Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
C2522CCA-1B00-436A-9AB0-1A2A8B1120ED.jpeg
20B7A44C-1BCF-4E7D-8D05-16916F68B30C.jpeg
9B570B05-3C2E-4EC4-B9F9-D7A8A82F9277.jpeg
B9E15A9C-1FEB-4A12-9F4A-3F01879C724B.jpeg
F386F21C-F143-4533-BE64-A12724970B4E.jpeg
Been teaching my 21 year old about Private Boat Offshore Fishing. So when he asked me last night, “where are we going?” I told him, it was up to him to decide.....That he was the Skipper of this trip!

Launched SI Boat ramp at 4:00am. There was only one boat already getting bait at the Bait Barge so that was a good sign.

We’re getting to know “the kid” at the BB. He opened up a new pen and asked my son to help him Crowd the bait (my son had never helped before, so he was stoked (hell, I was jealous, I’ve never crowded bait before...). We asked him how long it was cured and he said, “6 Days” we knew we were getting “good bait.” We were planning to get a scoop, 3/4 in the tank and 1/4 in the bucket. Let me just say OMG! That was the best scoop of my 34 year offshore experience. My son was buying the bait. I didn’t realize he gave him $60. We always tip $5 so a scoop is a $50 spot......As we pulled away, we were both thinking we got a lot of bait......I was impressed as the Skipper of my voyage said, I gave him an “extra tip.” So, I just assumed when he said “keep the change,” he handed him a $50........I was stoked that my son, recognized we were “well taken care of,” and gave him a $15 tip. I’m thinking, “Damn, my boy is growing up!”

We rounded PL a little before 4:30am, to my surprise, he said he was OK to drive out. This was the first time that’s ever happened. He usually sleeps on the way out.....Another something different about this trip.....We usually get burritos on every trip......This trip I picked up from Sprouts a couple “Chicken Pesto Sandwiches on Ciabatta.” So before my nap, we downed a half a sandwich. Both of us agreed how good this tasted and both of us mentioned we were “burned out on Burritos.”

I couldn’t sleep last night. And the chance to sleep on the way out was welcomed. Ironically, my son gets too “jacked up” and doesn’t sleep before a trip.....last night while getting the boat ready for the trip, my son’s legs got attacked by mosquitoes. So he took two Benedryl and got 5 hours of sleep......Good for me.

I wasn’t sure where we were going as I went to sleep in the Cuddy.....When I awoke in gray-light we were stopped on the 302 and he already was dropping a “flat-fall.” He said we were metering fish...... so I dropped a flylined Dine in the water.....We couldn’t get a bite so by sunrise we started to troll. He told me to tie on a Red/Pink Feather. He said, “I don’t care if we catch Skippies, I wanna catch fish.” So I tied on two.

So without telling me or telling me why, he was following a temperature break. It wasn’t until we were heading for home did I realize we headed SE from the 302......

We saw the “Old Glory.” Trolled by at a distance. Then within sight of the “Intrepid,” our starboard outside troller goes off.......boom skunk off as he bounced a 15lb Yellowfin. As I reeled in the trollers, I threw a lot of whole and chunk sardines. Bendo, his bait stick goes off. #2......then he sees a boil and casts out his “Coltsniper” on his “Pinhead” with a “500 Tranx.” I’m thinking , “Dang....that kid is on fire.” He lands #3 YFT.

So, I’m getting “a clinic” on Yellowfin Catching. All of the sudden he’s got 5 on ice!!!!!! I farm 2 bites and I haven’t landed a fish yet......He exclaims, “I GOT MY LIMIT!” I’m feeling like I just got my ass kicked by my son.......

Finally, my bait stick goes off. I get a small measure of my “manhood/fatherhood” back. Finally, I get my “Mojo Back.” I get some points on the board.......Now it’s 5-3......

We’re on 8 fish. We call out out the numbers twice.....Boom.....I’m hooked up.... nice, #9......Then BAM we’ve got a “double,”....#10......He’s on the Starboard rail, bent.....I’m on the Port rail......I kind of with a smart ass tone say loudly, “does that mean I have to gaff my own fish?” I gaff #9, pop his gills and drop him headfirst in a HD bucket 1/2 filled....

Up to this point, we have zero pictures and zero video, so while I’m waiting to gaff his fish, I’m filming with my IPhone in my left hand......My son, of course says “don’t drop your IPhone.” I get some footage and because I’m trying not to lose my phone in one hand and gaff with the other....I make a horrendous “gutt-gaff” in the belly.....Boom-chaka-lakka, we have limits for 2......We look at the time.....10:11am as we count the haul making sure we only have 10......

So, in summary. I got a beatdown.

Final score:

21 year old- 6
54 year old- 4

1 on a Jig-stop - Red/Pink feather
1 on a Colt Sniper
8 on bait

#2 Owner Mutu Circle Hooks
All bait rods had either #15 or #20 Seaguar Fluoro leaders
All bait were nose-hooked

The numbers: 22/30
Water temp: 72.1
Bait: Awesome

We decided not to try for Skippies or Yellowtail and headed for home......

A very awesome Parker Skipper(with limits) was blasting over the radio 22/30 too.....As we left the area it looked like 20 Private Boaters made it there at high speed. And about 4 Sporties.....

We entered The Shelter Island Boat Ramp at 11:57am! Oh, and yes....He drove the boat in! Home by 12:45pm!

My son was retelling the story to his Mama.....All I could say was “I was only a Deckhand on this trip.” And that he outfished me 6-4....and at one point it was 5-0.....My wife asks, “aren’t you proud of your boy?” Humbled, I say, “I don’t want his head to get too big.” .....a 30 second pause.....and I say, “yeah, I’m proud of him.”

I decided to write this recap (sorry for the novel) because I am proud of my boy. I told him on the way in that he could take the boat out without me.....He gave me the short list of only 2 friends he would ever consider and the reasons why.....I also was inspired to write this because after looking where 22/30 is I had to ask......”Why did you decide to troll SE of the 302? His reply, “I was following the temperature break.” I asked, “did you follow your gut?” He said, “Yup!”

At that I immediately told him how proud I was and how impressed I was of him.......

So sorry for the long read but......I’M PROUD OF MY SON! So I wrote this to let YOU know how proud of him I am.....

Tight Lines all!

Last edited:

dorado50

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
I would call that a "perfect day" on the water.....:)

Reactions: Geo-Fish

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Nice report, nice story! Congradts! Hopefully he cleaned fish while you did the boat/gear. Nice to have someone related to fish with!

stangclassic66

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Awesome report and writeup! I love that rod your boy is using! My all time favorite.

tom cindric

Tom-broke-off
Jun 17, 2015
Lake elsinore
Name
all she's got
Boat
22 key largo / 2670 Glacier Bay
Great report. Remindes me of my son and i. Same age deference.... It just happened a few years earlier and we are still doing the same thing now. Memories forever!!!!

bcause

Jul 14, 2015
Name
Bob Causey
Boat
X
Yeah I know the feeling my boy (23) has schooled me a couple of times in the last couple years, we go back and forth. I’m really proud of him, I respect his opinion on the bite and techniques. Way better than just big fish for me.

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
I'm digging the Kencor!
Yeah. I bought that Kencor for him when he was 9....12 years later and it still kicks ass. We bring it on every trip because it’s our “lucky rod.” It’s only 4’9” but it can handle the fish. The all fiber glass bends 180. Only issue is it’s shortness when the fish dive under the boat or in that instance around the outboard. I like that picture because he handled that situation great. Helps to have long arms.....

I’d love to get more....

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
Yeah I know the feeling my boy (23) has schooled me a couple of times in the last couple years, we go back and forth. I’m really proud of him, I respect his opinion on the bite and techniques. Way better than just big fish for me.
I actually have 3 sons. I also have a 23 and a 26.......It took our third son to find a fishing buddy!

I told him last year when we repowered it, the last engine lasted 22 years......This engine, if we take care of it should be around another 22 years when I’m long gone, and you’ll probably get the boat, since you’re the only son that fishes.

He runs in the house excitedly and tells my wife, “Mom, when dad dies, I’m gonna get the boat!”

Easy tiger, I’m not dead yet!

LOL

Last edited:

shooter21

Aug 30, 2014
Bakersfield
Name
Shane
Boat
Someday
I had 2 Pangas but sold them like a dumbass, great to see you still fishing yours!

skinny jimmy

Feb 21, 2007
san diego
Name
jimmy
Boat
21.5 Triump
Geo, That was such an awesome read.
I'm right there with you, to see your young man take the helm is a step with him becoming a man on the water and a contributor to our community l. You've raised him well.
I stand in awe to see see our youth develop into fine fishermen as we pass on our wisdom.
You gotta be so proud of him.
I've watch me 16 year old progress with the responsibilities of the boat, taking it off and on the trailer.
Post wash down and prep prior to launch.
Hell, he changed the thermostat and oil.
Good job bringing him up properly, on and off the water!

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
We brought 120 lbs of ice. In the two fish holds and the brand new Reliable Kill Bag. Our intention was to put the fish in the 20x60 Bag......Oops! Only 6 fit in the bag.....So 4 went back in the Fish Hold.

We’re gonna need a Bigger Bag! Especially for a monster Cow if/when we catch one.....

zam

May 2, 2018
San Diego
Name
Tree
Boat
iWish
thanks for the report and the story!!! right on man glad you got em with the kid!! awesome!