PENN

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
Went out on the San Diego Saturday. Seems like the bite died down for most boats that day but Capt Matt found a couple schools willing to stick to the boat. First school were bigger model yellowfin that would only bite the lighter lines. 25lb mono topshot with size 2 j hooks got bit well. We went looking after this school stopped biting and found a second school made up of the football sized tuna. These fish wanted to die. The guys fishing the popper were killing it. After this school stopped biting we had a couple troll stop on the dolphin schools on the smaller grade tuna. We had three more stops that ended up with 1-3 fish per stop before we ran out of time. Boat ended up back in past 7pm. Capt Matt and the crew were amazing. Amato cooked up some good grub. And we ended the day with 84 yellowfin tuna and a couple skipjack. My group of 4 ended up with 18 yellowfin. Here's a pic of a couple of my bigger fish.
FullSizeR (1).jpg

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Nice. Was telling guys on these school yft. J hook catches more when finicky. No time to let them hook themselves on circle, they feel it and drop it. 1-2 J hook as soon as they pick it up SWING!!

Reactions: James Taylor
Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
I fish the j hooks just like a circle. When they pick up the bait, I put my reel in gear and start winding it'll it gets right, always hook them in the corner of the mouth. They wanted butt hooked dines when drifting and got one on a nose hooked dine on the slide. They were keyed in on the small to mid size poppers. Saw a couple Colt sniper fish but I was getting bit so well on poppers that I didn't really try the Colt snipers.

Upvote 0