Offshore 9/20/20 Tuna Haul on Mission Belle

Fishbox

Feb 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
Kyle
Boat
Ranger 250cc
Hopped on a private charter on the Mission Belle 9/20. They have been targeting bottom fish at the islands lately but that's not what we were interested in. The powers decided to try offshore for tuna and we drove right past those islands toward the 425. Hit a BFT shortly after the troll went in at 9AM, then stopped on another three shortly after that. Kept dragging south for nada until the crew metered fish around the upper hidden at noon and it was all on YFT for the next two hours. Wide open like we used to see! Not a lot of experienced anglers aboard but that didn't matter as the bite was relentless and the crew did an amazing job of getting everyone hooked up for everything they wanted or could pull in. Fish were between 15-35 pounds, so not beasts but still a ton of fun! Smaller hooks seemed to work better.......didn't want larger than 1's.

I think the crew had more fun than we did, since it's been a while since they have seen a day like that.
Mission Belle- Sept. 20 2021.jpg

warichio

Jul 23, 2014
Name
Michael Warren-Angelucci
Boat
jet ski
Crazy what a day makes, 0 fish for all the day boats yesterday.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Did the tuna go in those sacks? Hopefully they have a RWS- did not see it listed for this boat. Great job getting them, thanks for the report!

Fishbox
    Fishbox
    Yes, they have a system. The bite was so fast and steady we could only thrown them in the RWS when the deckhands were free. Tough doing the over/under dance when you're tripping on tuna! Even the cook came out and helped during the frenzy.....she's a champ!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0