Offshore 9/08 Dodos and 1 Skippy

taylorjames

Sep 3, 2015
Marina Del Rey
Name
Taylor McMonigle
Boat
Marlin Cabo Cuddy 216
Launched the boat out of Daveys in LB around 5:20am and headed to Nachos to pick up a scoop. 4-6" dines with no macs mixed in. We sat around the barge for a good 25min to pull in 30-50 macs. We headed out of the harbor in a glassy long period swell that allowed us 27 knts to our destination.

Once we got close to the 267 we threw out some Rapalas and trolled around looking for paddies. 40 mins and nada so we switched out to some live macs. Nothings working so we pull them in and start looking around for paddies with a bit more speed.

At around 9:45 we spot a handful of boats and head that way, as we get closer we see a small paddy in the middle of the bunch. We don't see anyone bent but as we pull around the the back of the group to set our drift we see a couple big dorado breeze under our skiff. We throw out some live bait and after a few minutes we have one on. It started to pick up about 30 minutes later, we would hook up 2 or 3 every drift.

I am surprised to say that with at least 8 boats on the paddy, no one was right on it and everyone was pretty respectful of it.

We went 11 for 16 on the dorados and 1 for 1 on a skipjack. The biggest Dodo was 40". Everything was bit on sardines with small hooks. Nothing bit the macs. We used half of our scoop for chum.

On the way back we stopped at some birds 10 miles out of long beach and the motor shuts off at idle. I thought maybe we ran out of gas but it seemed really unlikely as we only ran about 100 miles and the boat should hold 118 gallons (Thats what the old owner told us and we've never had it empty before, always fill her up after a trip and no fuel gauge). I call vessel assist and they are out with some more gas in about 45 min. I throw the gas in and try to start, nada. I continue tinkering with things for 10 min but nothing is helping the situation. We get them to tow us in the last leg and help us on the trailer. That last leg of the trip took us 1hr 20 min at 6 beers an hour. We tipped the vessel assist with a good sized dodo for good measure.

All in all it was a great trip!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

taylorjames

Sep 3, 2015
Marina Del Rey
Name
Taylor McMonigle
Boat
Marlin Cabo Cuddy 216
Did Lynndeva poached on your patty too? :D

That is a nice haul!

HAHA no, there were about 10 drama free boats around the patty we were at. We did see two boats hooked to each others line screaming fish on though. We were dying. One was yelling "you've got my line" the other screams back "No ive got a fish!" this went on for a couple minutes until one guy free spools with his tail between his legs.

Reactions: Killsfish
Upvote 0

Killsfish

Almost A Member
May 15, 2008
Los Angeles
Name
Darren
Boat
Sold
We'd have been honored to share a patty with Lynndeva. At one point I counted 13 other boats on the patty and everyone was CIVIL.:appl:

Thanks for the invite, Taylor, that certainly was a lot of fun! Hit me up when you get back from your trip if you want some smoked dorado.:)

Upvote 0

PoolSmart

Almost A Member
Nov 26, 2006
So Cal
Name
Rick
Boat
Blackman 20 Express
Nice job loading up.
We cruised by and decided not to crash the party and moved on to try to find our own. After finding a few paddies with nobody home, and reading your post I'm second guessing the decision to move on.

Reactions: Killsfish
Upvote 0