dutra

Almost A Member
May 12, 2007
california
Name
Dutra
Boat
ding-a-ling
Drifted around alcatraz from 8am til bout 1. Using jumbo sardines for 2 halibut and one nice white seabass. Bass went 40 pounds and 51". The halibut were small. Largest halibut went 6 pounds. Bay was like a lake

DSCN0613.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

fish004.jpg

the baby halibut

DSCN0610.jpg

Upvote 0

dutra

Almost A Member
May 12, 2007
california
Name
Dutra
Boat
ding-a-ling
I hear of a few caught outside every year also the alameda rock wall is a place inside where they are caught. Not as thick as so cal.

Upvote 0

CrimsonRider

Dude!
Mar 19, 2006
Reno/Sacramento
www.myspace.com
Name
Adam
Boat
Working on getting one
Nice fish! Hey, those small halibut are really good eating. What type of bait were you drifting? Live or frozen? Small or Big? I keep hearing more and more reports of WSB being caught in the Bay and outside the Gate. I wonder if someone will catch a yellowtail this year; I heard that YT have been caught all way up in Oregon. It's rare, but WSB are rare, too.

Upvote 0

Albacrazy

NUCKIN FUTS 4 2NA
Sep 24, 2006
Vegas
Name
Drew
Boat
18' Coleman
Nice fish! My buddy caught a small one outside the Gate at Baker Beach a few years ago but it was a little 12 lber. Congrats!

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Carmel, CA
    Name
    john
    Boat
    not crazy enough yet
    They are coming back with the near shore gillnet ban. Lets hope for the future!

great score btw.

Upvote 0

dutra

Almost A Member
    May 12, 2007
    california
    Name
    Dutra
    Boat
    ding-a-ling
    Nice fish! Hey, those small halibut are really good eating. What type of bait were you drifting? Live or frozen? Small or Big? I keep hearing more and more reports of WSB being caught in the Bay and outside the Gate. I wonder if someone will catch a yellowtail this year; I heard that YT have been caught all way up in Oregon. It's rare, but WSB are rare, too.

Crimson I was using live sardines. They're pretty big baits. I'd say they average maybe 7 inches. Got them from the bait dock in Berkeley. I added a stinger treble hook to my rig because the baits are so big I was getting a lot of fish to bite but nothing would stick. Oh, those halibut are some of the best I've ever had.

Upvote 0

fujirose

Jan 17, 2009
    Roseville, CA
    Name
    Jim Fujitani
    Boat
    21' Seaswirl
    Nice job on the WSB! That's a nice fish! I'm sure it was a great experience to bring it in on halibut gear. I'm still waiting for my chance to boat one of those rare WSB while drifting the bay for hali's.

Jim

Upvote 0

spike

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 6, 2006
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    Spike Ivins
    Boat
    any chance I get
    The locals keep it on the wraps, their are some decent PB catches up that way everyear.

Congrats on your catch.

Upvote 0

dutra

Almost A Member
    May 12, 2007
    california
    Name
    Dutra
    Boat
    ding-a-ling
    Nice job on the WSB! That's a nice fish! I'm sure it was a great experience to bring it in on halibut gear. I'm still waiting for my chance to boat one of those rare WSB while drifting the bay for hali's.

Jim

Nearly spooled my penn squidder 140. Had to have my buddy fire up the boat to gain some line.

Upvote 0

bajajeffy

Oct 30, 2007
    Las Vegas NV
    Name
    Jeff Vogl
    Boat
    21ft. Proline Bahamachi
    Damn!!!! Thats a nice fish! I never caught or saw anything like that the 10 years I lived in and fished the bay. Helluva nice job!!!!!

Upvote 0

dutra

Almost A Member
    May 12, 2007
    california
    Name
    Dutra
    Boat
    ding-a-ling
    I was more than shocked when that thing came up. Is that a broomtail in your avatar? I'm going to cabo on the 18th and would like to get one of those

Upvote 0

pier_rat

May 20, 2008
    Arroyo Grande
    Name
    Weston
    Boat
    None

in 90 sumthin 2 yellowtail were caught a kodiak island AK

Upvote 0