Offshore 9/29 NEW LO-AN 1.5 day

82SC

Aug 13, 2018
Pasadena
Name
Mark
Boat
Wish
Been planning this trip for months with my 3 fishing buddies. Last year we did good on YFT schoolie sized off the newly remodeled Excalibur.

This year we were ready for bigger and meaner fish. Picked the New LoAn with its stellar reputation and consistent stats of good fish count.

Spent months combing the reports. Looking an moon phases. Weather. Temp.

Spent some $$ downsizing some of our gear with all the talk of 20# FC and 4 hooks.

Reports were great then hit a lull. Then seemed to be really picking up especially the BFT bite right before our departure date.

As any hobby I get super engrossed and spiral down the rabbit hole. I’m making wind on leaders at home. Hot rodding my reels while watching you tube videos. Even find a secret stash of flying fish 2/3 the cost of g-fly. Stay up the night before rigging then. (See kite policy thread I started)

72ACD7A6-6361-40E7-A916-BA3933AB7D43.jpeg

Day of the trip in the AM I get frantic texts from my group. Landing calls and says bring your big gear. We targeting cows. Capt Adam and the New Lo-An coming in with BFT cows. 250+#

HOLY SHNICKIES. One of the best boats. Best Capt and crew. Reports moving up. Landing calls every passenger to make sure we geared up. The planets have aligned. F yeah. ‘Merica!!!!!

Drive down from LA. Can barely contain my excitement. I am running on fumes 3 hours sleep because all the prep work. But that call in the am gets me so pumped.

Make it down to Point Loma. Meet up with my crew and just bursting with anticipation. My boys are renting some heavier gear. I’m making rigs with 5/0 treble stingers and 12/0 hooks for the flyers. Crimping. Rigging. We sign in number 1-2-3-4.

Then we start hearing a commotion. Oohs and ahhhs from the crowd at Mitch’s seafood.

We turn around and see this

3DFDBE27-0E10-457F-93F6-A1B174864256.jpeg

Holy S&$&@€#^#

For perspective the deck hand in orange bib is “Big Country”. Prob 6’5” that middle BFT is a little taller then him.

Massive up close. Now we getting another wave of adrenaline.

We waiting in line. All the passengers are buzzing with excitement. Little windy. A little cold. Seafood tacos and chowder from Mitch’s hits the spot!!!

Landing tells us captains wants us to have sabiki’s ready.

They processing fish on board. Think it was company charter and they wanted to divvy up there. So unfortunately we waiting on that....
While watching them work Capt Adam throws one of the tuna hearts at me just f’ing around, not knowing I’m on the next boat out. Caught it but figured I’m gonna eat the heart of the one I land so I throw it to the sea lions feasting on the scraps. Group before even left giant tuna collars behind. Deckhand offered it to me and I said I’m going out with you guys so he tosses a 2 foot collar to the sea lions!!!!

Finally after what feels like forever we board. Half my crew grab bunks. Half grab tackle spots and hang out rods.

Boat heads out just a little later then planned but makes a stop near bait barge and we make bait.

...we used cow BFT meat from the carcasses as Sabiki bait. WTF. Most. Expensive. Bait. Ever. People getting doubled and tripled on 6-12”+ Macks. Whole boat is churning away. Prob under an hour we fill the tanks up.

Capt Adam comes out and give us our debrief.
They found some crazy schools with big biomass.
Says school was almost the size of the bay.
Killed it on the kite some fly lining and lures.
They didn’t have nearly the Mack numbers or size so he’s super psyched.
Gear up. 80# should be lightest.
Can’t wait to get back out on that school.
Warns us it’s gonna be choppy.
Flat falls at dawn. Flyline and kite after.

Everyone gearing up. Crimping and tying.
Have to say deckhands were some of the most professional I’ve been with. Always willing to help. Friendly. Never talked down to you. Never got frustrated. Worked thru tangles with a smile. Answered all your silly questions. Cool dudes. Big country. Frank. One guy I forgot his name but you could see future captain written on his forehead. And an older salty dude. (Every boat needs one)

Also captain made it very clear that they treat the tuna right. Spike, gill gut ASAP. Head gaffs only. I cringe every time I see videos of gaffs going in the belly and loins on other boats. That really also sold me on the NLA.

Turn in for the night. Feeling a bit queezy despite the patch behind my ear. Rough choppy water.

Lay out of the boat is different then what I’m used to. Small galley (purposely to have more room to fish) the heads are at the bow. A lot of dudes got wet going to head with the choppy water splashing over the bow. But like everyone says it’s spotless. Deckhands scrubbing boat all the time.

Set my alarm for 430am. And pass out....

Wake up and we still moving...way too bright outside to be dawn. Get out on the deck and a lot of dudes just milling around. Pretty quiet. Very choppy. Pretty much the story is no fish on sonar. Well let me rephrase no cows on sonar. Seeing some small medium fish. But I think Capt looking for that school of cows he saw just 12 hours ago.

Stopped on some schools no love. Kite no love.
It was starting to look bleak. Couple bites but lost pretty fast.

Breakfast burritos. Burgers for lunch. A lot of naps and sitting....choppy water not helping. Every stop medium fish would come around to the boat and then scatter.

Tried everything. We literally probably drove over every square meter behind the island. Kite was up fresh flying and yummy. One came back missing it’s tail...

Other boats were calling in that it was slow for them as well. One boat said it got a 90# on the kite. But nothing else.

At one point I asked Big Country if I could troll my flyers and with a chuckle he said prob not a good idea. Captain was really in a sour mood cuz he couldn’t get us on fish. Definitely not for a lack of trying. Watching him use a power drill on the reel into pull in the kite was pretty cool.

Captain came on the speaker and even told the passengers to grab a beer on him.

Starts to get dark....setting in we getting skunked. Amazing how you can go from an epic high to so low.

C95460DA-A3D3-405B-B9AD-8A3772DCDA34.jpeg

But he’s still looking. Binoculars out. Zigging and zagging.

Dinner tritip Swiss chard and home made mashed potatoes.

Stop on a school. Everyone in the water within a minute. I tried a super sinker rig. Big Mack and 2 5oz torpedos rubber banded. Trying get the fish down ASAP. An older guy about 5 rods down gets bit. Flyline sinker rig Mack with what looked like a 8oz torpedo. He reels for about 2 min and tires out and hand off to deck hand (really??? 2 min???). Deck hand is not gonna lose this fish. Capt jumps down to the deck and grabs the pole. He is NOT losing this fish. He is literally running around the boat with the rod. Everyone lifting rods and he is running under everyone like one of those military weddings. Lolol. 5min later. 100# BFT on the deck.
Skunk for the boat is off.

But nothing to report after that.

He said he was gonna keep looking. But about an hour after that when he changed into his flip flops and shot the shit with us a little we knew it was over.

Turned in for the night. Woke up and asked my buddy that was just a nightmare right? We about to start fishing right? But seeing the lights of SD pretty much twisted the knife in my heart.

Deckhands were making some Mack bait waiting for landing to open. I threw out my sabiki and helped the crew. Capt had a deckhand give me a free shirt for my efforts.

Pulled into dock. Ate our emotions at the local Broken Yolk. Drove home and hugged the kids and wife.

Guess that’s fishing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ErnieG

Worst Fisherman
Aug 4, 2011
Vista
www.cafishingnews.com
Name
Ernie Gorham
Boat
11' SportCat Truline
Very well written report man! Sorry it didn't work out.

It is funny how quickly you can go from brimming with optimism to the pits of despair. We've all been there.

Keep trying if ya can. The opportunity we have right now is truly amazing, but it's not like every trip you're gonna catch a cow. If ya did, it wouldn't even be that special!

I hope you get yours soon!

Reactions: Ctony.clark
Upvote 0

125mph

Almost A Member
Dec 16, 2011
SAN DIEGO
Name
Tony
Boat
N/A
That flying fish is interesting.. why is there a plastic thing on its top side? I never seen that part before.

Upvote 0

82SC

Aug 13, 2018
Pasadena
Name
Mark
Boat
Wish
Yeah no reason I’m sure just strips under the wing would have worked. I figured foam on the entire height of the fish might make it more stable.

And thought I might need a decent amount of foam to keep it afloat. And didn’t want fish to flip over to foam on top....

Yeah that’s what I keep telling myself. Not really special if it was so easy. But we’ll get it one way or another.

Upvote 0

ironjoe

professional bad ass
Jan 19, 2010
burbank/ca/usa
Name
joe
Boat
none
Great write up!! Sorry about the lack of catching, but if the new lo an isn’t on the bluefin, there there isn’t any bluefin to be had!

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
Name
Robert
Boat
none
That's fishing. Honestly most often when a trip starts out feeling too good to be true they most often bite me in the ass. On the other hand some of the best most memorable trips I've been on have been nearly weather canceled, started off with a warning that the fishing has been crap before the trip etc. I wonder if that has more to do with my attitude than the trips themselves. You'll get them sooner or later!

Reactions: ErnieG
Upvote 0

82SC

Aug 13, 2018
Pasadena
Name
Mark
Boat
Wish
Yup. It’s an experience and I think we all are gonna have a skunk trip under our belts at some point.

Plus most of my fishing has been Catalina trips for yt. Last year was first LR trip for tuna. How spoiled would I be getting a cow on my 2nd LR trip.

A 8-9 yo boy was on the trip and was saying how he got a 190# last year. I was think poor him. That’s his standard now. And when these bft leave in a few decades (hahah) It’s all down hill from there.

Yeah. We all came back safe. Had fun hanging with the boys. Away from work for a couple days. That’s fishing.

Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
thanks for the Write up.. That was well written.
Sorry about the almost Skunk ,its BFT-happens often..

Upvote 0

82SC

Aug 13, 2018
Pasadena
Name
Mark
Boat
Wish
LOL don't think the shirt was for the skunking

Most of the dudes had all their gear packed up and pretty sad and standing around.

I figured I might as well fish for something instead of standing around.
so was the only paying passenger helping make bait for the next trip out....

I thought that was a really nice gesture.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention was captain also made it very clear that they treat the tuna right. spike, gill gut ASAP. Head gaffs only. I cringe everytime I see videos of gaffs going in the belly and loins on other boats. That really also sold me on the NLA. I'll def give them another shot, but will prob fish another boat first.

Upvote 0

Exodus

• Jun 20, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Damon's 26' Shamrock..."Solito"
    Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report. You have great attitude and you will get them next time!
    :cheers:

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    I felt like I was there.
    This has happened so many times.
    I stopped reading fish and weather reports getting all fucking worked up prior to my depart = less grief.
    Good on you for not bitching, even a little bit.

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
    May 18, 2013
    Cali
    Name
    Dan Monster
    Boat
    Predatormonster
    Paying dues takes about 10 or 20 trips out there so don't whine too much . Expect not to catch one when you leave the dock , those are your odds . Especially on a charter boat sharing the kite .

Upvote 0

chatt

Chasing fish
    May 8, 2012
    Lompoc, Pt. Arguello Ca.
    Name
    chatt
    Boat
    Radon 21
    Great report, u described my life for 4 years.I kept after it, one trip I got too see them, the next trip I witnessed one being caught and then the magic happened. Fishing on the Outer Limits BOOM in one evening and then in the morning I had 4 fish. One 200plus all the rest between 100-80 lbs.IT WILL HAPPEN!!! Don’t give up. Great stuff.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0

82SC

Aug 13, 2018
    Pasadena
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Wish
    Yeah didn’t even hit the bait barge. Capt said bait sucked and small.

No whining. Just reporting. I definitely don’t think I’ve put in the rail time for the tuna gods to grant me a cow.

Humbling experience. Gotta take it on the chin and get out there again. Gotta have a short memory.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0