9/15 Tuna run that turned into a rescue operation

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by cgregerson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    It’s best to have a self bailing.
    yep

2. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I heard this was a repower and can’t help but wonder if that contributed? Either by changing the way the boat sits in the water or torque on the transom?

I have not heard a decisive statement on the precise cause of the flooding? We all saw the boat roll but that was because of the severe list and waves coming over the side.

Was it truly a cracked transom? Failed scuppers? Was it picking up water as it ran and then realized when it started to loose power and stopped to see what’s up? If one engine quit why did it quit? Or was it just a loss in perceived power as the stern got heavy?

3. eldplanko

eldplanko got the skunk off

Name:
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat:
    Floater
    Dumb question... or maybe not. Did salvage dude remove the plug?

4. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    If they are really above the waterline at all, still does look ?

5. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    It looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck.....Just re-read all the damn posts, if your BS radar didn't go off there is something wrong with your gut.....

G-Spot, willit float and RCollins like this.
  6. FVSerenity

FVSerenity Captain

Name:
    Rod
    Boat:
    22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
    I like self bailing! It makes cleaning out all that tuna blood a lot easier!!

7. sgwill122

sgwill122 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Stephen
    Boat:
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I have no problem with the salvage guys trying to get the maximum reward for their efforts. Salvage laws were written to provide significant incentives to captains to immediately undertake removal of navigational hazards and prevent environmental damage. These guys deserve to be paid which will be worked out with the insurance company and owner. It is silly to debate how much of an environmental impact or how much of a hazard it could have been.

The huge issue is not calling the CG immediately. I hope the captains actually knew it was the boat that sunk the prior week and were just figuring out their salvage plan before calling the CG. Otherwise there is no way they could have known when the boat capsized, if there were survivors floating miles away, if there was a search underway or if anyone knew the boat had capsized. We all know it takes a minute to contact the coast guard and there were multiple captains on the boat that knew their way around a VHF. We all make mistakes and I hope the mistake these guys made was trying to spin the story differently.

Blackfish and Team Tom like this.
  8. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    IMO with rigging like that everything is suspect. Maybe it was a Crack that delivered the coup d' grace but to rig a scupper like that or to allow it to remain that way begs the question as to what else was missed or neglected.

There's nothing wrong with putting a couple new 250s on the back of that boat.

G-Spot likes this.
  9. mike archer

mike archer Newbie

Name:
    mike archer
    Boat:
    no name yey
    I’ve been reading all this bickering going back and forth about the salvage guy but no where have I seen where the owner of the boat was making any attempt at recovering his boat. Now if somebody was unlucky enough to hit his boat would he be liable for the damage caused by him leaving his garbage to float around.

blowncar and wils like this.
  10. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    The Coast Guard made an attempt and when they went there they told him that there was an odd shaped long narrow oil slick where the boat should have been so they said maybe it had sunk.....

Bottom line for him there was nothing to recover as far as he knew... He explained that up above in all of this bickering.... In hind sight he even had suspicions that someone may have even towed it away from the original site because of the strangely long narrow oil slick as if moving at a higher rate of speed than the drift....

As for liability if someone hit it.... I don’t think so... good, bad, right or wrong the ocean has all kinds of things floating and it is an assumed risk of mariners....

I’ve found 10-14” glass floats while cruising 25 knots, I dodge crab pot bouys, and logs, I think I would see the floating vessel... In the dark... a whole nother story, but traveling at lower speed in the dark and should have lights, so you can see crab pots, logs, and perhaps a turtled boat.... it was soon to be onshore regardless...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    WaveDancer and RCollins like this.
  11. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    Came factory with twin outboards
    It’s pretty obvious they knew all about the boat. They were trying to recover it and make it disappear without anyone knowing. If they would’ve handled the recovery the right way I would probably feel a lot different about it and done what I could to help them but instead they got shady about it. I’m sure they took pictures of everything that would benefit them I’m sure things grew legs and walked off though I have no proof. Some people’s standards aren’t as high as others. It could’ve gone real simple but instead turned into a shit storm that leads you to question people’s integrity. Like I said before 4 captains and none of them knew to call the CG. Hmmm sounds like BS to me. Most people would back down and let these guys get away with it. I said it once already. I have no problem with the job they do. Do it the right way and be ethical. Trust me I want this behind me but I have a feeling it might be a while before all parties have satisfaction with the ou
    Well when we left the boat was sinking out of sight. The CG flew over the spot a couple hrs later and told me there was no sign of the boat just a 50x500’ oil slick. They also told me that if it got in a under water current it could take it a long way. It stormed that weekend and if it was under water it could of got tossed around enough to get a air pocket. I did make an attempt. Lashing on to it with the boat that picked us up could’ve been bad if it pulled that boat down too. We had 9 guys on a 6 man boat to get home with. I lost my electronics but did contact the CG right away

WaveDancer and G-Spot like this.
  12. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    It wasn’t over max power.

13. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    Never

G-Spot likes this.
  14. RCollins

RCollins Member

Name:
    Rick Collins
    Boat:
    I can’t say never. When they realized the Tribal police was there and there was no other choice

15. Paddler13

Paddler13 Newbie

Name:
    Jon Middleton
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Sea Runner 200
    All power boats come with a Max HP rating, but I've not seen any that have a max transom weight. I wonder if the boat in question had one?

16. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Seriously, your looking in the wrong place... this has been asked and answered numerous times... as far as the outboards and the cracked transom..... not specifically the weight limit by the manufacturer, but the actual motors he installed weighed less than the original motors and did not exceed the manufacturer rating...

IT DID NOT HAVE A CRACKED TRANSOM! Repower and motor weight were not the issue... Look closely at the photos posted by Patrick of underneath the engine bracket and along the transom (where the scuppers are).... there is absolutely no sign of any fracture, crack or water intrusion.....also look at the photo of the top along the transom.... zero cracks...

As speculated above it was likely a combination of things in a choppy ocean that allowed a lot of water under the floor with a failing or not working bilge pump, maybe there is a failed through hull. The immediate failure of all electronics and the sponge floor the owner described was probably because it already had a floor full of water. The electronics shorted out immediately and one engine died.... probably the only thing keeping it afloat so long was forward motion, as soon as he stopped it was too late...

It was definitely not the repower, excessive horse power, or motor weight.....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  17. KeyserSoza

KeyserSoza Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    2352 Trophy
    Kind of curious about the whole water coming on board thing. How did it take on the water to the extent that your pumps could not keep up without a hole in the hull? It is a self-bailing hull.

This seems odd to me but then again shit does happen.

18. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    What if upon discovery ? All I saw was a photo of a beat up boat with the top torn off beached.

19. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    Bump: Did I miss anything on the initial discovery photos-video at sea of the boat being found, attempts to right side, drain, tow to beach ?
    I’ve tried to follow the thread but may have missed a link or photos.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  20. Dave's Delta

Dave's Delta "No, we're not catching"

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Looking for a Delta
    Too bad. The guy that actually has the boat and could possibly answer all of this speculation and give more definite answers that would help everybody was run off by a Weekend Warrior that can’t tell a fiberglass boat from a wooden boat.

And now he knows why the boat took on water.