NukeDawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Name
dub-dub-dub
Boat
17' Arima Sea Angler
Spent the day trying like everyone else for yellows and bonito. Slow day overall, water mostly 67.5. Tried north to the glider port, lots of kelp but no other signs of life. No bonito, no yellows. Scratched a calico and a rock fish...

And this shark. Can anyone tell me what kind of shark this is? What's the best way to release these things?

IMG_5855.jpg IMG_5854.jpg IMG_5856.jpg

arik lerner

Aug 29, 2009
san diego ca usa
Name
arik
Boat
topcat 42 thermadine
Mako several reasons they are the only ones to hit a Rapala , point nose stout form , blue color and pec fins then jaw line with teeth pointed back
should have bounced him cut the head off and gut it ice it people and tweekers spent many days looking for those

Reactions: One_Leg

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
I usually cup them with my hand and then carefully without hurting thum', gently reverse the barbed hook and give him a fresh breath of air and release um in a safe environment without any danger or threat nearby.

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
Jun 23, 2009
sou cal
Name
Frank
Boat
Kayak
That's a good reason to make a 10 foot or longer long gaff pole with a heavy duty hook releaser on the end and keep it on your boat...so you can run it down the line to the hook...submerge the head so it doesnt throw that lure into your face and let it shake itself off underwater. Im sure they're delicious even when they are that small but you want to give that thing a chance to grow and eat at least a few furbags before grilling it. Nice that the op did released it.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS

Low N Slow

Senior Chief
Sep 4, 2016
Temecula
Name
Shawn
Boat
Sold - so I make a great ho now
I got one like that on the 16th. Blue sardine rapala. Came unhooked next to the boat, just as I got his head out of the water. He was a baby though, at about 3 feet, and I didn't want to keep him.

Last edited:
Reactions: fisherman11

mandoman68

Big Loco
Mar 3, 2008
Aztlan
Name
Mandoman
Boat
Kathleen
Mako several reasons they are the only ones to hit a Rapala , point nose stout form , blue color and pec fins then jaw line with teeth pointed back
should have bounced him cut the head off and gut it ice it people and tweekers spent many days looking for those
They are NOT the only ones to hit a RAPALA.

Reactions: fishsmith and plj46

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
It sure looked tasty. Glad you let it go

rhamilton210

Adventurous sort
Mar 20, 2006
Poway
Name
Ron
Boat
18 Glastron, BBLU
We've been seeing lots of sharks about that size around the "second bouy" off the cove while swimming. We're not sure what kind they are but there's lots of them inside the reserve.

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Definitely not a Mako. Yiu can tell by the big black eyes, narrow pointed snout and razor like teeth sticking up out and in. Possibly a whale, basking, lemon, nurse, sand, dog tooth, salmon, tiger, megamouth or white....but def not Mako.

Reactions: brice

Team Ball's Out

Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Spent the day trying like everyone else for yellows and bonito. Slow day overall, water mostly 67.5. Tried north to the glider port, lots of kelp but no other signs of life. No bonito, no yellows. Scratched a calico and a rock fish...

And this shark. Can anyone tell me what kind of shark this is? What's the best way to release these things?

View attachment 870600 View attachment 870601 View attachment 870602
It's a nice Mako. You can tell by the teeth looks like they need braces! One word of advice. Keep the boat in gear at a slow idle! very important! This way it keeps the shark swimming with the boat. In the pictures you posted all it has to do it flick it's tail and it will be on you in less than a second! They only have 2 things on their mind getting free and getting a hunk of your ass! They will do their best to do both! You can use a release stick or just cut the leader as the hook will rust out over time.

Reactions: SaltH20Angler