9/15 Tuna run that turned into a rescue operation

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by cgregerson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    John and Kerry,

Welcome to BD. I appreciate that both of you piped in and gave your two cents.

I think you guys did good work to salvage the boat and clean up a potential hazard.

A few of us will bust chops for sport, and some are much better than others at it. Don’t take the bait. You did what you knew was right.

I’m back to trolling for SALMON!

Todd Blanchard likes this.
  2. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Damn - All this insurance talk reminds me when I got screwed by insurance.
    Time-frame.....1991, had a sweet 1981 RX-7, some ass-holes took a screw-driver to my lock and jacked my (almost brand new) Pioneer CD player. Then to rub salt in the wound, they took all my change in the change cup. They were mostly quarters too!!!!! I don't fuck around with the small stuff..

Fuckin insurance told me some BS about a "deductible"..HAHA...really..I'm not stupid....that's just some made up mumbo-jombo. It's all good though, one of my buddies jacked a better one for me, then in a drunken rage we tipped over a vending machine and scored about 100 bucks in quarters..haha, I had the last laugh...fuck insurance..

I WISH

Elkfins and Corey G like this.
  3. WaveDancer

WaveDancer Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Prowling for a Cat
    Thanks for chiming in Todd.

The one question that I have not seen a clear answer to was why wasn't the US Coast Guard contacted the minute the boat was found?

I can guarantee you one thing if I came across a capsized boat while off shore or even near the beach that didn't have some kind of marking, location equipment attached to it, once I made a quick lap looking for survivors, I would be hailing the USCG and asking for further instructions and I am pretty sure the vast majority of boat owners, captains I know would do the same.

If 911 works, I would give them the details as well.

Bottom line, everyone is safe and sound on dry land and that is the best part of this ordeal IMO.

WD.

Tim Turis, KeyserSoza and G-Spot like this.
  4. Todd Blanchard

Todd Blanchard Newbie

Name:
    Todd Blanchard
    Boat:
    Todd Blanchard
    I suppose the simple answer is that we were unaware if there was anyone onboard, so the plan was to deal with that first since we were the only ones on scene, and deal with everything else later.
    Much the same as if someone were breaking into my house, my first action won’t be to call 911, but rather deal with the situation at first and call later.
    I would hope that if it were me trapped inside a boat and someone found it floating that they would not wait for instruction to do something.
    Right or wrong, that is what we did.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. Walker Inc.

Walker Inc. I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
    Luke/Todd-
    Simple question. After you righted and floated the boat, what did you do to prevent water from entering, where was it coming in at?

TonyG, Dave's Delta and G-Spot like this.
  6. Todd Blanchard

Todd Blanchard Newbie

Name:
    Todd Blanchard
    Boat:
    Todd Blanchard
    After it was righted, we immediately put it on the beach so that it would go dry with the tide, at that point we bailed all the water out. We used some towel material shoved in a few potential leak spots. It wasn’t apparent at first where it was getting in from......a few hours into the tow from the beach to Westport the boat developed a port side list, we put 2 men on the boat to bail it out again, they said it looked like it was mostly coming in from a crack in the transom that was pretty hard to see below the outboard bracket. They continued bailing water out until we reached Westport.

Grady226 and Dave's Delta like this.
  7. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    We saw the boat photographs and video the owner posted of the boat going over along with the beached boat and on the trailer photos. Any of the salvage at sea, towing, pitch rolls, under tow etc ? I’m curious how that type thing is done at sea.
    Me I’d probably have marked the GPS and jumped on channel 16.
    “Edited”
    “Just saw the reply of the tow from beach to dock”

8. Todd Blanchard

Todd Blanchard Newbie

Name:
    Todd Blanchard
    Boat:
    Todd Blanchard
    onky Took one towing, it’s not letting me post for some reason. Pretty uneventful pic though anyway.

Dave's Delta likes this.
  9. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    You called it in the truck on the way home, took a nasty shit from the swim step - either seems to be appropriate to how this thread has gone!!

10. Paddler13

Paddler13 Newbie

Name:
    Jon Middleton
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Sea Runner 200
    So, it was a crack in the hull near the bracket, not a through hull?

11. Ugly Bayliner

Ugly Bayliner I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve Ericsson
    Boat:
    20' Ugly Bayliner
    From the description of what happened, I would bet it had been taking on water the whole way out. For it to fill up and swamp in minutes there’d be a big ass obvious hole somewhere!

G-Spot likes this.
  12. Walker Inc.

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    I looked over the boat today when I left Westport. I’m no naval architect, but I didn’t see any cracks. None of the sealant was strectched or cracked or missing on either side of the rub strip on the hull, transom, or bracket joints. Usually cracks weep water. The entire transom/bracket area was dry.

I suspect these failed/plugged with debris on top of a failed or plugged bilge pump. Boat would fill with water underway from spray etc. not sure what they drain but these look suspect to me to be a foot under the waterline.

The open kicker rigging hole probably didn’t help with 4 guys in the rear of a boat IF IT WAS LIKE THAT DURING THE TRIP. WATER SLOSHES OVER MY BRACKET ON THE DRIFT AND WOULD ENTER A HOLE LIKE THAT.

pure speculation on my part, but those flappers look sketchy underwater to me. I don’t think any single thing sunk this boat, but rather a combination of a few things compounding on each other.

All pure speculation on my part of course.

Just glad everybody lived, and for the record, I think the “salvage” guy got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Every post is a different back peddling story of ecxcuses from him and his friends!

You see a capsized boat, and know “nothing” of a recent sinking you call the CG while your attempting to be “hero”. That’s on page one of the how to be a captain book.

FDCC539C-CB29-44E9-8645-1E7ACC2BC827.jpeg 5837341E-7367-4C54-B437-97809CFA97BD.jpeg D141241E-F064-46AC-B336-E19BC8023B5A.jpeg

JTC, why knot, Dave's Delta and 6 others like this.
  13. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    Thru Hulls are sneaky problems. I just replaced a thru Hull for the bait tank drain 1.5” ID hole. I was picking up a slight seep on the hose and kept thinking it was the hose or clamp. Took it all apart got new hose pulled the thru Hull and it was cracked all the way around the outside flange. Since it’s center hole is at waterline it would have sank the boat or at least floundered it. Last time out my bilge was dry as a bone.

14. Paddler13

Paddler13 Newbie

Name:
    Jon Middleton
    Boat:
    Hewescraft Sea Runner 200
    The discussion about the salvage is interesting, but my main concern is the root cause of the capsizing.

Ugly Bayliner, plj46 and KeyserSoza like this.
  15. KeyserSoza

KeyserSoza Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    2352 Trophy
    No shit, I really want to know what put her down. I myself have a new boat to me and will be rolling out of Westport next year as well as 72 Square for Halibut. I would really like to know what the hell happened.

16. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Are those scuppers in the 1st and 2nd pictures (4 of them) ?

17. Walker Inc.

Name:
    Patrick Walker
    Boat:
    They are something well below the water line with flappers on the underside of the molded outboard bracket. Not sure what they drain but just seems suspect. Those don’t deal with a single for tree needle in them.

18. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    WTF is that shit? Are those factory? Those plastic flaps are not intended to be submersed. Not sure if that is the culprit but holy shit I had no idea boats are on the water with such rigging.

plj46 and G-Spot like this.
  19. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    Awesome, so at what point did you complete your search pattern to con firm the survivors and/or bodies of the mystery Wreckage weren't floating in open water while you hooked onto this boat?

When did you send a diver down to make sure survivors weren't trapped inside? Or did you, as the first captain said wait until it was on the beach to roll it around a bit first?

These are just a couple of the things I would think the coast Guard might have done had they been notified.

Just sayin but from the outside your timeline does not look good.

Flying Arima and G-Spot like this.
  20. Lgardner

Lgardner Newbie

Name:
    Luke Gardner
    Boat:
    F/V Quantum Leap
    'For the record' patrick walker, I am really sick of being called out in a negative light,
    You read my posts again and you will see that you owe me an apology. I owe you or no one else anything, my story has not changed, nor will it.

The reason you all would call the coast guard first thing is because you would never have the capacity to do anything about it. I get that... and if I chose to leave the scene, I would have given the coast guard a courtesy call so they could respond and deal with it, but instead I decided to deal with it on the spot, on my own accord, and I don't need a monkey on my shoulder watching my every move.

If you haven't noticed I am not big on government assistance, nor did I need any.

I have since reached out to another couple resources and dug a bit myself, and can find no requirement to notify anyone at the time including the owner.

You all go out on the water to spend disposable income, I go out on the water to make my income, how you would react to a hypothetical scenario with your capacity is up to you, and how I react to the same real scenario differently is my prerogative,
    You want to cry and bitch and spout your for the record opinions about what you would have done? well what does that make you?

I phoned a knowledgeable friend before engaging in any activity, and have done nothing wrong.

I suggest you do some reading

https://www.jus.uio.no/lm/imo.salvage.convention.1989/doc.html#8

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ational_Salvage_Convention_1989_An_Assessment

BTW those four scuppers service the self bailing deck drains in the two aft stern corners of the deck.
    also I removed all the kicker controls from that hole in the transom and had a rag jammed in there hard to plug it for tow because the hole was somewhat choked with controls and fuel line, but not sealed by any means, someone has since removed it, the rag is clearly in the photo I posted at the ramp. I have documented every aspect of this venture.

fishinden, wils and Dave's Delta like this.