had a negative trip yet, be it 1/2 or 1 1/2 day trips. Def different vibe up there in LA when it comes to customer service, they act like they pay you to be on their boat and you should be ever so grateful!

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    I was on the monte carlo 1/2 day about 5 months ago with my 10 yr old for his birthday. I went on a charter to give money to the boats because of the COVID closure. The deckhands were awesome and very helpful. We were catching tons of cudas but the tangles werent too bad because of COVID limited load. The deckhands were on it and we had a great time. We even released a ton and only kept some to give away to other unlucky fisherman.

He was in the jackpot even though I and the crew helped. Nobody gave him any shit. The way it should be on a boat IMO

IMG_1389.JPG

Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
    Aug 26, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Working on it
    I was on the monte carlo 1/2 day about 5 months ago with my 10 yr old for his birthday. I went on a charter to give money to the boats because of the COVID closure. The deckhands were awesome and very helpful. We were catching tons of cudas but the tangles werent too bad because of COVID limited load. The deckhands were on it and we had a great time. We even released a ton and only kept some to give away to other unlucky fisherman.

He was in the jackpot even though I and the crew helped. Nobody gave him any shit. The way it should be on a boat IMO

View attachment 1196911
    Good to hear you had a positive experience out there, i went on it twice, the second time i was assuming maybe they were having a bad day the first time, but it was the same the next. Maybe they changed up some of the crew, good on em if they did.

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
    Sep 26, 2008
    Long Beach
    www.skipjackmafia.com
    Name
    Travis
    Boat
    NO BOATS
    Oh I agree some of these guys are dickheads, and I rarely go on charter because of this. But we got lucky that day. Ive been on bad trips on other boats for sure. Its not good to have shit customer service anywhere, but with the boats loaded to the max they can get away with it unfortunately.

Try the New Del Mar in MDR. Those guys are always cool IMO

Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
    Aug 26, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Working on it
    Oh I agree some of these guys are dickheads, and I rarely go on charter because of this. But we got lucky that day. Ive been on bad trips on other boats for sure. Its not good to have shit customer service anywhere, but with the boats loaded to the max they can get away with it unfortunately.

Try the New Del Mar in MDR. Those guys are always cool IMO
    Yeah thx for the recommendation, i moved to diego like 2 yrs ago so im all about these boats down here!

Upvote 0

Cnyncrvr

Sep 7, 2020
    Glendale, CA
    Name
    Justin
    Boat
    Four Winns Freedom 170
    Just read your report after I booked my overnight trip out of LA. On the Freedom will see how it goes. Will post when I get back this coming Friday. Usually fish out of San Diego.

New to these forums but me and 4 other buddies are booked on the Freedom for tonight's trip. Ill post tomorrow about how it went.

I will say though. I have had bad experiences with deck hands out of other landings as well. Hell even on the same boat out of a different landing, one trip we have the most amazing and helpful deckhand a person can imagine. Then a week later a holier than thou condescending better than everyone in the world type.

The biggest issue I see with deckhands and mind you this is just my opinion (Albeit not a very experienced opinion either) is that most deckhands spend damn near every day of their lives on the water they fish more than a lot of boat owners I have met. They gain tons of knowledge and experience but they fail to realize that most of us do not have the luxury of being on the water fishing day in and day out. Most of the people that go on these boats only go at max a couple times a year because they have other life obligations that prevent them from enjoying this sport more often. But in general a lot of the deck hands out there fail to realized that and think that everyone who steps foot on the boat should be a world class fisherman and deck hand assistance should be very minimal or none at all. Combine this with the fact that a good chunk of their income is based on the number of fish they prep and the gratuities they receive and you have a recipe for a very bad deckhand. Again this is only an observation and my mostly inexperienced opinion!

Upvote 0

cbwaterhunter

Aug 16, 2014
    Name
    Pete
    Boat
    Dustpit
    Thanks for the info. Headed out on Pursuit next week. Will be my first time out this summer. I know they're usually the first boat out and they fish hard from my experience. I can tell they miss me already because I usually give the boat my jackpot. :rofl:

Can't wait to see the captain and deckhands face when I tell him I'm dead broke and shouldn't be spending this kind of money.

Trips can suck sometimes. I Went out of San Diego on a 1.5 day. It was just a 30 hour boat ride. When we did find some tuna we blew the generator on the chase and the bait died. Headed home early. Got some money back but you know SD ain't cheap now.

Each boat has different rules on Jackpot. But stay out of it. You loose most of the time.

Upvote 0

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    just a sign of the times... all the captains and crews are getting younger and younger by the year... and kids these days dont have respect for shit in my opinion... they all just want to be the Hot Dog... so they can blow up their Social Media... morals and values are low on their Totem Poles. I was on a blue fin trip yesterday... no jackpot collected... and if I had to guess I dont think any of the "captains" were over 30... and the deckhands all closer to 20... if that. 6 fish were landed... 2 by frequent dead heads... 2 by 2nd captains... and 2 by your basic "rental rodders"... one of the strangest trips Ive ever been on. The kid on the tank most of the day just sat there on his cell phone... honest to God... I saw him get huffy at someone because he had to put down his phone and jump down to help with a tangle... and he had an attitude all damn day. Oh... and come to find out he was responsible for the RSW... which upon being opened pulling into the harbor... never turned on... and the fish were WARM to the touch when they pulled them out... true story... 3 of those fish were caught by 7:00am... those fish were trash...

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
    Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Wait let me get this straight, you went fishing on the pursuit and none of your shit was stolen?
    Hell I would consider that a great trip.

Gus and John should be so proud.

Upvote 0

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
  • Jun 22, 2014
    No Grave But the Sea
    Name
    Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
    Boat
    Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
    One of the things I sometimes think about is the lack of pinheads around. Been a long time since I have been on a sport boat but when I was 8/9 years old or so there were a lot of us competing to be on certain boats and with certain Captains. With child labor laws, liability etc I think a lot of that has gone away. That is the formable years where you learned how to treat customers, boat operation etc. If you were not cutting it, you would not be allowed on the boat.

Those kids then transitioned into being deckhands with the respect and skills they learned. Now hiring someone at 18 without that upbringing is kind of asking for issues. The long hours, the manual labor etc get to people and it is now just a job out of necessity rather than passion.

If you look at the landings the constantly have great customer service and crews, they typically also have a list of people wanting jobs. That adds a level to the game, if you suck and are hurting the business with your attitude or work ethic you will be terminated and your replacement will be waiting at the dock.

Upvote 0

samotlietuvis

Feb 2, 2019
    Palmdale, CA
    Name
    Tomas
    Boat
    Sea Hunt Victory 207
    Hi
    Went on the Toronado end of last month........not a good experience, boat was, booked for 28 but had 31 guys fishing, low and behold friends of the crew, boat caught 30 YFT but fish report has 21 anglers not 31.......all to fishy, I usually fish SD, will not fish LA boats again :-( Boat, owner, skipper and cook were great the rest of the crew not so good. A few guys caught over the limit and the extra fish went to the crew and not the skunked anglers.
    Anyway you live and learn.......
    Interesting - I found Toronado to be very good and fair.
    When I won jackpot on toronado I was offered free pass which I took and it was honored.
    Toronado is awesome boat with great captain and crew.

Reactions: Abusaade
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Interesting - I found Toronado to be very good and fair.
    When I won jackpot on toronado I was offered free pass which I took and it was honored.
    Toronado is awesome boat with great captain and crew.
    The Toronado is ok it used to the shit I been riding that boat for 30 plus years , I went out a month ago and there was 2 very young deck hands and one was was lazy as shit it took 5 minutes to get a chum line going and Captain had to ask 3 time in row each time for it . Best Sporty Boat around 22nd ST FREEDOM SPORT FISHING Hands down old school style , bad ass crew and Tino the Main Captain is Old School Pro from all ways not only does he catch the fish but he works hard on the deck , harder then must Deck hands I seen all year on my 8 trips! He is soild I love fishing with him and on the Freedom for 1-2 day trips. We just smashed 62 - 30 -40 pound yellowtail on 9/6/20 in about 3 hours had the fish boiling all around us the whole time left the fish biting and boiling is was hard but after 6 my arms didn't work anymore!!! :oops:

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    I just wish they'd install RSW's on all the LA boats. Nothing like having a record hot weekend turn your catch from sashimi grade fish into sub-par fish you might throw on the grill due to sitting all day baking in a sack. I think the Freedom is the only LA boat that has a RSW. i could be wrong

Reactions: Capt Devo
    Upvote 0

dEDGE

Tuna Slayer
    Aug 12, 2018
    Torrance, CA
    Name
    SteveO
    Boat
    American Angler
    Sorry for your bad experience...

Like everyone else, I've had my share of bad rides over the years. Some just leave you scratching your head. These were at LA landings all the way down to San Diego. Some of my favorites include:

The crew (captain & cook included) smoking in the galley the entire trip. (and this was last year!)

Family members of the captain working the boat as deckhands because everyone else left, quit or was fired. Included mom, daughter, son, son-in-law.

Any time a pinhead brings his personal rods onto the boat and is the first one in the water. (while supposedly working the bait tank)

TBD fish cleaning charges because the crew never filleted large(?) BFT before. Ended up being $105 for two 50# fish.

RSW that remained dry the entire trip. The BFT were thumping as they were chucked into the open hatch. We never got an explanation as to why. Needless to say, sushi-grade was the lone BFT caught on the last stop before heading back to the docks.

Fuel surcharge added when you checked in at the dock. OK, understandable. Additional fuel surcharge added to your tab before we departed because everyone wanted their fish sent to the processors.

Meals included on trip. Unless you missed the single call to eat at every meal. One guy was in the bathroom and was told there was nothing left to eat for lunch. Cook simply shrugged and said he missed the call.

Don't get me started on jackpots...

There's a few boats that I will never step foot on again, for obvious reasons. Fishy or not, customer service makes or breaks it on any trip. But, for all of the bad experiences there are tons of great and memorable ones as well. And they get my business over and over again.

Upvote 0

John56434

Idk what to name dis
    Aug 1, 2019
    West side
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishing boat
    I just wish they'd install RSW's on all the LA boats. Nothing like having a record hot weekend turn your catch from sashimi grade fish into sub-par fish you might throw on the grill due to sitting all day baking in a sack. I think the Freedom is the only LA boat that has a RSW. i could be wrong
    Triton has rsw and some of the bigger boats do too

Upvote 0