9/15 Tuna run that turned into a rescue operation

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by cgregerson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME

Same thing with the guy who took mine.. the mechanics at the dealer told me he was there when they started the motors and he started dancing around saying “cha Ching cha Ching.... boys that’s the sound of money”..... it didn’t work out for him...

MikeKilo likes this.
  2. Paddler13

Paddler13 Newbie

Name:
    Jon Middleton
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Sea Runner 200
    So, it may have not been a cracked hull. Maybe a through hull? I'd really like to know what happened to cause this incident, and I'm sure others would as well. Maybe knowing will help others avoid a similar fate.

3. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    I was wondering if maybe a high speed pick up thru hull broke or hose came un done allowing water to stream in. On my boat the high speed pick up will fill the bait tank 3/4 full running around at about 10 mph without the bait pump even turned on. I gotta check that out more. It would fill the boat up faster than my bilge pump could pump out, provided the pump is in good working order:

4. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Rick,

Who has the boat now, the guy that recovered it or someone else?

Another question. do you have any idea how the boat was located so far from where it went down?

I am under the impression you were SW of Westport 35 miles or so when you had problems, is that correct? If not, what was your approximate location?

WD.

5. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    The guy that recovered it name is Luke Gardner. His boat is the Quauntum Leap. The boat is in storage until my insurance company can come look at it. The guy said he wanted salvage and $30,000 for getting the boat. He told everyone that he was a fisherman headed back in and found it. He’s a salvage guy. The boat in the picture from the beach is far from a fishing boat. Not to mention a fishing boat wouldn’t waste the time dragging it up to the beach, pumping it out and up righting it, they would be fishing. I’m sure he’s trying to make a quick buck

6. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:

7. bdrlgion

bdrlgion Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    "Mulligan"
    Boat:
    18' Tiderunner Runabout
    sounds like a standup guy:
    http://www.thebristolbaytimes.com/article/1327who_done_it
    "On June 26, Luke Gardner, 40, of Naselle, Wash., was cited by Bristol Bay Wildlife Troopers for commercial fishing closed water while fishing with his drift gill net off of the F/V Quantum Leap on July 18, 2012, in the Egegik District of Bristol Bay. Arraignment is scheduled in Naknek District Court on July 11, 2013."

Team Tom, bigdood and RCollins like this.
  8. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:

I’m not sure what his profession is, but a fisher man would hook on if he thought he would make more money than fishing.... think about this..... how many tuna would he have to catch to make $30k plus the salvaged vessel? The guy who hooked onto my boat was a tuna fisherman who thought he hit a goldmine.... he wanted $40k for towing my boat in....

You will be your best advocate in this situation.... the insurance company does not care about you boat beyond a quick survey to deem it a total.... the trailer is yours and not part of the salvage... you may have to push them on the fact that he had no authority to hook onto your vessel, so moving forward to talk about compensation is moot...

If he says it was a hazard, dispute that.... lots of floating debris out there it doesn’t create an emergency, he could have contacted the Coast Guard and they could have in turn contacted you. There was not emergency requiring him to hook up to your vessel without authorization..... Or that is the position I would assert if I were you....

If he would have contacted the Coast Guard and they in turn contacted you, you could have had your insurance company send Sea Tow and they would have recovered the vessel.... He illegally took possession of your vessel and illiminated your ability to get a tow company......

You cannot simply hook up to a vessel unless the criteria is met.... just be persistent and push back....

samohr likes this.
  9. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    The ever present scammer on the scene to add insult to injury...

Genie Aye, Elkfins, bigdood and 2 others like this.
  10. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  11. Dave's Delta

Dave's Delta "No, we're not catching"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Looking for a Delta

I can certainly see no problem with this thing drifting from where it went down at 35 miles S.W of Westport to Pt. Grenville over the course of 3-4 days.

Genie Aye likes this.
  12. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    I felt a bit the same way.... I floated in the water with 4 other guys for 1 hour 10 minutes until Helicopter rescue..... couple days later a get a call from Coast Guard with a guy at my boat.... I call him kind of excited thinking he was a fisherman and wanted to be cool.... he said “do you want me to tow the boat in?” I clarified “are you offering to tow my boat in?”...... his reply “I’m not doing it for free”...... insurance was involved, so I did not have that authority..... When he talked with the insurance it went down hill from there.... He was a total douche bag! Not all fisherman stick together and are there to lend a hand...

Remember the important things! You are all alive and it sounds like it was pretty easy thatks to having a buddy boat in the area.... I was 30 miles out and all alone.... no time..... and in the water.... It was not your time!

This guy is trying to make a buck and probably figures he is not hurting you he can fight it out with the insurance company..... don’t let his guy fire you up... it’s simple... he took your boat in tow without your authorization and without an emergent situation, so he took it illegally, he is not entitled to fees.... buy the salvage back from your insurance company and salvage what you can...

Go buy another better boat and enjoy it!

Elkfins likes this.
  13. Lgardner

Lgardner Newbie

Name:
    Luke Gardner
    Boat:
    F/V Quantum Leap

14. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    57999252-F569-42B4-A8CF-9F9B3DD0F098.jpeg

Well there you go, it was an eminent danger because a guy on Bloodydecks said so!! This could get interesting.

4EEEADEA-B1CF-4D2B-A60C-570F17CA058D.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  15. WaveDancer

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Let your insurance deal with it and if Pete sent you any good suggestions, pay very close attention to them, he knows his shit, BIGTIME.

Back to a main thing a lot of us want to know;

WHAT THE HELL CAUSED THE MASSIVE WATER INTRUSION?

Also, where you under way or fishing when you first noticed your issue.

WD.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  16. Lgardner

Lgardner Newbie

Name:
    Luke Gardner
    Boat:
    F/V Quantum Leap
    Well now isn't that interesting how close to the mark you came... I (full--on comie) was clipping along at about 30 knots and did indeed nearly smash into this vessel capsized and adrift on the open ocean. Thinking it was a small piece of drift wood I steered clear, but on my way by did indeed recognize the vshape, turned back to investigate only to find this very boat upside down -stearn down with just a small portion of its bow keel above the water. My crew and I did indeed right the vessel and bail it out and proceeded to tow it to Westport Washington.
    It sounds quite a simple act when the entire salvage is condensed to one concise sentence- but make no mistake righting and clearing this vessel of water was no easy task. Salvaging the vessel was a considerable amount of effort that was - well- quite obviously beyond the capacity for others.
    Just thought this blog should have some closure, as to what became of the capsized vessel.
    salvage at westport.jpg

oldschool 1 and wils like this.
  17. WaveDancer

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Thanks for chiming in Luke.

I am curious, based on what you just posted above, were and how did the boat end up on the beach at Point Grenville as that is not mentioned once in what you posted?

No mention of the boat being on the beach as part of your recovery effort just leaves kind of a question mark still in my head if you know what I mean.

Thanks for posting the picture as well.

WD.

18. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    I would guess the beach was used to right the boat and drain it, no way to do that in open water without airbags and salvage booms, but that’s just my guess. The boat F/V Quantum Leap isn’t a cat, but is a fast triple jet monohull built to fish shallow water in Bristol Bay, from what I could find, which is why it can be so shallow. Looks like a hell of a cool boat, very efficient for what it does!

2670B200-33CB-437A-A2BE-90B1888A71D9.png E5023FD2-3D79-447A-946F-F5785E0BD48E.png

oldschool 1 likes this.
  19. Lgardner

Lgardner Newbie

Name:
    Luke Gardner
    Boat:
    F/V Quantum Leap

20. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    At what point did you notify the Coast Guard? At what point did you attempt to contact the owner of the vessel?

Elkfins likes this.