9/15 Tuna run that turned into a rescue operation

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by cgregerson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Well, that is not consistent with what Luke has stated within this thread.... When floated it continued to take on water and list, so they put two guys in the boat to bail it on the way to Westport.... He was not sure where or why, but it continued to take on water even though he had poked rags in every orifice he could find as a potential leak point...

Not arguing with you, but stating information Luke previously posted on this site...

As for accounts of people that know Luke, read through this thread and honestly look objectively at his contradictory posts. Seriously, who come upon a capsized vessel and doesn’t contact the USCG? He was so worried that someone might be trapped inside that he called a knowledgeable friend in salvage, he didn’t know if there were dead people inside until they kayaked up during the receding tide, yet he had no obligation to do anything...... He quietly and secretly beached the vessel and until the tribal police came on seen and Called the Coast Guard it was kept secret.... the list could go on.....

So While I think its great that you found some local people who think he’s an honest dude the actions and story played out seem contrary to me and many others....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. Paddler13

Paddler13 Newbie

Name:
    Jon Middleton
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Sea Runner 200
    I don't think most boats without self-bailing decks come with washdown pumps, and it seems that owners of these boats are pretty careful about keeping water out of the boat. I know of one exception, however. There was a guy over on ifish several years ago who installed a washdown pump in his boat that didn't have self-bailing decks. He went out tuna fishing and washed his deck, I guess repeatedly. He was surprised when he had a bunch of water in the stern, and apparently things got a bit dicey. Hard to believe that anybody would intentionally pump water into his boat and rely solely on a bilge pump to keep his boat afloat.

I think that self-bailing decks in small boats like ours rarely function as a safety feature, it doesn't look like they were helpful in this instance. It appears the main benefit of self-bailing decks in our recreational boats is allowing the use of washdown pumps to clear the decks of tuna carnage.

3. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Well that’s one opinion for sure. I do not share this opinion and the discussion on here as well as Ifish has happened many times. Lots of boats without self bailing decks have wash down pumps. Hey my buddies Willie guide boat has a wash down pump. In fact the discussions I remember is what type of pump to have since the blood, fishing line and other things can end up in the bilge and cause issues. Additionally some people have fish boxes that drain into the bilge as well and the same conversations have occurred.

Lots of guys intentionally pump water into their boats and rely on a bilge pump... believe it or not....

Not everybody is a tuna fisherman, so I completely disagree with your speculation that boats like ours don’t have self bailing decks as a safety feature..... anytime you can take storm water from rough seas, rainwater, washdown pump, or any moisture from that standpoint and redirect with gravity and Mother Nature it is a safety feature...

Back many years ago when I had a 22’ aluminum boat and have been in rough seas and seen a lot of spray and water over the windshield where my bilge pump had to run a lot, if it would have hit a deck and drained by gravity it would have been a lot safer...

FVSerenity likes this.
  4. KeyserSoza

KeyserSoza Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    2352 Trophy
    First stating what I just got from a phone call Period, it wasn't from Luke but from my friend who talked to him. Things get lost with talking to someone that talks to someone. I called because I was getting really curious. Lots of unbiased bashing going on so I wanted to try to hear it from someone else.
    Second, maybe he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, maybe not, 3 separate people that know him vouched for him so I am erroring on the side of caution on this one.
    Third, why doesn't the owner have the boat or access to it? Seems to me possession would be unlawful so the owner could take it.
    Last, the insurance claims guy will let us know. Maybe it was a freak valve thing, maybe its a crack in the transom that doesn't show without stress, maybe it was something else those of us here are guessing and really do not know. We will all find out when the insurance claims guy looks at it. I will do my best to get a report. I want to see a pic that would have caused the sinking.

5. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Gotcha.... I was just seeing another detail that didn’t match what was previously stated about it floating on the way to Westport. As I stated, not arguing with you just saying is was inconsistent.

As for possession of the boat and the lawfulness...... I went through the same exact scenario. It is my understanding that Rick (the owner) does have access to the boat as well. It is sitting on his trailer and the insurance company found and agreeable solution of putting it on Ricks trailer in a local storage facility until things are sorted out.

The owner is being patient and working with it through the insurance. I am pretty sure if the owner really wanted to take it he could raise hell and take the boat back right now. I had to call the USCG Marine Safety Division and the Oregon State Police and once I was able to get proper information The Oregon state police got involved and helped me pick up my boat. They advised the Salvor that legally he could not hold someone elses property without a court order. If he wants claims to the vessel he must got to federal court and file documents to “seize the vessel” under the laws.

As of this moment unless Luke has gone to court and secured legal claims to the boat there is one and only one owner on the Washington State title and that is Rick. It is not like on land where a mechanics lien can be placed for a tow company or repair shop. Mechanics liens fall under land law and it is assumed you authorized the work/tow. Even if you are towed from a random parking lot as long as there are posted signs that your car will be towed, you authorized it by parking in that lot.

I feel the insurance company, Rick and Luke are making a mistake by allowing that boat to set there. Those motors were submerged in saltwater. The boat should have been immediately taken to a dealer to pickle the motors, so they could potentially be saved. Just setting with saltwater in them almost assures that the value is going out the window. The auction value for the insurance company, or salvage for the owner or Luke is being lost.... My insurance company said they are required to mitigate loss until they have a final settlement and pickling the motors is part of mitigating loss. Maybe his insurance company is not a well versed marine insurer.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    WaveDancer likes this.
  6. Dave's Delta

Dave's Delta "No, we're not catching"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Looking for a Delta
    Drugs, alcohol, and a prostitute are sorely needed for this guy.

wils and Deviant like this.
  7. bducky

bducky Member

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    20 ft duckworth
    Really insightful reply. I've gotten so much valuable insight from you concerning the subject matter. Continue, please . We are all waiting with anticipation for your next one. Bob

fintimidator, Odin7 and G-Spot like this.
  8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I got nothing..........................................o_O Oh wait, actually I do. Don’t feed the bears.

The Peddler likes this.
  9. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    As for those of you asking. I pulled the plug at the ramp after pulling it out of the water. I am going down tomorrow and hope to have an answer to all of you as to why it went down. Believe me I’m just as ancious as all of you

10. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Wow, if we could put this kind of time/passion into solving our fisheries, we'd all have limits by 8am. You go you "CSI geniuses" and "I'm right, fuck the rest of you clowns".

A boat takes on water, a long way from shore. They luckily have a buddy boat close to help....It sinks, and Thank God no one injured or passed. Roll, up on a capsized boat, call Coast Guard.....

End of story, a good ending, compared to what could have happened.

Odin7, Dave's Delta, Deviant and 4 others like this.
  11. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
    Yeah but what did that boat know about hillary clinton?

12. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    It wouldn't of been recovered if it knew anything about the hill-monster.:D

13. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Concur
    I’ve had three different aluminum boats from 20-22 feet and they all had washdowns.. serenity has dual bilge pumps as well.

I think self bailing decks, done correctly, are definitely a good thing!

G-Spot likes this.
  14. liltrouble

liltrouble Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Shari
    Boat:
    Mr. Buttercup
    Hi Rick, I am so glad you're safe. As well as the rest of your crew.

Was the boat transported back from Westport yesterday? I was going down to pick up my boat for the winter, and saw a trophy on a trailer heading East on the highway that had no house on it. I was just wondering if that was your boat. Just seeing that sent shivers down my spine and a prayer to my lips. Again glad you are safe. This is been a good thread for me, and now I need to figure out where I'm going to mount my life raft on my boat.

I have I've had the unfortunate occasion to help with body searches for lost boaters. It is horrible. I can honestly state, but when I am traveling in my boat, Everyone is always on the lookout for crab pots and debris. I have seen life jackets on the water, and called the Coast Guard. I have seen unmanned dinghy's on the water and called the Coast Guard. I have seen pieces of boat, and I called the Coast Guard. I see something that doesn't seem right, and I call the Coast Guard. If a boat is having a problem at sea, i will head to that area and stand by in case help is needed. That is what safe and responsible boaters do - - if there is something that could be related to a casualty or risk involving a human being, the first thing you do is call the Coast Guard and report it.

easydoesit86, kallitype, LJB and 3 others like this.
  15. liltrouble

liltrouble Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Shari
    Boat:
    Mr. Buttercup
    I have an aluminum boat with neoprene flap scuppers. I carry screw in plumbing plugs the size is the scuppers. I do that because i had an oaf think something was in blocking one of the scups. Rather than telling me he thought something was wrong, he reached down and tried to pull "the debris in the boat" to clear the scupper. When he couldn't clear it, he took a knife and "cut the kelp that was blocking the hole". I carry the plugs for that purpose or if a scupper flap were to fail. I now have half a dozen spare flaps in the boat "spares" drawers (Yes, multiple drawers on the boat for spares!) The scuppers are well above the water line but you get 3 people in the same corner getting a halibut in the boat and scupper doesn't function, dainty toes may get damp!

Btw, there are two types of people in regards to the boat crew: the invited and the DISINVITED.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    Green Ogre and FVSerenity like this.
  16. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    Funny:)

I had someone that was new to downriggers that managed to cut the end of my finger off but lifting the downrigger up and the dropping it.

I taped it back on and finished the fishing day.

liltrouble likes this.
  17. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    Yes I brought it home Saturday

18. dragonballs

dragonballs I'm off probation

Name:
    Vance
    Boat:
    40' ocean sport fisher
    wow I saw you on sat, just leaving the masco fuel station by englunds new store.

Boat looks rough... glad you are able to be towing it home.

19. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    Simply not true.

20. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Did the insurance guys already inspect and report back before transport?????