PENN

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
Launch from Dana point Friday afternoon went to the southern end of the island and drifted the kite until dark then drifted flat falls and giant squid overnight for no action.
Also we didn’t really mark a whole lot.
The next morning started looking towards the west finally saw a few meter marks put the kite back out drifted for a couple hours for no action.
Decided to leave the kite out and slow troll further towards the west and ran into a few more meter marks and then started zigging and zagging back-and-forth.
Driver was asleep at the wheel so I was driving the boat via auto pilot and fishing the Kite with Andrew. I came out to back out of the cabin with my binoculars to check the bait and the Kate was down on the water! I had set the clip too tight so it didn’t release from the fish and the fish was not really tight so for a while I wasn’t 100% sure I was hooked up. I still kept cranking the rod and woke up the captain and told him to drive faster to help get the slack out. When Andrew had the kite about halfway back to the boat the line got tight and the fish took off and I knew we had a good one on. He was able to unclip the kite from my rod and I harnessed up
Half hour later

7090DB05-E74E-4FAF-B15A-3FCC44465D87.jpeg

Upvote 0

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
We immediately got another flying fish ready and put it out as soon as possible. I decided that we’d do a big loop and try to troll the bird back through the area where we got bit and we’d also seen a couple other meter marks in the area .
As we went the meter marks increased and I said well maybe we’re not going to troll back to where we hooked up because it seems like there’s a lot more fish right here....
64A442A0-068A-468A-94DB-BE9E5B02B3E8.jpeg

Upvote 0

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
nevada city, ca
Name
dave
Boat
north river
So after seeing a good quarter mile to half mile section with a lot of thick meter marks I decided to stop and drift again so we didn’t drive the bait off of the fish.
Our drift took us on a slightly different direction then we had trolled over so I was afraid we weren’t going to get the bird over the fish we’d metered but as we drifted slightly south of our original path there was even more meter marks and in 20 minutes or so we noticed the kite rod started to vibrate I looked up and saw the Kite plummeting to the water at a rapid pace.....
Hooooked up!!!!!!

FB9E7F43-8C01-4FA3-916C-A9E6FEF1EB33.jpeg

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Thanks for the report and for all the valuable intel. Gonna give a try this Saturday. If we do half as good as you, I'll be happy.

:worship:

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Driver was asleep at the wheel so I was driving the boat via auto pilot and fishing the Kite with Andrew. I came out to back out of the cabin with my binoculars to check the bait and the Kate was down on the water! I had set the clip too tight so it didn’t release from the fish and the fish was not really tight so for a while I wasn’t 100% sure I was hooked up. I still kept cranking the rod and woke up the captain and told him to drive faster to help get the slack out.

Took over for the "driver" who was asleep. Woke the "Captain" and told him to drive faster.

At least "Andrew and Yourself" had your shit together.

Sounds like it was time for a mutiny.

Reactions: Rabid Fish
    Upvote 0

heatsource

Mar 28, 2018
    nevada city, ca
    Name
    dave
    Boat
    north river
    Took over for the "driver" who was asleep. Woke the "Captain" told him to drive faster.

At least "Andrew and Yourself" had you shit together.

Did you get a "rain check" for another trip?
    Rain check?
    Boat owner is the “captain” but expects me to be the captain the whole time we’re out there because I’ve got a lot of experience...he does drive the boat sometimes though. He got wicked seasick the night before and was sleeping it off the next day in the drivers seat when we hooked up the first time.
    As a team we managed to have our shit together enough to get two bites and land two cows

Upvote 0

CD21

Almost A Member
    Oct 7, 2014
    SD
    Name
    CD21
    Boat
    none
    Captain "seasick" lmao...Surprised you didn't rip the kite off in the water when you throttled up. Excellent work on putting nice fish in the boat!

Upvote 0