Offshore 9/20 on the point loma

PENN
Nov 23, 2014
Name
Adam
Boat
24' skipjack
Finally had the chance to fish. My normal fishing buddy was complaining because he was to tired from the work week to fish on my boat. I let him know that's cool it's probably hard fishing on a boat when your on the rag anyways. So checked out some post on bd about boat trips going out found a private charter on the Point Loma. 16 guys on a 30 person max boat sounds like a good time to me and I won't have to drive or clean my own boat. Get to the landing about 5am (parking sucks over there!) met the group a bunch of cool guys most family so I knew there would be no drama. Hopped on the boat,quick talk, of to the bait dock we went. The line was crazy! Guess sporties have a front if the line pass because we did not have to wait. Deck hands started passing scoops I looked and only giant macks!! The deck hands even looked disappointed. Told my self just stay positive, captian said yesterday they found the magic patty and it went wide open and the limited out on there second stop. He said if you threw a hook out alone they would of took it. So I feel good about this day!! Get our scoops and we are off. Captian says we heading to the same place he was yesterday. We get to the islands I'm thinking we are here, nope we keep on motoring passing up kelp after kelp. But he's the captain so I have a breakfast burittio (really good one!) check all my gear again, 1 deck hand is chunking up the huge macks, 2 are up top scouting for pattys. Water is looking and feeling fishy. Spot a few pattys we stop I figure I let them fish the chunks another guy and I stay up front fishing flat falls and snippers. Nothing the first few stops than finally some one hooks up a bull dodo. Skunks off. Nothing after that. Most of the guys on the boat were first or second timers, crazy thing there was no tangles and everyone was listening to the deck hands on what to do. The guy up front and I are picking up baby yellows fun little fishing all being released. A few dodo here and there. I start to realize it's getting late and I have not kept anything yet so I catch a 4lb yellow and tell him sorry buddy I'm keeping you I can't go home to the wife with no fish. By this time it's about 1 and we only have 6 dodos and some little yellows. Bummer indeed but that's fishing. Some of the guys were getting bummed but I just told them that's why they call it fishing.... Captain says were about 50 miles out. I'm thinking that's a long boat ride home!!! Captain says he will stay out all night until we find some fish. That's a captain. I would of called it along time ago. Next stop captain says pull in the trollers and we will hit this patty as there being reeled in BAM its hit. Reel it in and its a yellow fin!!!!!!! We all do the happy dance start chumming and I head to the front start dropping the flat fall I'm hit instantly!!! Every one strats getting hit they were everywhere!! Flat fall was working chunks were working the colt snipper was the definet winner the chef was using it in every drop was getting hit. He was handing them all off and coaching guys how to bring them in. Good stuff!! I ended up farming 2 landing 2 I was more than happy with that. I told all the guys that you can have a bad fishing day but if you catch some fish at the end it makes it all worth it. We fished that spot for about an hour and we called it. Smiles all around and everyone was laughing and hugging there fish. It was Definetly a looooonnnng boat ride home. Back to the dock around 7:30pm. That's a long 3/4 day trip. Captain definetly went the extra mile to get us some fish. Charter that boat if you have a chance it's priced good and the captain Definetly went all out.
Now for the apologies. I hardly take pictures and sorry to the English teachers out there that I did not use paragraphs.

image.jpg

Upvote 0

ror_sal

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
Nov 6, 2011
San Diego
Name
Rory
Boat
fish and chicks
Good report. That's a good captain. Seems I run into more people these days in the fishing industry who don't seem like they like there jobs very much. Good to see that there are some good guys out there still. Way to whack em. What size YF did you guys get into?

Reactions: tunajuan
Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2014
Name
Adam
Boat
24' skipjack
They yellow fin were all around 15 lbs. all the people that were eatting it tonight did not mind that bloodline at all. (Still new to cutting up my own fish) I'll make sure to watch that better next time.

Upvote 0