9-15 on the Mustang- Full day

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by HighWildFree, Sep 16, 2018.

1. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    D2D54D30-057D-4121-924C-0AC10DB662F4.jpeg

Jumped aboard the Mustang out of H&M yesterday. Headed about 30 miles south and met up with the fleet, first few paddies empty, then we get a jig strike trolling past another. Chum in the water and the fish turn on. Skipjack mostly, but nearly just as many YFT. Lots of rental rods meant lots of casualties.

I picked my first Skipjack right away, then my First Yellowfin!!! Stayed with the paddy for the rest of the day.

3B6F1FB2-5D03-476D-B452-6B305E5D221C.jpeg

Most fish caught on live bait, some people did ok on colt snipers. Trick was to get out from the boat. No love on flatfall, or popper.

Conditions got pretty rough, large swell and lots of free chum hitting the water. Nearly had me chumming.

Ended up with 3 yellowfin and 3 skipjack. Lost two fish on pulled hooks. All fish running between 8-15 lbs.

Wanted to add that the crew and captain were very good. Left port an hour late, they were returning from an overnight trip, and we stayed over 2.5 hours extra to make up for it. They also were hook and handing fish to anyone who couldn't get bit.

Overall an awesome day trip.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Sounds like a good time fishing the big boat

HighWildFree likes this.
  3. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section