NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Having had success a couple weeks earlier, decided to try again with the whole family if the conditions would cooperate. launched boat, bought bait and picked the family up at 9am. plan was to see if the yellowtail at LJ was still biting, but decided to look outside since the weather and wind were nice. we cruised about 18kts. About 10 mile off la jolla, my daughter spots a paddy. we pull up, throw bait, pin on a few small sardines and wait. nothing is happening but we are seeing some small fish around. Decide to try something different and found a large sardine in the mostly small bait from MB. 'dine takes off and is picked up. hand it to my son, he flips the bail, and its deja vu. He brings it to the boat and hangs it while i try to get my daughter on one. Bite was very odd, they would only touch the larger sardines and were hard to hook. most baits were bit on the side (like a dog bone). picked up 10+ times but only 4 found the hook. As most of the bait was small and the couple bigger ones were beat up, we decided to slow troll them. that worked well, hooked quite a few including a bull to 15+ lbs and some much better hens.

Probably the oddest behavior (besides them not swallowing bait) was that as we would slow troll, they would follow in the prop wash. literally 3ft behind the prop. we would drop bait on them, they would swim up to look at it, and then return to follow the wash. odd.

All said and done, we probably hooked 8-10, and kept the bull. Smiles all around. Super stoked to enjoy it with the family. unbelievable.

IMG_6361.JPG IMG_6352.JPG IMG_1071.JPG

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Wow. Nice work. Absolutely beautiful fish and stoked kids. Can't beat that!

Reactions: Geo-Fish

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Slow troll your small baits. They'll eat them.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Slow troll your small baits. They'll eat them.

NukeDawg

Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Great job Adam!

How are you liking your Arima?
Really happy with the boat. I went back/forth on center console vs cuddy and glad I went center console. It’s been a great family boat for hanging in bay, tubing, and fishing. Nice to trailer to river lakes and run 20 miles to find Kelp.

Reactions: Arima-bob

Scott Craig

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 7, 2018
Ontario
Name
Crabby
Boat
To the max
Your kids look pretty stoked !! Way to go Dad !! Talk about quality time with the kids !! Looks like a lot more fun then video games !! Enjoy your family meal .

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
Nice work. Memories your kids will have for life.

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Years from now... you will be happy that you snapped those pics right after the gaff. What beautiful and bright colors those fish have right when they come out of the water.

Hope you frame those photos and put them on a wall you see everyday.