ZX6ROCKET

Almost A Member
May 22, 2012
Anaheim Hills, CA
Name
T-Bear
Boat
Hahaha
Went out on the Pursuit out of 22nd street on 9/5 for a full day trip. Good fishing, but overall a pretty shitty experience, wanted to share so others dont get sucked into the same BS. Trip started and went great the whole day up until the end. Captain was a super fishy young guy, we had what must have been a 15 year old deck hand, and one other more seasoned deckhand, decent cook and clean boat. Bait was already on board so we headed straight to the back side of catalina. My buddy signed up for jackpot and I skipped. We get to the back side of the island and we start fishing live bait and caught 2 really nice yellows, 20 and 25 lb. The larger one my buddy landed, during his fight the captain told my buddy to let him have his rod so my friend passes it over and the captain proceeds to fight it for a minute or 2 trying to get it out of the kelp and passed it back, took another lap and crossed another guys line, deckhand asked for pass back and they got it untangled and my buddy landed it shortly thereafter. Shortly after, my dad hooks a sealion, I grab his rod and kill the 30 yards of braid its taken ASAP with my dykes and I get a smart remark from the deckhand asking why I did that, and I should have buttoned down my drag to get all my line back. the tone was hilarious, homeboy was pretty miffed for some reason? I look at him and he apologizes with "great reaction though". Didnt see a reason to put the wear on the drag to try to break the mono so oh well, lesson learned? On top of the keeper fish, everyone went wide open on bonito early in the day, we dont care for them but kept a handful to feed to our dogs, Right before we pull anchor on stop one I pull in a nice keeper calico. Sweet!

Next stop, farther down backside of cat.... I pulled a smaller 10-12# yellow and from there they just turned into rats but i think end of day we ended with 10 Yellow Tail total. I pull another legal Calico. Captain is working his ass off to put kids on fish for a family and it was pretty cool to see. Got one of them on a yellow, hats off sir! This sport turns into a bonito hell fest again quick and I start tossing them back....Deckhands see's me doing this and i get lit up with another smart comment of "Hey what are you doing dont do that!!??" I reply, "Im not going to eat these so im not keeping them". Deckhand Replies, "Its ok, someone else will take them".... ok cool I guess ill keep catching them and keeping them for others although we are wide open on them every stop. Odd but whatever.

We make our way back around to the front and make a few more stops running at a snails place, current was pretty crazy in the spots we fished. Ended up limiting on Bonito so we started throwing them all back and called it a day. Crew starts their boat cleaning process and the more seasoned deckhand starts making his round for fish cleaning, he gets to us and we tell him we want to filet just the yellowtail and Bass and to leave the Bonito whole, and thats where it all went downhill.... Deckhand proceeds to tell us that we can have them gut it or filet it but wont leave it whole. We reply with, we dont need all those Bonito and were trying to throw them back, we are just going to toss them in an industrial grinder for our dogs. Deckhand replys with, well we bled each one of those fish and threw them in the cooler vs leaving them in the sacks which keeps the meat better and thats how they make their money, so he replys again, do we want it gut or filet'd..... LOL. This guy is laying it on thick and has no shame in his game. I step in and say look, we arent going to have those touched so leave them whole or you can keep all of them and he storms off in a fury. ok all good.

We get to jackpot weigh in, My buddies fish is the clear winner next to the other non crews caught fish, my buddy celebrates and 2 mins later they call him over and essentially told him hey we cant actually give you jackpot because we helped you fight the fish. My buddy has been on a boat 3 times max and doesnt really know the ins and outs of Jackpot rules nor did we cover them so at this point he is pretty pissed and they keep arguing back and forth. The boat is pretty silent as they go back and forth and deckhand starts to throw some more personal jabs at my buddy and then storms off with the filet knife to go back to work in the customer service industry. I try to cool down my friend and tell him its all good not the end of the world, Deckhand comes back up to try and reason again and my buddy is heated and is not understanding why he was asked to hand over his rod twice and for that he loses jackpot. Deckhand gets frustrated and replies with "bro why are you being such a chick" and all verbal hell breaks lose again.... again deckhand storms off back to the board. my buddy exchanging words the whole time............ Chill dude, its a jackpot....

Captain comes down and tries to put out the flame, they both have a civilized convo and the captain essentially word for word says "that fish was in the kelp and there is no way you were going to land it if we didnt help.... I step in at that bullshit remark and call him out. Sure they helped but that was a cocky ass assumption that we couldnt fish and luck isnt involved. They essentially stalemate out and the captain says you guys can just not ride on this boat again, my buddy and I are blown away at the professionalism and customer service. The jackpot no one cared about, the douchy remarks were the offenders here, but it got better.

We get back into the breakwall and we all start squaring up and low and behold we are being forced to pay this fish cleaning charge per person for Bonito that we didnt want or need. Hell i was trying to throw them back and got stopped all so they could rake in cash at the end of the stop. Hilarious system they have as even the captain comes over the loud speaker and will not park until everyone pays up on that filet money.

Long story short, we wont be going back and I hope this can educate others on how to avoid a shitty experience on the water. Back to SD we go. Oh and I never did get any of my calico meat. Thanks Pursuit!

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
They don't need your business because they can charge $125 per person for a day trip and they are booked up for next few months. Service quality will keep dropping when they can gouge and still have customers already lined up for months. They will keep these "limit load" prices until people realize its not worth that type of money for shitty service and bad attitude.

I personally think its BS they ask him to hand over rod and then claim the fish is not eligible. If your friend was tired and handed the rod over to someone else to finish, that is a different story. The problem is the captain is a person with "authority" and if they ask you to hand it over, most people would comply since they are in charge. If their policy is that fish that is handed over to anyone during a fight does not count, they need to state it when people sign up for the jackpot.

I fucking hate jackpots and never join because its just another scam. Technically, its also illegal to gamble without a gambling license unless you are in international waters.

Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Whoa...

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Never heard of any other rule than the largest fish for jackpot win. Young Captain must be confused with IGFA line class record rule! Thanks for the heads up. I am sure this incident with haunt the Captain for the rest of his life as one of his many shameful behavior.

Upvote 0

Vanmungo

Dec 20, 2016
    Seal Beach
    Name
    Lee Muncie
    Boat
    None
    Sad to hear. Who ended up with the jackpot? Went on the boat a couple of years and once was enough. No way to treat their customers. Hope the word gets out the way you were treated.

Upvote 0

Grumpiest1

Almost A Member
    Jun 19, 2012
    Carpinteria
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Ocean Oddity
    Just don’t get it do you. Jackpot doesn’t leave the boat. By midday the boat is getting ready for next group of passengers. Squeeze wallets for everything we can, let passengers think we give a shit. Let’s hear from everyone with favorite crew, who’s wearing the dress in the woodshed tonight.

Reactions: j fish
    Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Never heard of any other rule than the largest fish for jackpot win. Young Captain must be confused with IGFA line class record rule! Thanks for the heads up. I am sure this incident with haunt the Captain for the rest of his life as one of his many shameful behavior.
    Most boats have that rule. They just use common sense when enforcing it. Help getting out of a tangle, around the anchor, out of kelp most boats overlook. Second person finishing the fight not so much. I assume the second largest fish was caught by a deadhead or friend/family member in this case, so they screwed him.

Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    Funny..i went out on a local LA 3/4 day on Saturday...got a nice yellow and 5 of those small bonito. Caught another 5 or 6 and threw them all back and no one cared or said anything about throwing them back. Great deckhand..walked along with me to make sure nobody tangled me and was right there to jump up and help me clear the anchor line, then gaffed my fish.Pulled a gill upon request. Service reminded me of the San Diego deckhands on the big boats. Same deckhand was cleaning fish. Asked to keep a few of the bonita whole to use for bait..no problem. No price gouging or mandatory fish cleaning. There are some good deckies and crews on someof the LA boats.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Devo
    Boat
    Trophy
    The leaving the Dock Speech for every trip l ran for 40 Years up and down the Coast is:

Jack Pot fish must be Hooked and Landed with Minimal Crew Assistance (tangles, sealed, help around the anchor, over and unders, stuck on prop or bottom) no Sharks, no Rays ............so they burned you and eveyone else. Also on fish cleaning all you had to do was to pitch the Bonito over the Rail when they got weird about ripping people off and sucked this up but I love Bonito. On the Jack Pot they were pissed because their "Deadheads" were always supposed to take it in a number of ways!!!!!. No winning here just keep this in mind, these South Bay Punks won’t be making a Dime when their season comes to a grinding halt in a Month! They will be fighting over the last candy bars and the small change from the cash box behind the counter in the Galley and bumming for smokes up and down the dock. Dan Hernandez charters this Rig l’ve seen these Tools on his TV show. The Crew looks Homeless they probably live under the Dock with the other Wharf Rats. Hey you got the word out and that matters, Lastly there is no lost and found on the Pursuit anything left is theirs justbe glad you got all you're gear back.as these guys are Rip Offs as well.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    That is a bummer of a story. Sad thing is I had a similar trip out of that landing on a different boat. I chartered the boat for a company trip, luckily there were few seasoned fisherman. I haven’t been back but I might if it was the last landing in So Cal. Never say never.

Reactions: Capt Devo
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    The leaving the Dock Speech for every trip l ran for 40 Years up and down the Coast is:

Jack Pot fish must be Hooked and Landed with Minimal Crew Assistance (tangles, sealed, help around the anchor, over and unders, stuck on prop or bottom) so they burned you. Also on fish cleaning all you had to do was to pitch the Bonito over the Rail when they got weird about ripping people off and sucked it up. On the Jack Pot they were pissed because their Deadheads were supposed to take it anyways in a number of ways!!!!!. No winning here just keep this in mind, these South Bay Punks won’t be making a Dime when their season comes to a grinding halt in one more Month! They will be fighting over the last candy bar and the small change from the cash box behind the counter in the Galley and bumming for smokes on the dock. I could of destroyed them in so many ways their heads would of spun. Dan Hernandez charters this Rig l’ve seen them on TV the Crew looks Homeless they probably live under the Dock with the other Wharf Rats. Hey you got the word out and that matters!!!
    That boat is WELL KNOWN for having just as many deadheads (fishing for the jackpot) than PAYING passengers.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    When Ive taken jackpots, Ive given it to the crew. I figured it was good karma. A few times the head deckhand or who ever was collecting tab/cleaning money at the end would tell me not to worry about the balance. My choice and I was happy to do it.

But, I started seeing more and more shenanigans over time, from intentional mislabeling fish, leaving a JP fish in the hold, tail clipping a bait fish to claim it was on the troll, to boats charging a 20% fee for administering the jackpot.

When I quit participating, I enjoyed the day more not worrying about all that. And, best of all, I got to enjoy a nice nap rather than waiting up for the weigh in.

Don’t miss them at all.

Upvote 0