RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Alright guys, I need to round out the rigs and get a lightweight rod, mostly for calicos and inshore rockfish. Mostly fishing big hammer swimbaits, etc. Will hopefully be matching with a Shimano Curado 301e and 50lb braid.

I know there are a TON of great rods out there, but I'm on a pretty tight budget. I'm hoping to spend 75-125.

My brother has a Shimano Clarus 7ft, and I like the rod. However, it seems most guys are liking the 8ft rods for this kind of stuff. The normal bass Clarus doesn't come in 8ft, so I found this Salmon Clarus in 8ft.

What do you think about this rod? Shimano Clarus Salmon & Steelhead Casting Rod CSC80MHB ( http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-clarus-salmon-steelhead-casting-rods.html )

I don't know why it is specifically made for Salmon, but the specs seem to think it will be just fine for what I need to do?

Would love to hear all your thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc!

Thanks,
Ryan

Upvote 0

Kin

o_O
Oct 10, 2010
San Gabriel
Name
Kin
Boat
ODC 420
Salmon Claris is more moderate action, don't get me wrong, it'll get the job done, but you want more backbone to pull the mean ones out. Shadow stalkers have a lot to offer. But if you I can find an older model teramar, they can be found for the 100 dollar range these days new

Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Salmon Claris is more moderate action, don't get me wrong, it'll get the job done, but you want more backbone to pull the mean ones out. Shadow stalkers have a lot to offer. But if you I can find an older model teramar, they can be found for the 100 dollar range these days new

I was thinking the salmon rods would be more like a 'noodle' but everything I've looked at, they have rods in fast and extra-fast action... thus I would assume they are fine...

I did find some Teramars on a site on 'sale' for about 120... That may be the way to go... What is the exact differences between the Teramar and the Clarus? Of course I am seeing there are like 4 different kinds of Teramars, southeast, northeast, west coast, etc etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
I think I'm going to go with the Teramar TMCX711MHBRA for around 128 unless someone steers me away!
That particular model makes a pretty decent Calico stick for the price IMO.
BTW those rods were on close-out sale for $99 at many shops this summer. You might wanna call shops around to see if there's any left.
One thing you should check before you buy is to make sure it has spine angle properly set. A lot of Teramar rods I've seen were wrapped on a wrong spine angle.

Reactions: mackereljoe
Upvote 0

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
That particular model makes a pretty decent Calico stick for the price IMO.
BTW those rods were on close-out sale for $99 at many shops this summer. You might wanna call shops around to see if there's any left.
One thing you should check before you buy is to make sure it has spine angle properly set. A lot of Teramar rods I've seen were wrapped on a wrong spine angle.

Wow, 99 bucks is sure nice! Living 4 hours north of LA doesn't make my shopping options very easy....I kind of doubt any shops (all 3 of them) have them in my area... but I guess all shops can ship rods from down south...

If they are closed-out, what is the new version of the Teramar TMCX711MHBRA?

Upvote 0

loosendrag

Jul 13, 2006
Greater Los Angeles Area
Name
John
Boat
None
Wow, 99 bucks is sure nice! Living 4 hours north of LA doesn't make my shopping options very easy....I kind of doubt any shops (all 3 of them) have them in my area... but I guess all shops can ship rods from down south...

If they are closed-out, what is the new version of the Teramar TMCX711MHBRA?
I'm not sure if that particular rod model is completely discontinued or not.
Ones with brown blank went on sale when the new version came out in July this year.
The new version has gray/silver color blank while the old ones are in brown.

Reactions: RyanErb
Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Teramar.

Reactions: Alex400 and RyanErb
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
You can find a lot of good choices right above $100 at turners: shadow stalker, Abu volatile, graftech, CCS ect. Lots of these can be found for less used.

Upvote 0

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
Long Beach
Name
Joey
Boat
None
Those are some pretty solid advices, if you have the reel, take it with you and see how it balance. Not sure if the tackle shop will let you string it up and lift a #5 weight.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    There are a lot of ways to fish calico's. I went fishing with Benny Florentino this year and all his rods were Teramar (he's a Shimano pro). The rods were mostly 8' & 9' and up to heavy 9' with a Tranx. Lighter sticks (somewhat) for swim baits and heavier for the iron. What surprised me is that he fished a lot of 80 spectra and some 65 to pull jigs and fish out of the weeds and for abrasion resistance. Far from finese rigs I have sometimes used. Just another thought.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    BTW I have a 300EJ on a Terez, similar to a Teramar I like for waxwing and plastic too.

Upvote 0