BabyGiant

Get bit
Jan 3, 2005
Irvine
Name
Mark
Boat
24' Robalo, REEL TROUBLE
Best Marlin fishing ever today! None stop action all day...Insane. Put my friend on his first ever and also a first for my boat. This area is hot. Get out there.

IMAG1330.jpg

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Coolio!

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Good job and great pic! Thanks for the report!
When you grab a marlin's bill, turn your hand over the other way, if something sudden should happen the natural tendency would be to pull the bill towards you holding it the way you are in the pic; turning your hand over makes the bill always point off to your side and thus easier to push it away or deflect the spear from your body. One of the first things you are taught as a leader man, things can happen pretty fast!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Good job and great pic! Thanks for the report!
When you grab a marlin's bill, turn your hand over the other way, if something sudden should happen the natural tendency would be to pull the bill towards you holding it the way you are in the pic; turning your hand over makes the bill always point off to your side and thus easier to push it away or deflect the spear from your body. One of the first things you are taught as a leader man, things can happen pretty fast!
I just learned something,good info.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
What Jeff said..... palms facing down when grabbing the bill of a marlin is best.

A little confused by the thumb comment though?? maybe I just misunderstood? One thumb yes and one thumb no.

One last thing.....lots of jig fish right now so keep this in mind.

I know of a crewman who lost an eye when leadering a fish due to the jig tagging him in the eyeball. IMO when leadering a jig fish, always wear some good glasses.

Congrats on the release!

The unknown fisherman:p:

Last edited:
Reactions: rile-b-fishn
Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
As long as your thumb is pointing towards the fishes mouth your palms are down and your hands will be in the correct position, unless you have your palms up and you are trying to scoop the bill from below which often spells DISASTER!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
As long as your thumb is pointing towards the fishes mouth your palms are down and your hands will be in the correct position,

If you you have a double hand grab on the bill and have both "palms" down, there will always be one thumb pointing at the fishes mouth as well as one thumb pointing away from the fishes mouth........ unless that is, your hands are built differently than most LOL ;)

Double hand grab..... thumbs point towards each other :)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Buddyb

Capt. Crabapple
Aug 25, 2005
Tustin
Name
Buddy
Boat
14' Evenrude "Polished Turd"
Way to go Mark. Awesome pic. We got the first Yt on the PT yesterday.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Great picture too! This season (has been) is epic!

Upvote 0