Troy

Under the Radar
Sep 12, 2005
Bird Rock
Name
Troy
Boat
Pez Loco
Left mission bay 5:30 with awesome dines. Headed to 43 in bumpy water. Picked up a Hen dodo trolled off a whale around 10:30. Hit 10 empty paddies.

11th paddy paid off. Rat yellows and football YFT 25 feet down. Fished that for 90 minutes and headed home with 17 YFT (including one 25lber) and 8-10 yellows for four guys. Caught half the fish on megabaits and crocs. Fun day.

Upvote 0

SCOUT

Skipper
Sep 12, 2003
CORONA
Visit site
Name
Mike
Boat
24 SKIPJACK OPEN
Great job.
How was the weather today?

Left mission bay 5:30 with awesome dines. Headed to 43 in bumpy water. Picked up a Hen dodo trolled off a whale around 10:30. Hit 10 empty paddies.

11th paddy paid off. Rat yellows and football YFT 25 feet down. Fished that for 90 minutes and headed home with 17 YFT (including one 25lber) and 8-10 yellows for four guys. Caught half the fish on megabaits and crocs. Fun day.

Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Curious about the Kroc's...size/weight? I only remember fishing these as a kid on the surface for barracuda and bonita, how'd you all fish them?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Appreciate the report.

Upvote 0

Troy

Under the Radar
Sep 12, 2005
Bird Rock
Name
Troy
Boat
Pez Loco
Weather was great. Seas were bumpy from the start. Wind was up mid day but not crazy. Worked our way west and north and had the wind at our back for the ride home which was nice.

We were fishing the jigs just to have fun with the rat yellows. Caught a YFT deep after letting one fall for awhile before retrieve and then chummed school to us and were catching them high and low while drifting off the paddy. The megabaits were heavier and caught more fish. Croc was better on surface.

Upvote 0

Forplay

Mikey likes it
Oct 19, 2006
40 over 10
Name
MC
Boat
c/s For-Play
I fished the same area Saturday... Lots of empty paddies, and not a lot of other boats. THey would not eat dines, but a half dozen jig strikes resulted in three YFT up 20#.

Upvote 0

PCH

El Nino 2015!!!!!!
Jul 14, 2008
North San Diego
Name
Paul
Boat
Gregor 20
Shit. I m thinking of selling mine. It won't be like this again for a long time and I don't want to get depressed shark fishing next year.

That's pretty cool you can see into the future....

I was thinking the seasons not over yet and who knows whats going to happen next.

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
Nice report, thanks.

It's not over until the fat lady sings... Stay positive and fish!

Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Jig fishing with light gear?!? ALL over it...Good feeling to C & R fish for sport alone. Nice job to bring some for the dinner table. Hate to leave the awesome albie fishing here but it should be better when I fly back from SD after 2 weeks. YFT and Dodo time for me the next 2 weekends!!!:profile:

Upvote 0

slider

May 11, 2004
La Jolla
Name
Ray
Boat
23' Grady White - Fin & Tonic
My son and I were with Troy on this trip. Tons of patties in this area. Draw a line between the 43 and 182 and we were right in between. Mostly Yellowfin footballs so when my son hooked this fish we were giving him a hard time for whining it was tough to reel in. He eventually got it to the boat for gaff. 25lb floro leader, 1 oz slider and a small #2 hook. Used a Carolina Keeper setup using the pinch on plastic stopper. I like these because it keeps the weight off the knot/hook and bait. https://www.malolotackle.com/GIFs/84.jpg

Super fun day, especially watching my son bait and hook tuna in a wide open bite. Tuna were down approx 30ft but would come up and foam on chummed baits. You didn't need to cycle back to drift the patty so much. We were able to keep the tuna with us (by chumming a few baits) over 100 yards downwind of the patty.

Jake YFT - Sept 14th 2014.jpg

Reactions: kevin.st
Upvote 0