8ft vs 9ft

Jamaro11

Aug 14, 2015
Orange County
Name
Juan
Boat
nope...
Shopping around for another rod and wanted to see what peoples preferences are when throwing iron anywhere from 30#-50#. Would mainly be overnighters, 3/4 days, and occasional Baja trips. I am sure I have seen this topic before, but couldn't find it. Any pros and cons would be appreciated. I know a lot would depend on the blank, but I am just curious to know if the differences are really noticeable when comparing the same blank in 8 and 9 foot models.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

El ritchie

Jun 9, 2015
San ysidro
Name
Richard meza
Boat
None
Just started with jig sticks but I've been told that the longer the rod the harder it is on you, and also longer rods cast longer as well

Upvote 0

Jamaro11

Aug 14, 2015
Orange County
Name
Juan
Boat
nope...
Just started with jig sticks but I've been told that the longer the rod the harder it is on you, and also longer rods cast longer as well
That's what I've been hearing as well. I fish 8 footers and was wondering if the difference in punishment is really that much when moving up.

Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
Aug 19, 2006
Laguna Niguel
Name
Luke
Boat
none
It is pretty simple, most anglers will get greater casting distance with a 9' jig stick over an 8' jig stick. I consider myself to be in the upper 10% in my casting ability. I use the premier reel, Trinidad 20 DC and I get more distance with the 9' jig stick. I get even more with my 10' jig stick. Yes, both give the fish more leverage than an 8' jig stick. On any given trip you might hook a couple fish on the surface iron. Yes I have been on trips where the surface iron fishing is wide open but that is rare. I have decided that the benefits of distance far out weights the more painful battle. With that said, using the rail works very effectively with the right jig stick.

I hope this helps.

Luke

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
My preference for jig sticks closer to 8 feet is a function of their practicality on a sportboat. Fighting a fish on a long rod is a pain for the fisherman, but it's also a pain for all the other fishermen and the crew. I end up getting in a lot more casts with an 8-footer because I don't feel comfortable swinging a longer rod when the baitmongers drift up to toward the bow. They never watch where they're going....

Upvote 0

Bigfattuna

Jul 27, 2011
El Cajon (East San Diego)
Name
Kevin Menna
Boat
Yours
Blanks do have a lot to do with the equation. Action, line rating etc. But I have fished 90Js and 8foot XHJ and the difference, if any, is minimal in casting difference between rods. Reels may be the main difference in casting distance. IMO I agree with pmurphy regarding fishing cattleboats.

Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
Name
Lalas5
Boat
None
First off I'm a deckhand on sportboats and to our crew if u can fish a 10 footer on jigs then do it we don't care. We all have 9'-10' jigsticks each of us own prob about 4-7 sticks a piece. Yes fishing a longer rod makes u work harder to land the fish if u don't know how to pull on a long rod which is a lot different than a shorter stick. We all fish 7'5"-10' sticks depending on situation or what we have at the time. U can cast a lot farther wit a 10 footer but there r many factors each rod throws certain jigs properly which means loading the rod in the cast, the reel u have on that rod which some do better on different rods. We have penn 99s hot rodded to the max, torium 20hg, saltist bg 35, and Avet jx fixed up to cast like a star drag. Each one for us works best on certain rods wit certain jigs. And yes we spent a whole day doing this and all of us casting each other's gear to get best feel and reviews.

Best thing to do is go out on a sport boat and ask crew or fellow angler's if u can try out there long rods and say ur looking at getting one but don't know what u like or not.

Seeker makes a 540 blank and it's a great jigstick. I have 2 of them one full length more 30# light 40# throws anything from 7x on down very well then other one is cut down 3" off tip and 3" off butt to make 9'6" that throws 7x, starman 112, and similar size jigs great. Also, another great one that's similar to 540 is the new seeker SSR ulua I've had it for a month and have hooked and landed a 35# yt on a 7x jig in 2 minutes pulling hard keeping reel high and tight to my chest short pumping. Good example is to watch the Jig chuckers ball on inside sportfishing and u can see Allen Fay do it on his Calstar 550 9' 20-80 stick on a penn 500. He does what I also do to help them up and from turning their heads

Reactions: critical
Upvote 0

daweez

Mar 11, 2011
Fullerton, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
no boat here
Check out the United composites 10' wahoo. Casts great with a lot backbone but doesn't hurt to pull on it. I have a torium 20hg on it. My last trip I got 8 yellows on the iron and never once got my ass kicked. The yellows weren't huge 15-20lb but that setup can handle much larger fish. You just need to try and pull on different setups

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
From a PB, go with the 8'. You don't need that extra bit of distance and it makes it more fun.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Walnut Creek CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Juan, use as long a rod as you can manage. You will know when you are comfortable with a rig. It takes time to learn the most effective techniques for casting/fighting/landing with long rods. I am still learning too.

The basic trade-off is longer rod equals longer casts but less leverage when landing the fish. You need to be hyper-aware on party boats of course! Start with 8', get comfortable with it and move up to 9', then 10' and so on.

Depending on the lure and fish targeted, I like a 690J for 30 lbs. and a 90J cut down 2 inches from the butt for 40 lbs. For 50 lbs., the SSCJBF80H is a good choice; the SSCJBF80XH for 60 lbs. also makes sense to me.

All of this is personal preference of course. I have friends who rarely use less than 10 footers for jigs! Choose what works for you...

- Jeff Burroughs

Upvote 0

Jamaro11

Aug 14, 2015
Orange County
Name
Juan
Boat
nope...
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the suggestions! Have fished mainly 8 footers and feel that a 9 footer would be a great addition/challenge. Good point about getting comfortable with the long rod. I plan on getting a good amount of practice before taking it on a SB. I have always been pretty good about watching my surroundings and keeping my eye on the jig, but everyone's responses hit home that I will need to pay even closer attention when throwing with the 9 footer.

Upvote 0