PENN

aventuSD

Oct 2, 2015
San diego
Name
aventus
Boat
Center console
Inspired by the latest episode of local knowledge showcasing San Diego Tuna, had to go out on the hunt despite a little rain in the forecast.

Left the ramp around 5. Got a scoop of some big healthy dines from EB. weather was tough in the morning especially in a small center console. Got beat up but no rain. headed towards 182. Saw tons of bait and birds, looked like a bunch of seiners too. checked some empty paddies. saw a boat charge some working birds and pick off a small tuna before they went down.

Decided to burn some gas and change it up headed south/Southwest towards 302. Somewhere around 32.25 117.33 we started a drift on a Paddy that was a couple hundred yards away from another good sized paddy with some divers working it. After a long drift we got 4 Skippy's and a YTF.

tried to go back for a second drift but another group of divers was on the other paddy now. some time goes by and both boats of divers leave. we go back up to the original paddy and start chumming it up for a long soaks. Didnt mark a whole hell of alot but within 20-30 minutes it went WFO.

Tuna boiling around the boat and hitting every single bait we threw in withing 30 seconds to a minute. These fish had absolutely no fear hitting baits a few feet off the stern. Me and my buddy were constantly hooked up and fighting/gaffing fish for 2 hours straight. Easy limits and these were nicer grade 20-30lb fish possibly a couple bigger too. They bit everything even straight 20-40lb mono after I lost a couple fluro leaders. These fish pulled, a couple circle hooks started bending and I'm not talking light wire. was using mustad demon 2/0 and Nautilus 1s. Everything was caught on bait and the dines were horses! only lost 10-15 dines all day and it was rough.

best part was after we hit limits for the first time ever on my boat, I called out the numbers. Never got the opportunity to do that before... One boat a defiance slid in after we were leaving and I saw at least 2 possibly 3 rods instantly bent! Best feeling in the world! Me and my buddy were cheering for them.

This was the best trip I've had this year and the best tuna trip I've had in my life! I dont catch enough fish to usually post lol. Go get em!

20190928_142926.jpg 20190928_144504.jpg 20190928_144447.jpg 20190928_205508.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scubasmith

scubasmith
Jul 21, 2004
OC
Name
Tim
Boat
25ft sea ray...TopShot
Your patience definitely paid off on this trip! Glad you're able to call out after your limits and share your great Fortune with another Angler. Attaboy

Reactions: Geo-Fish
Upvote 0

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
Killer post! Congrats. Way to stick around and get it goin then put the wood to em...they got what they deserved!! Lol...words of a frustrated skipper. Glad someone got em and this late on a snotty day. It's not so late in season but feels like fall. Hope they stick around

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Usually after divers hit the water the bite shuts down.
Waiting it out was a gamble that definitely paid off

Upvote 0

Geo-Fish

Almost A Member
Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
Well done and thanks for the report! You guys are braver and tougher than me.....

Persistence and courage to battle the sea....Looks and sounds like you won.

Nice report too

Upvote 0

aventuSD

Oct 2, 2015
San diego
Name
aventus
Boat
Center console
Usually after divers hit the water the bite shuts down.
Waiting it out was a gamble that definitely paid off

Definitely, usually seeing multiple divers is game over. I don't think they shot any fish though. maybe that helped?

it was the most structure we had seen all day and we were hoping that even if the fish scattered or went deep they would return.

Always tempting to leave and find another paddy but sometimes the "next" paddy doesn't come until you're on the way home a couple miles off SD lol

Upvote 0