Fat Guy

Almost A Member
Jul 7, 2011
San Clemente
Name
KG
Boat
none
Another quality day of fishing from Dana Point on Tuesday 9/16!

Father in law is super pumped on fishing and has been a regular companion for boat trips and Baja journeys for the last 10 years. He really loves everything about fishing and seems to have just as much fun on the great catching days as he does on the boat ride days. The little boat is a bit of a challenge for a 70 year old, but he was up to it, so off we went.

My main fishing buddy this year has been my 4 year old son. In my last report, I mentioned being bummed that school was starting again and that I was gonna lose my fishing partner. Shame on me, but I took him out of school to go with Dad and Grandpa.

We were at the DP bait barge at 7 for an excellent scoop of strong Dines and off we went. We've had some bad timing with bait lately on weekdays and I was super confident seeing the great swimmers we had. After reading the reports here and on Fishdope, we pretty much straightlined it for the 277. The further we went, the water just got warmer and more blue/purple. We read 77 degree water at some places.

We stopped on a few patties on the way out for quick soaks, but we were on a mission to get out there in case the wind kicked up. About 5 short of the 277, we found a patty with no boats around and started the long soak and chum. We had 3 lines in the water way back, 2 of which were in rod holders in freespool with the clicker on. I saw a couple big splashes way out where I knew our baits were and told Grandpa to be ready. At that very second, all three get bit. The clickers were screaming and little man was tripping! We all have a tuna on and it's pretty much mayhem. I set little man's drag pretty loose otherwise there's a good chance of Talica in the water. I worked my fish pretty fast, stuck him and then helped the other two. Little man got back about 2 feet of line over then next 15 minutes and was pooped. As he handed it back to me, it came unbuttoned, no biggie. Grandpa fought his and we gaffed it after a 20 minute fight.

We went for another drift for nada and kept going. Got to the 277 and picked another fish up off a patty and then the wind starting acting like it was gonna kick up, so we started for the barn.

Halfway to the 267, we come across the biggest patty I've seen all season. First drift and I get picked up close to the patty by a very nice YFT. I had one in the water for little man and he is on also for a medium YT. We both fight and land our fish in about 15 minutes and go back for another drift. He's super stoked as the 8lb YT is about the perfect size for him to actually land one. On the next drift, Grandpa and I both get picked up pretty quick and it quickly becomes apparent the Grandpa has a nice one going. My fish takes me about 15 minutes, and Grandpa is still losing line. 30 minutes in, he needs a break and hands it off to me for a breather. I put a little work into it and hand it back pretty quick. After a total of about an hour, a solid 35lb YFT joins us on the boat and Modelo's were shared by the adults!

We were pretty far off the patty by this time and I wasn't paying much attention to the incoming traffic, but by the time I was ready to head back up the line, there were 4 sportboats on it including the Dana Pride, Patriot, Freelance and a couple I didn't recognize. We decided to clean fish and head in.

Final count: 6 YFT 15-35lb, 1 8lb YT, 13 gallons of fuel, 3 big ole smiles!

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
You should use the pic of your 35 pound YFT as your avatar . That's pretty big compared to most the tuna that has been caught . Show us that one !

Reactions: PUDDLER
Upvote 0

Knock'nEmDead

Almost A Member
Aug 3, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Scott
Boat
17' Scout; Das Boot
Awesome! My boy just turned 4 (on 9/11) and I've been, so bad, wanting to get him out there this season, but not sure he is quite coordinated enough to keep his balance on my little 17'CC in the ocean! Probably another year of catching the spotties in the bay for him, but can't wait for the day to have him pull on a Tuna or a Tail! Good job on getting the little man out there! Cheers!

Reactions: Riff Raff 527
Upvote 0

loreto1234

LOBO
May 8, 2007
Oceanside
Name
Lobo
Boat
None
Taking the little one out of school to spend a priceless day on the water with his Dad and Grandpa is what life is all about. Three generations pulling on fish at the same time in your boat is a very special moment. There are some experiences in life that present a very small window. I think you you just captured that moment for all three of you to remember for the rest of your life. Congrats!!

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Gotta love it!

Upvote 0

GoGo4

state raised
Oct 16, 2011
south of northern ca.
Name
Uncle Mike
Boat
Hydra-Sports 2000WA
that's awesome, had my son out two weeks ago for his first yellowtail he still cant stop talking about it, much respect for the Dads and Grand Dads.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Your buddy looks happy and tired, both good feelings after a day of catching fish. Missing a day of school is a bonus.
Congrats to all 3 of you.

Upvote 0

PHISHINFUL

Wishin' I was fishin'
Jun 7, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA.
Name
CHRIS
Boat
SOLD IT
I know how that feels. Excellent job. You're son has done something now that few kids (and adults) that he meets will ever do, unfortunately. Some day he will realize just how special this day was. Congrats on a fine day and good luck topping it! Don't let it stop you from trying though.

Reactions: Fat Guy
Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
Aug 16, 2012
los angeles
Name
flyhigh123
Boat
Parker 2320
congrats!

so for Private boaters, if you see a kelp and it doesn't have fish on it, sometimes you give it a long soak in case schooling tuna stop by? How long of a soak are you willing to give? Just learning.

Also, i'm assuming with a longer soak, you are nose hooking?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Fat Guy

Almost A Member
Jul 7, 2011
San Clemente
Name
KG
Boat
none
What kind of boat are you on?
Harbor Boat Rentals 20ft panga. I joined their boat club this year and it's been a super great experience. Most of the benefits of owning your own boat without any of the headaches. I had my own boat for a lot of years before the little guy. Mommy shut that down before his arrival because it was like a semi full time job. This, so far, has been the best of both worlds. Super stoked on the club and experience.

Reactions: mmechelin
Upvote 0

Fat Guy

Almost A Member
Jul 7, 2011
San Clemente
Name
KG
Boat
none
congrats!

so for Private boaters, if you see a kelp and it doesn't have fish on it, sometimes you give it a long soak in case schooling tuna stop by? How long of a soak are you willing to give? Just learning.

Also, i'm assuming with a longer soak, you are nose hooking?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if they are just stopping by or using the kelp as some sort of homebase. We've caught tuna this summer using the long soak on the kelp technique and heavy chumming around birds technique. Both have been pretty effective. Struck out plenty of times with those same techniques though.

Upvote 0

Stink Bert

Jul 6, 2014
Name
Rich B
Boat
Floater with a motor
Good job getting Little Man out there. Some good old family bonding, cranking on a reel with dad and grandpa is better than any day at pre-school. They grow up too fast to pass up times like this!

Upvote 0

FatBoy4130

Jun 7, 2012
RSM O.C
Name
B Wolfe
Boat
FATBOY
Hey Fat Guy it's FatBoy

1st,
Thankyou for slowing down way out and being very polite and asking to fish the paddy we were soaking !! Too bad we didn't all hook up there but it was fun fishing out there next to someone with manors...

2nd..
You made a very wise decision to head back in as less then 30 minutes after we split ways the seas turned from flat to 6 foot looking swells just a few miles out in the direction you came from !! First time since last winter I had to throttle up a swell and throttle down the backside..

And last but not least Congrats on the Catch that will forever be remembered by the Little Man ..I can only wish to I have my youngest "5" on a tuna plunker bite !!!! We did alright but not as good as you guys

Upvote 0

Nikki J

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Todd
Boat
26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
That is BITCHEN!!! Love to see the kids pulling on fish. Way to go! I was out there too. Looked like the bite at the 277 was an early one. We passed on a lot of paddys thinking we'd find our own. Unfortunately we didn't. After the wind came up we joined 3 other boats for 4yft and a bunch of skippys. Sorry, it was tough out there yesterday. Good call to split. It got nasty for a 20' panga.
Tight lines!
NJ clear.

Upvote 0