PENN

SuperPutt

• Aug 12, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    BLAKE PUTTKAMMER
    Boat
    Little Marange
    The TLDR: Hit the water early out of Mission Bay with some micro Deens (I thought they were pretty decent but have read everyone saying they were crap). Got to the fishing grounds just about sunrise, water was 68 ish with low wind and decent swells rolling through. Starting rock fishing and had trouble getting the immediate bite we normally do. Saw a whale and shark. Moved to the kelp for some Irons and live bait fishing and had some chasers on the irons but very little luck actually landing anything (they were liking blue/white irons more than anything else we threw at them). Went out a little deeper and got some fun sized Bonita on the troller of all things. Back to rock fishing for a few more small tacos. Back to the docks around 6 PM. 5 Rock Fish, 4 Bonita and threw everything else back.

Full Story: Went out this weekend with my roommates and one of their girlfriends (one of the roommates first time back fishing in 5 years). We hit the water at about 4:45 AM in mission bay and headed to the bait receiver. Of course, we watched a larger unnamed boat go out right before my buddy got back from parking the car so we got to wait one back from them at the bait receiver. We were second in line of about 8 boats for about a 15-20 min wait. Headed out of the bay in the pitch black and it looked pretty daunting seeing the swells roll in.
    Get out of the bay and to about PB area when it starts to brighten up just enough to speed up from a crawl. Not 5 mins after we speed up, we hit something pretty heavy, for a second, I thought it was a seal but turns out it was just a big ball of kelp (we think). Cleaned off the prop and headed further west to avoid hitting anymore kelp. Got to the fishing grounds around sunrise and dropped our lines for some rock fishing (goal was to catch easy fun fish with the crew). After some slight adjustment I got a pretty decent sized one and everyone got excited. All the while, my buddy was messing with his brand new Accurate which turns out was a lemon (every time there was pressure on the line it would reduce the drag to zero so that sucked – but they’re working with him on it). After a few rock fish and photo ops we start to consider going to the kelp for Barracuda, Calicos and ideally YT.

Suddenly, we hear a huge spraying noise and look behind us, not 50 yards away we see a good-sized humpback whale just cruising along. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a photo or video but we are all talking about it as were driving towards the kelp and suddenly, again to my surprise, we see a fin in the water. Some asks “Is that a shark?”. Sure enough a big shark was just hanging out with us no more than 4 miles off shore. We chased it for a bit and tried to get some go-pro footage but unfortunately, we couldn’t get anything clear. For kicks my buddy tossed a sardine at it but it turns out they aren’t interested in them, at one point I was even chumming him to see if we could get some action. Not sure what kind of shark it was but the fin was pretty massive to me.

After that excitement we went over to the kelp beds and tried to drum up some more active fish for the guests. My buddy and I threw irons while his girlfriend and our roommate ran live bait. Not much luck at all after about an hour of this. All we got were chasers and we tried all different colors and sized irons.

We decided to go a little deeper and see if we could find something else. Threw the trolling rod out just for kicks and figured it made sense to have a line in the water since we weren’t booking it. We got hit on the toller for the first time ever on Little Marange. Naturally we went ladies first and my buddy’s girlfriend landed a nice little Bonita that put up a good fight for her. Couldn’t get anything to the boat so we planned to head back to the kelp. I noticed everyone was asleep so I said screw it and throw the troller back in. After everyone got a nice 10-20 min nap, they got to wake up to the clicker going off. We let me roommate who hasn’t been in a while take this one. The 6-8# Bonita put him through the ringer so that was fun to watch.

After the commotion, we headed back to try and get some more rock fish. Came up with another couple and rock fish to round out the day.

Headed back to the dock and go in around 6 pm for a long day.

IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0114.PNG

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Good lookin' bone there.

Did you collect $12 from your passengers for the whale watching?

Upvote 0

djd35de

• Jul 18, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    18.5 Boston whaler
    The TLDR: Hit the water early out of Mission Bay with some micro Deens (I thought they were pretty decent but have read everyone saying they were crap). Got to the fishing grounds just about sunrise, water was 68 ish with low wind and decent swells rolling through. Starting rock fishing and had trouble getting the immediate bite we normally do. Saw a whale and shark. Moved to the kelp for some Irons and live bait fishing and had some chasers on the irons but very little luck actually landing anything (they were liking blue/white irons more than anything else we threw at them). Went out a little deeper and got some fun sized Bonita on the troller of all things. Back to rock fishing for a few more small tacos. Back to the docks around 6 PM. 5 Rock Fish, 4 Bonita and threw everything else back.

Full Story: Went out this weekend with my roommates and one of their girlfriends (one of the roommates first time back fishing in 5 years). We hit the water at about 4:45 AM in mission bay and headed to the bait receiver. Of course, we watched a larger unnamed boat go out right before my buddy got back from parking the car so we got to wait one back from them at the bait receiver. We were second in line of about 8 boats for about a 15-20 min wait. Headed out of the bay in the pitch black and it looked pretty daunting seeing the swells roll in.
    Get out of the bay and to about PB area when it starts to brighten up just enough to speed up from a crawl. Not 5 mins after we speed up, we hit something pretty heavy, for a second, I thought it was a seal but turns out it was just a big ball of kelp (we think). Cleaned off the prop and headed further west to avoid hitting anymore kelp. Got to the fishing grounds around sunrise and dropped our lines for some rock fishing (goal was to catch easy fun fish with the crew). After some slight adjustment I got a pretty decent sized one and everyone got excited. All the while, my buddy was messing with his brand new Accurate which turns out was a lemon (every time there was pressure on the line it would reduce the drag to zero so that sucked – but they’re working with him on it). After a few rock fish and photo ops we start to consider going to the kelp for Barracuda, Calicos and ideally YT.

Suddenly, we hear a huge spraying noise and look behind us, not 50 yards away we see a good-sized humpback whale just cruising along. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a photo or video but we are all talking about it as were driving towards the kelp and suddenly, again to my surprise, we see a fin in the water. Some asks “Is that a shark?”. Sure enough a big shark was just hanging out with us no more than 4 miles off shore. We chased it for a bit and tried to get some go-pro footage but unfortunately, we couldn’t get anything clear. For kicks my buddy tossed a sardine at it but it turns out they aren’t interested in them, at one point I was even chumming him to see if we could get some action. Not sure what kind of shark it was but the fin was pretty massive to me.

After that excitement we went over to the kelp beds and tried to drum up some more active fish for the guests. My buddy and I threw irons while his girlfriend and our roommate ran live bait. Not much luck at all after about an hour of this. All we got were chasers and we tried all different colors and sized irons.

We decided to go a little deeper and see if we could find something else. Threw the trolling rod out just for kicks and figured it made sense to have a line in the water since we weren’t booking it. We got hit on the toller for the first time ever on Little Marange. Naturally we went ladies first and my buddy’s girlfriend landed a nice little Bonita that put up a good fight for her. Couldn’t get anything to the boat so we planned to head back to the kelp. I noticed everyone was asleep so I said screw it and throw the troller back in. After everyone got a nice 10-20 min nap, they got to wake up to the clicker going off. We let me roommate who hasn’t been in a while take this one. The 6-8# Bonita put him through the ringer so that was fun to watch.

After the commotion, we headed back to try and get some more rock fish. Came up with another couple and rock fish to round out the day.

Headed back to the dock and go in around 6 pm for a long day.

View attachment 1206275View attachment 1206276View attachment 1206277View attachment 1206278View attachment 1206279
    Water looks flat, cool pics.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I think BD awards points or something for including pic of GFs. Leading with that one probably puts you in good stead. Looks like lots of fun for your pals and you on the water. Funky dorsal looks like great white.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

• Haha
    Reactions: SuperPutt